For the love of god turn of the status light

Fralle

Please!!! I recently bought the Wiim pro plus and I like it a lot, except for all of my album art turns out blurry playing form my NAS (still awaiting follow up there) and the status light being always on. In a lot of light conditions it makes me really uncertain if it is on or off. I actually have to turn the unit on to see the difference in light strength to be sure. It would not even be that big of a deal if it wasnt for the fact that the standby setting is unreliable. A lot of times Iv'e stopped the music and left home, then to get back to find that music has actually been playing for hours. If the status light would actually go completely off I would be certain before leaving my home in a rush.

After reading earlier posts it actually seems that absolutely no one likes this status light behavior, and that on previous firmware it actually did go off? So why then cant you make a simple update and change this back?

How about:
* device OFF -> LED ON half brightness
* device ON -> LED OFF
That's how the LED on the TV works anyway, and perhaps many other consumer electronics.
Totally different scenarios, though. When the TV is on, you get a very strong visual feedback confirming this status. ;)

It's exact the opposite situation.

I would like to support Fralle with his request. With my Apple TV, it is exactly as you would imagine. When it is switched on, the LED lights up. When it is switched off, it does not light up. Actually quite normal and logical.
I've been asking myself since I've owned the WiiM why this was implemented differently here. Why does the LED have to light up even when it's switched off? What's the point behind it? The engineers at WiiM must have thought of something ... but what?
Thank you for being on my team!;) I cant understand how this can be controversial. What you are suggesting (that is the exact thing I want) is how audio products work, Wiim being an exception.

I used to have an old all in one hifi that had an LED that only came on when it was off. It was a dull red.
This seems to be the best answer.

I returned my Wiim Pro, not because it wasn't a good device and not specifically because of the weird status light - I turned it off because in my dimly lit listening room it was blindingly bright - but that left me not knowing if it was on or off.

I got the Wiim to replace a Pixel tablet which I've been using to stream via USB to a DAC, I wanted to free up the relatively expensive tablet and allow for remote control via the app. I'm guessing that because the tablet was connected to the DAC via USB, setting the DAC to standby automatically paused Amazon music running on the tablet but with the Wiim connected via optical, the Wiim would continue streaming and I would be none the wiser.

Apart from tying up my tablet to play music the only other thing I wasn't happy with was having to get off the sofa to select music, that's why I chose the Wiim as a possible replacement, but not being able to modify the Amazon playlist and no Google assistant voice commands just added to the feeling that I was trading down, so it went back.

Honestly the thing uses less than 5w of power when it's on, meaning it costs about $0.10 after 200 days of being left on 24/7, disable the light and be happy :)

Honestly the thing uses less than 5w of power when it's on, meaning it costs about $0.10 after 200 days of being left on 24/7, disable the light and be happy

But it keeps streaming even when the DAC is off.

Did it ever go to showing "no music" playing in the app or was it always playing something? Mine goes to "nothing playing" if I pause the stream for about 10 minutes, and I have to reconnect tidal connect to get the music to carry on.

I only use Amazon U music and I have the keep playing something setting on. With the Pixel tablet as soon as the DAC is off, it pauses the track so I'm confident I haven't left something streaming. When I switch off for the night, I just turn off the DAC + amps, I don't have to pause the app. Just a minor point but annoying just the same. A USB connection to the Wiim would probably fix it.

Honestly the thing uses less than 5w of power when it's on, meaning it costs about $0.10 after 200 days of being left on 24/7, disable the light and be happy :)
In some cases (such as mine), it also keeps the DAC and power amp on via the 12v trigger

I only use Amazon U music and I have the keep playing something setting on. With the Pixel tablet as soon as the DAC is off, it pauses the track so I'm confident I haven't left something streaming. When I switch off for the night, I just turn off the DAC + amps, I don't have to pause the app. Just a minor point but annoying just the same. A USB connection to the Wiim would probably fix it.
I would advise pausing the App would solve all of your issues, especially as if you are using the 12v trigger, the WiiM can then also put your devices into standby.

If my WiiM is on and I press the power button on the remote, my WiiM turns off. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

If my WiiM is on and I press the power button on the remote, my WiiM turns off. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?
Not everyone uses the RC. Mine is still living in the box, because it's not neccesary in my configuration.

Back