Looking for cable to use for usb-c into toslink in for iPad mini.

dacaesar

I have my new Wiim Pro Plus running pretty well using Amazon Music and my JRiver DLNA feeding my personal library. However, I would also like to enjoy Apple Music without using Airplay for maximum sound quality. I have an iPad mini (USB-C) that I'd like to directly plug into the Wiim spdf input (Toslink?). I don't see many cables out there that provide that functionality.

My son tried a lot of this converters for similar connecting an iPad USB-C for exactly your reason. Not a single one of this adapters/converters brought Apple Music to his NAD C700. So I am not optimistic that the Mini will react different. But if you try and are successful I would like to read your recipe!

Isn’t the issue that an iPad usb output is a digital stream and the WiiM’s input is PCM? The WiiM devices would need to have USB input for that to work which they don’t.
Maybe use a small “dongle” DAC like the IFi Go Link and use its analogue output into the WiiM. I guess alternatively you may be able to find a DAC with a USB input and an optical PCM output.

Isn’t the issue that an iPad usb output is a digital stream and the WiiM’s input is PCM? The WiiM devices would need to have USB input for that to work which they don’t.
Maybe use a small “dongle” DAC like the IFi Go Link and use its analogue output into the WiiM. I guess alternatively you may be able to find a DAC with a USB input and an optical PCM output.
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have an iFI Go, but I don't see how that would be result in any higher resolution than streaming via Airplay.
My son tried a lot of this converters for similar connecting an iPad USB-C for exactly your reason. Not a single one of this adapters/converters brought Apple Music to his NAD C700. So I am not optimistic that the Mini will react different. But if you try and are successful I would like to read your recipe!
Which is why I think I'm going to move to Qobuz and away from Apple Music. Its interface with the WiiM Pro Plus is also much better than with Amazon Music as well. Now that they have also CarPlay, I see few reasons to not do it. Vive la France!

I use this $20 Cubilux USBA to Toslink with my iphone so that I can play full res apple music throught the Wiim Pro. My setup is: iphone>"camera adapter">cubilux>opticalcable>wiim.

It works flawlessly. I do this so that I can use the Wiim PEQ to put a bit more bass in and dial out some 2kHz signal that irritates my ears. Honestly though, I can't tell the difference between toslink and Airplay :).

I use this $20 Cubilux USBA to Toslink with my iphone so that I can play full res apple music throught the Wiim Pro. My setup is: iphone>"camera adapter">cubilux>opticalcable>wiim.

It works flawlessly. I do this so that I can use the Wiim PEQ to put a bit more bass in and dial out some 2kHz signal that irritates my ears. Honestly though, I can't tell the difference between toslink and Airplay :).
Thanks! Why would I need the "camera adaptor" to do this as part of this solution? Couldn't I just go out from the iPad mini (usb-c) into the TOSLINK input of the WiiM Pro Plus and get sound that way?

Thanks! Why would I need the "camera adaptor" to do this as part of this solution? Couldn't I just go out from the iPad mini (usb-c) into the TOSLINK input of the WiiM Pro Plus and get sound that way?
You need one or another version of converter to produce S/PDIF (TOSLINK) signal from a USB port. This thread lists a variety of such solutions. From my experience, the better sounding ones are based on an XMOS chip. And the SMSL po100Pro I linked above does not need a camera adapter - you can use pretty much any USB-C to USB-C cable with it. There are cheaper solutions from DOUK audio based on previous generation XMOS, but you would need USB-C to micro USB or USB-A cables with them, still cheaper than Camera Connection Kit

Last edited:
Camera adapter allows simultaneous charging of your iPad.

Back