Mainstream audio is getting afraid

D1N0

Major Contributor
A totally stupid comparison between the WIIM amp and an Onkyo AVR. This stuff has been around for decades and is getting out of fashion. Totally no need to review another run of the mill AVR. Andrew Robinson I long suspect is getting paid for a lot of his 'reviews'

A totally stupid comparison between the WIIM amp and an Onkyo AVR. This stuff has been around for decades and is getting out of fashion. Totally no need to review another run of the mill AVR. Andrew Robinson I long suspect is getting paid for a lot of his 'reviews'
Name me a single one of this "mafia" who isn't a least open to some complaisances. The one good thing is that only a few are supported from YT, because of the many clicks and subscriptions, and are still only a few. And easy to identify.

I gave up listening to Robinson a year or so back. Way too smarmy for my taste, and as for off-screen Kristi....:rolleyes:.

I don't mind someone knocking the WiiM amp if their reasoning is sound, but that review you linked to was disgraceful. I also found their use of the term 'Chi-Fi' in the replies both distasteful and revealing.

Last edited:
Although my opinion is more with @D1N0 and the really relevant of the YTers mostly have no issue with confessing they earn a good part of their life with such videos and that is ok for me. It is up to everyone how and if the reviews have an impact for the purchase decision. Noticing the expenditure and professionalism of their productions makes me sure they do it not for philanthropy only.
I bet one of the most if not the most important stimulus for WiiMs early success was John Darko and his first video. Again, not all is bad with this sort of reviews, but one has to be careful. And especially such high-gloss productions like Robinson's make me doubt that the narrative "no compensation" is true.

I find it strange how Andrew here claims the wiim doesn't perform as it has been shown to perform in every scientific test.

And especially such high-gloss productions like Robinson's make me doubt that the narrative "no compensation" is true.
The unfounded allegation was that they were paid for reviews. Of course, they make money from their YouTube channel through, for example, advertising.

The unfounded allegation was that they were paid for reviews. Of course, they make money from their YouTube channel through, for example, advertising.
And that is not a payment?? An affiliate link in the description? And for only one of the "reviewed" items?

And that is not a payment?? An affiliate link in the description? And for only one of the "reviewed" items?
You mean like in the Darko review for the Wiim Amp? That is how the world works.

You mean like in the Darko review for the Wiim Amp? That is how the world works.
Absolutely agree with you, never said something different. Money makes the world go round. And it was no damnation. But it leaves always a good portion hypocrisy to deny it.

Just listen to this. Yes sponsored but i think he is right. I does,nt has to cost lots of money to have great sound.
And listen to the dissapointment he had when invested thousands of dollars..
And i think he is right about people look about great specs,and how good a product must be if expensive with all the great specs.
But there comes the placebo effect..yes this might be true. Let them do blind listening..i think the cheapaudioman is right.
Yes it can sound better but maybe not so much better then a affordable option.
Again do some blind testing..
The problem with some media is there no one to contradict them as with Andrew for instance.
Yes maybe someone that they know...

Last edited:
I find it strange how Andrew here claims the wiim doesn't perform as it has been shown to perform in every scientific test.
He was using it with big power hungry speakers at high levels. The Jamo's are also 85Db. I am guessing the internal switch mode power supply is not more than 24v 5A. So even less than the 32v supply most tpa3255 amps get. (and it also has to power the streamer, but that is not a lot). So he was setting up the WIIM amp to fail. I do not think he is a tech noob, so I concluded it was intentional.

He was using it with big power hungry speakers at high levels. The Jamo's are also 85Db. I am guessing the internal switch mode power supply is not more than 24v 5A. So even less than the 32v supply most tpa3255 amps get. (and it also has to power the streamer, but that is not a lot). So he was setting up the WIIM amp to fail. I do not think he is a tech noob, so I concluded it was intentional.
But given his own measurements, the wiim would be outputting less than 1W per channel into 8 ohms.
How is that possible?
(He's got 102db sensitive speakers at 10 feet distance, running the amp at 100% according to him, getting peaks of 88db.)

I watched the video and ... there was nothing wrong with what the guy said.

There exist kitchen robots; you know, those big things with lots of attachments and gizmos and attachable parts that chop and blend and mix and do all sorts of things. I think they're great inventions.

But I don't need a blender as I don't make smoothies; and when I make bread, I knead the dough myself.

I would only need the kitchen robot to chop things.

But then I would have a device that takes a lot of space and does the exact same job a Shun Nagare Santoku can do, maybe even at a lower price.

If you need or want a kitchen robot, by all means buy one, it's money well invested!

I am going to get the Ultra (when it comes out one fine day) for my home office as I already have a classic amp, but I'm still undecided what to do about the living room. We will never, ever have a surround system or gaming consoles, maybe - just maybe - a turntable. And we won't be listening to anything at very high volumes. So what would I need a receiver for? I think it's in fact possible that I'll just put my AB amp (has a phono input) and the Ultra in the living room, and get the WiiM Amp for my home office...

Anyways, some of us like knives.

This comic made my night. Still laughing. He bottoms everything I've seen and heard so far.
(A sad peak is naming Gustav Holst the conductor of the iconic Karajan recording of The Planets.)
Warning: Hard to suffer ;-)

Last edited:
But given his own measurements, the wiim would be outputting less than 1W per channel into 8 ohms.
How is that possible?
(He's got 102db sensitive speakers at 10 feet distance, running the amp at 100% according to him, getting peaks of 88db.)
102db for a 1khz test tone at 1m. Heavy bass will put a lot more strain on the amp.

Mainstream audio will be afraid, who will they sell a $2000 cable to, if people get great sound out of a $500 setup with the WiiM amp?

Mainstream audio will be afraid, who will they sell a $2000 cable to, if people get great sound out of a $500 setup with the WiiM amp?
The manufacturers of those things do not need many to sell. The margin is good enough, no high numbers needed. There are so much wealthy people around and they also "just wanna have fun". Sometimes it comes to my mind that a lot of envy is in the air. A bit more sovereignty looks better.

Back