Maximum number of bluetooth devices?

scotrod

Hey All. I'm looking to buy the Wiim Pro Plus because so far it's hitting all my checkboxes, however in the description and technical specs I couldn't find a maximum number of devices that Wiim can pair to.

Most of the cheap DACs on the market support up to 2 or 3, however this is not a cheap device and I have a couple of Alexa devices and smartphones which I want to play music to/stream from.

So, let's say that I want to connect three Alexas to the Wiim Pro Plus, and I have four smartphones in my house that I want to play music from - will I experience any issues with this setup? Can I get an exact number of maximum devices the Wiim can connect to at the same time?

Hey All. I'm looking to buy the Wiim Pro Plus because so far it's hitting all my checkboxes, however in the description and technical specs I couldn't find a maximum number of devices that Wiim can pair to.

Most of the cheap DACs on the market support up to 2 or 3, however this is not a cheap device and I have a couple of Alexa devices and smartphones which I want to play music to/stream from.

So, let's say that I want to connect three Alexas to the Wiim Pro Plus, and I have four smartphones in my house that I want to play music from - will I experience any issues with this setup? Can I get an exact number of maximum devices the Wiim can connect to at the same time?
Does "connect to at the same time" mean playback at the same time?

WiiM can only transmit via Bluetooth to one device. I don't think you can play it on multiple devices at the same time.

If you have the Echo devices, you can include the WiiM in your Alexa speaker group for multi-room playback.

Why Bluetooth? What music sources are you playing?
Spotify, youtube music, jellyfin, home assistant. Maybe I don't understand correctly - could playing music from (let's say) Spotify via my mobile phone means that the streaming will go between Spotify services and Wiim, instead from my phone's bluetooth?

Does "connect to at the same time" mean playback at the same time?

WiiM can only transmit via Bluetooth to one device. I don't think you can play it on multiple devices at the same time.

If you have the Echo devices, you can include the WiiM in your Alexa speaker group for multi-room playback.
I'm more interested if I can pair the Wiim with more phones. I made the mistake to purchase a cheap DAC thay can pair with only two devices. Meaning if I want to play from a third one, I must unpair a smartphone or reset the DAC to pair a new device.

I'm more interested if I can pair the Wiim with more phones. I made the mistake to purchase a cheap DAC thay can pair with only two devices. Meaning if I want to play from a third one, I must unpair a smartphone or reset the DAC to pair a new device.
I don't think Bluetooth is the best way to use WiiM.

Spotify has a feature called Spotify connect. This allows you to connect Spotify and WiiM over Wi-Fi. In this case, the phone acts as a remote control.

Learn more about Alexa from @Brantome. 😊

Spotify, youtube music, jellyfin, home assistant. Maybe I don't understand correctly - could playing music from (let's say) Spotify via my mobile phone means that the streaming will go between Spotify services and Wiim, instead from my phone's bluetooth?
Yeah, if you use Spotify Connect, the audio comes straight from the cloud to your WiiM device, and if you have it in an Alexa Multi Room Music (MRM) group along with some echo devices, Spotify can send the audio direct to the MRM group from the cloud over your local wifi.

For YouTube music and I guess the other services (unless home assistant has some means of doing it), you’d be constrained to one-to-one bluetooth between the phone and the WiiM, or the phone and an echo. The WiiM device similarly will only output to one target device, it can’t be used to distribute audio to multiple echo devices at the same time, for example.

Chromecast is available for Youtube music. This is a similar feature to Spotify connect. If other services have a cast icon, you can still use Chromecast.

I was able to pair the WiiM pro with 4 of my phones. All phones maintain a pair, so there is no need to re-pair them. 🙂

When you switch the WiiM's input to Bluetooth, it reconnects with the last connected device.

I was able to pair the WiiM pro with 4 of my phones. All phones maintain a pair, so there is no need to re-pair them. 🙂

When you switch the WiiM's input to Bluetooth, it reconnects with the last connected device.
Thanks a lot for the information.

Streaming-wise, I believe Wiim got me covered in almost all scenarios. While it doesn't support a direct YT Music integration, the Chromecast feature should do the work for me. I've got a couple of more things to research before purchasing, but I will cover it in a different topic as all my questions were answered here.

Thank you all and have a Happy Holidays!

Back