Firmware updates on multiple devices

Hollywood

Major Contributor
@WiiM Support
@WiiM Team
Hi,
I posted on Jan 14, 2024 about the hassle of the firmware updates, especially when I have 7 Pros and 1 Mini. The post is still relevant as when written, but unlike many other posts, no one from WiiM chimed in.

I WANT the updates. As I wrote, when you start the WHA, it prompts you to update, if you decline, it keeps prompting you for as many times as you have WiiM devices. No mention is indicated as to which device is the update for. Also declining the update(s) only postpones the process. I suggested a setting to OK and have the update(s) install at a set time, like 4AM the next day and reboot if necessary (OR do the update(s) the current method).

I was working on a small household project and had 3 WiiMs linked together so I would have uninterrupted music while down stairs. While mostly in the garage, the music was interrupted by all 3 linked devices update, but I didn't know which update I was starting because the app doesn't tell you.

I bet most WiiM users love the product, and most probably have more then one in their household. Updating several devices is a hassle. As it was, one failed and I had to investigate which one and do a reboot. The reboot fixed it.

Is my suggestion possible? Is there another, better way to streamline the firmware update process?

Thanks. below is the paste from my original post.

from Jan 14, 2024
I have 7 WiiM Pro's and firmware update day consumes much of my time. I start the Android app and the update message appears. I don't know which device it is for. If I accept it, it consumes my phone (and WiiM) for about 5 minutes. If I decline it, another update message appears, presumably for another one of my WiiMs. As it was, one of my WiiM Pros failed the update and it took several attempts.

As I am writing this, I just started the app and it want's to update another device, but I don't know which one. On the device screen there is an arrow symbol near the device name of 2 devices. What does that mean?

Most companies force updates so everyone is on the same platform. I trust WiiM firmware updates will either improve security, fix something, or add features. As a rule, I want the most recent updates.

Unless I am missing something, is there an better way to manage updates? What I would like is a setting that keeps the current method OR lets you set a time that the device could auto update and reboot if necessary when there is a new firmware. I would set it for 4AM and hopefully the process would be transparent. I only start the app when I want to listen to music. When there is an update, often that is not possible. It would be nice if it would update when I don't want to listen to music.

Is there currently an easier way to deal with multiple WiiMs that I am not aware of.

Last edited:
7 Pros and one mini. Wow! Now I’m curious what you connected to them.

I think the green arrow you mentioned means the device has an update pending.

Unfortunately can’t suggest you anything better than to DIY it.
Use WireShark to see what payload is sent from your phone to WiiM when you check and trigger update manually. Then you can run a script on your laptop on schedule.
it is not as hard as it sound. There is no encryption or obscure protocol. Could be a fun weekend project.

I think the green arrow you mentioned means the device has an update pending.

Unfortunately can’t suggest you anything better than to DIY it.
Use WireShark to see what payload is sent from your phone to WiiM when you check and trigger update manually. Then you can run a script on your laptop on schedule.
it is not as hard as it sound. There is no encryption or obscure protocol. Could be a fun weekend project.
WiiMs can be configured in many ways. I do not use a laptop. My music is stored on a Logitech Music Server on a Raspberry Pi. I can administer both the WiiMs and the LMS from my Android phone.

I'm not sure your method would apply to my setup. Thanks for replying though!

1. Living Room: miniDSP SHD, Schitt DAC, Odyssey Kismit amp, Verus V8T 3-Way Dual 8" Towers, SVS SB4000 sub
2. Family Room: miniDSP 2x4HD, Marantz AVR, Marantz power amp, Polk Audio RTi12 towers, SVS SB16-Ultra Subwoofer
3. Office: miniDSP 2x4HD, Denon AVR, Marantz power amp, RTI A7 - towers, Klipsch 12" Subwoofer
4. Master Bedroom: 2 Adam powered bookshelf speakers
5. Master Bath: Awia boom box
6. Garage: ElectroVoice powered 12" stage monitor.
7. Patio/pool: Fiio mini amp, Klipsch outdoor speakers
#. Mini: in a drawer as it does not support Squeezelite.

A few months ago WiiM updated the Pros to act like a Squeezelite player so you can control your WiiMs from a Logitech Media Server. The server costs about $100 to build and the software is all free. With an app called Material skin on your phone and or tablet, you can do pretty much everything you can do with the WiiM app, but also get band photos, info, and lyrics. This all is pretty cool and works great. I didn't start with 7 Pros, but to integrate all music systems in the house was well worth the investment. I am a WiiM fan!

I thought I was out of control with 3 WiiMs. You love your music. Nothing wrong with that. And I agree. I would like to know which one is updating.

Back