Multiroom with Google Home

klaunzi

Hello!

I have a WiiM Amp and several Google Nests. In Google Home I created a Multiroom group using WiiM Amp and one Google Nest Hub. Shouldnt it be possible now using this group out of the WiiM Home App? thanks, Martin

Hello!

I have a WiiM Amp and several Google Nests. In Google Home I created a Multiroom group using WiiM Amp and one Google Nest Hub. Shouldnt it be possible now using this group out of the WiiM Home App? thanks, Martin
No, a Google Home multi room group is a Google construct, not a WiiM construct, so it'll not be visible to the WiiM Home app. Use Google Assistant or a compatible app to play audio to that group.

Thanks! Maybe this will change in future 😊
Unlikely - and the same for Alexa multi room coincidentally. Google probably don't publish an API to allow audio to be sent to their own hardware from third parties, same as Amazon don't for Echo devices.

Unlikely - and the same for Alexa multi room coincidentally. Google probably don't publish an API to allow audio to be sent to their own hardware from third parties
Maybe I've misunderstood, but I can't think of a single audio app I use on Android that doesn't have the ability to cast to Chromecast groups e.g. BubbleUPnP, mconnect, Hi-Fi Cast, Podcast addict e.t.c.

I appreciate that you'll never be able to create groups with both Chromecast and Linkplay technologies (for non-Chromecast devices), but that shouldn't matter for most.

I would have thought it'd be easier than playing to third party UPnP speakers.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently - while apps developed on Android/iOS do indeed cast as you describe, I’m not aware that there’s a means of chromecasting from a WiiM device, not the WiiM app.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently - while apps developed on Android/iOS do indeed cast as you describe, I’m not aware that there’s a means of chromecasting from a WiiM device, not the WiiM app.
Do you mean as a source of music? It's a UPnP server so there shouldn't be any issue.

I’m clearly missing the point you’re making - are you suggesting that it should be non-trivial for the WiiM Home app to play audio to a group comprising WiiM and Google Nest devices I.e. for a WiiM device to redistribute audio amongst non-WiiM devices?

for a WiiM device to redistribute audio amongst non-WiiM devices?
Why is the WiiM device redistributing the audio?
It's surely no different (to the WiiM device) than casting from PlexAmp to a group including a WiiM device, or using the Tidal app to cast.

Is there any affordable app available, beautiful like sonos app or wiim app, but which can multiroom from different sources (music services, Internet Radio, own music) and devices (Like wiim, sonos, Google Devices)?

Is there any affordable app available, beautiful like sonos app or wiim app, but which can multiroom from different sources (music services, Internet Radio, own music) and devices (Like wiim, sonos, Google Devices)?
Not that I’m aware of - while there may be some crossover points for some devices like the use of airplay 2, multi room implementations tend to be proprietary and incompatible.

Back