New WiiM Home app v2.8.7 on iOS

I wonder if this improved efficiency has any affect on the ability to introduce more bands of PEQ and room correction.

In some ways, if the processing is working well now, you don’t need it to be more efficient; only if you’re working well but want to do more.

Last edited:
I don't take that inference at all - it's an improved efficiency for USB Media Library Optimisation. As an ex-programmer (who still occasionally dabbles) if I had a section of code that I could improve and make it run faster with less resources, then I'd do that totally independent of any other function. I think you're adding 2 and 2 and getting 5...

This is the second of third app update I've seen that has mention of improved/optimised scanning. Is the phone somehow involved in the indexing?

This is the second of third app update I've seen that has mention of improved/optimised scanning. Is the phone somehow involved in the indexing?
It would appear so as it asks you to keep the app in the foreground while it’s scanning. The latest app seems to have added genre and folder to the original songs, albums, artists and playlists headings.

Is this a push update, released in phases, similar to firmware update? I'm at 2.8.6

Is this a push update, released in phases, similar to firmware update? I'm at 2.8.6
The app will have been submitted to the Apple App Store and then I guess made available region by region, but they’re generally quick at doing that. It’s unrelated I’d say to how and when WiiM release firmware

I don't take that inference at all - it's an improved efficiency for USB Media Library Optimisation. As an ex-programmer (who still occasionally dabbles) if I had a section of code that I could improve and make it run faster with less resources, then I'd do that totally independent of any other function. I think you're adding 2 and 2 and getting 5...

I defer to your greater experience as a programmer. 👍👍👍

It would appear so as it asks you to keep the app in the foreground while it’s scanning
That's not nice. I guess there's just not enough compute on the Amp itself.
This hybrid approach may help explain why there's been so many issues as MiniDLNA on a Linux OS should have been pretty stable.

The latest app seems to have added genre and folder to the original songs, albums, artists and playlists headings.
I thought in your initial review you said it had the same indexes as MiniDLNA which would have included all of those? Having said that, wasn't that when the local server was available under Home Music Share which I don't think it is now.

That's not nice. I guess there's just not enough compute on the Amp itself.
This hybrid approach may help explain why there's been so many issues as MiniDLNA on a Linux OS should have been pretty stable.

I thought in your initial review you said it had the same indexes as MiniDLNA which would have included all of those? Having said that, wasn't that when the local server was available under Home Music Share which I don't think it is now.
You’ve a better memory than I have 😜

Shortly after the release, they changed the USB interface which as you say was probably based on MiniDLNA to what looks like now, initially just with the four headings which they extended in this latest release.

Back