Optical connection with Mac Mini

HAPPY1

sorry if this is the wrong place for this but i am considering getting the pro plus but I am curious about how it would work with my mac mini.

I currently run digital out from the mac mini to a dac and want to replace my current Dac with the pro plus. my main question is how does the pro plus see this connection and music stored on the mac?

Will i need to install the home app on the mac and point it at the music files? if that's the case will i be able to control the playback of these files via the hoe app on y phone?

Alternatively will the hard wired connection (optical to optical) mean that the home app for the mac isn't needed and the pro plus sees the mac mini as a source?

Sorry for the newby question bt we all have to start somewhere

In your current setup, you appear to be using the Mac mini as a player and sending the resulting digital stream over a wired connection to your DAC.

With the Pro Plus, the WiiM Home app will be able to see your Mac mini files if you have some sort of upnp media server running on it. Googling “Mac upnp server” throws up apps like Fire Stream and Serviio, but it also appears the excellent MinimServer is available there too - I’d strongly suggest that as the best solution.

In your current setup, you appear to be using the Mac mini as a player and sending the resulting digital stream over a wired connection to your DAC.

With the Pro Plus, the WiiM Home app will be able to see your Mac mini files if you have some sort of upnp media server running on it. Googling “Mac upnp server” throws up apps like Fire Stream and Serviio, but it also appears the excellent MinimServer is available there too - I’d strongly suggest that as the best solution.

Thanks Brantome,

I see the free version of the software is a bit limited so do i need the full version of minimserver to manage playlists, recently added etc or will the wiim home app do all that?

Thanks Brantome,

I see the free version of the software is a bit limited so do i need the full version of minimserver to manage playlists, recently added etc or will the wiim home app do all that?
I wouldn’t expect the WiiM Home app to do all the full version of Minimserver does tbh. Take the free month trial of the full version then decide whether you think it’s worth paying for. I’ve been paying for it for a few years and think it’s well worth it tbh - the usual “less than the price of a cup of coffee” per week/month or whatever ;)

sorry for another question Brantome but i wondered if i connected the Mac mini to the pro plus via optical cable then would the app be able to see the files "cleaner" than having Mac mini as a server? (note i a trying the simplest interface on the wiim app as possible and wondering if this setup wold reduce the clicks to get the the music files

also would this setup access the files quicker than over a wireless network connection

Back