Wiim home app for Mac OS

Geoff Hammond

Looking for advice on controlling a Wiim Mini from a MacBook with an M1 chip running Sonoma OS 14.1.2. I've tried the apps for both Mac OS and iOS (for iPad).

Version 0.1.5 of the Home app for the Mac OS displays my music files correctly in My Music but they don't play. Selecting a file and clicking the 'play' icon toggles to the 'pause' icon but nothing happens: the progress bar stays stuck on 00.00 and there is nothing in the queue.

Version 2.7.3 of the iPad app loads OK on the Mac but doesn't show my music files in 'My Music' and I can't drag and drop the folder with my music files as I can with the Home app for Mac.

Grateful for any advice.

Am I right in thinking you got there in the end?

I don't have macos but if you're still having problems just post in the MinimServer forum and you'll no doubt get excellent support.
The issue seems to be the one identified by whodiini above. Minimserver works running the home app on my iPhone but not on my M1 Mac either with the native Mac OS app (version 0.1.5) or the iOS app (version 2.7.4).

Is it worth raising this with Wiim support?

The issue seems to be the one identified by whodiini above. Minimserver works running the home app on my iPhone but not on my M1 Mac either with the native Mac OS app (version 0.1.5) or the iOS app (version 2.7.4).
Are you saying that the ios app when installed on a mac doesn't show MinimServer?

I've just installed the Windows version of the Home app, and assuming the mac app is similar then you're really not missing out, the only indexes it offered were Genres > Albums and Artists (Track). It did allow me to browse my MinimServer instance but uses a tree view style approach for display with each index/branch expanding fully after selection (see attached image).

If the ios app on your mac isn't allowing you to browse your MinimServer instance then yes I'd raise a ticket.

Attachments

• WindowsBetaApp.jpg
    WindowsBetaApp.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Are you saying that the ios app when installed on a mac doesn't show MinimServer?

I've just installed the Windows version of the Home app, and assuming the mac app is similar then you're really not missing out, the only indexes it offered were Genres > Albums and Artists (Track). It did allow me to browse my MinimServer instance but uses a tree view style approach for display with each index/branch expanding fully after selection (see attached image).

If the ios app on your mac isn't allowing you to browse your MinimServer instance then yes I'd raise a ticket.
Correct: the iOS app on my Mac doesn't show MinimServer.

Might stick to the iPhone app for now--at least it plays the music files stored on a USB memory stick plugged into my router. Scanning other posts in this forum shows pretty widespread dissatisfaction with either the iOS or Mac OS Beta app on a Mac computer.

Might stick to the iPhone app for now--at least it plays the music files stored on a USB memory stick plugged into my router.
The WiiM indexing is basic (especially the desktop apps but even the WiiM Amp) as is the WiiM Home Apps UPnP browsing functionality. If it meets your needs then that's great as you can get away with a single app to control everything, but most people are using third party apps.

There must be a UPnP server running on your router (probably MiniDLNA) as the WiiM Home App doesn't index network shares.

I loaded WiiM Home app for native Mac OS (Intel silicon) and it spent all day finding my files on a network drive, was still spinning and indexing or whatever when I went to bed - but unfortunately this morning it won’t load, just bounces around in the dock forever. I tried it a while back and it did the same thing, so not further development obviously… pity as it looked quite nice displaying the albums it had found, getting my own music to play on the Wiim Pro (without just Airplaying them) looks to be a hard job without a NAS or some kind of server app.

getting my own music to play on the Wiim Pro (without just Airplaying them) looks to be a hard job without a NAS or some kind of server app.
There are a number of software packages that can be installed on the Mac to make your collection available for streaming, such as MinimServer, it's controlling the playback from any desktop that's more problematic. The world has moved to phones/tablets and that's where all the good controllers are.

Back