Pandora login failed

dexubdg

It worked and then it stopped. Currently, even though I entered the password correctly, I cannot log in to Pandora from WiiM Pro. It works fine on the computer.

FYI: this happens to me anytime the WiiM player's "Preferred DNS Server" setting (in Settings / Network Status) gets set to "Off". And that can happen, as I understand it, if there's a network problem with my router, or ISP, etc. WiiM's software attempts to recover by disabling that option, at least for a while, but that creates that issue with Pandora. You might check that setting if you lose access to Pandora in the future.

FYI: this happens to me anytime the WiiM player's "Preferred DNS Server" setting (in Settings / Network Status) gets set to "Off". And that can happen, as I understand it, if there's a network problem with my router, or ISP, etc. WiiM's software attempts to recover by disabling that option, at least for a while, but that creates that issue with Pandora. You might check that setting if you lose access to Pandora in the future.
Good observation. I don't think that I've seen this behaviour but will look for it in the future. Currently, I run with Preferred DNS Server = off.

Preferred DNS Server is a 'belt and suspenders' feature where this feature when enabled ensures that the WiiM device can find a DNS service (i.e. Google's DNS) even if your ISP's DNS service goes down. Preferred sets Google's DNS as the first DNS source for DNS name lookup followed by your ISP's DNS service and likely your ISP's backup DNS service -- it's a failover pattern if the highest priority service isn't available. Preferred DNS Server sets DNS on the WiiM device only and not on your phone/tablet.

Pandora and many other services do geo-locating, so just make sure that the DNS service that your phone itself points to (i.e. your phone's internal DNS setting) and DNS service that your WiiM points to (i.e. the WiiM app DNS setting which pokes your WiiM device) are the same or are located in the same geography. Without knowing the exact setup that you have, you may be running into geo-location issues which block login. The Preferred DNS Server = off that you observed may result in WiiM device and phone pointing to different DNS services which then triggers Pandora geo-location related login failures.

Hopefully that gives another take on what you may be seeing. If the 2 parts of the DNS puzzle are the same, then things work better. I have a WiiM Amp and Android phone, so your experience may be different.

Reactions: RSF
Thanks for that information. I actually have DNS server addresses configured on my router, overriding the ISP's DNS addresses (supposedly the override versions are faster / more reliable / more secure). That should apply to all devices on my network, but ... if that Pandora issue happens again, I'll see if reverting to the ISP defaults fixes that behavior.
Your mention of geo-location is interesting as well -- recently my ISP seems to have gotten a new batch of IP addresses, which don't seem to be recognized as being associated with any location (Google Maps opens to the entire country instead of my city as before, and I had to override my devices' time zone since automatic time-zone detection was locating me three time zones to the east). Maybe that's part of the issue, and is specific to my ISP.

Back