Pro Plus or Mini

cwhite

Some advice is needed! My system comprises of a Audiolab MDAC (with an ESS Sabre32 9018 chip) into a Cyrus Pre-amp, then into two Cyrus Power amps. I stream Hi-res Tidal into a laptop that is connected to the MDAC via USB. Given that time and technology has moved on is it worthwhile purchasing the Wimm Pro Plus to take advantage of its inbuilt DAC or will I be well served by the Wiim Mini in Bit Perfect straight through mode. Any thoughts would be most welcomed.

@cwhite
My very subjective meaning to your question: if you really want to go the WiiM route with your very fine equipment I would go for a Pro without Plus.
a. your MDAC is for sure already a good enough choice, so I see no need for a Plus and
b. the Mini only offers wifi which for me would be a no go, ymmv

Thank you for your prompt and v useful reply. Though I have been playing around with computer audiophile for many years I never went down the streaming pathway.

I can see that the Pro will allow me to connect to the pre amp in two ways (TosLink from Pro and Line Out via RCA using inbuilt DAC) allowing my ears to judge what sounds best. It’s greater range of inputs will also be useful (tv etc)

Is there anything else that that I should be aware of and explore further.
Many thanks

Last edited:
If funds allow, the Pro/Pro+ would be more futureproof and provides more options than the Mini.
Watch for upcoming Black Friday sales.

One consideration perhaps: will you someday want to do multiroom? If so I believe you will need multiple streamers so cost becomes a factor?

Back