Qobuz versus Tidal for WiiM Pro Plus

ZoydWheeler

Hi all
I’m using Tidal’s basic £10.99 a month hifi service and I’m loving the user experience.
However, as I’ve just upgraded to a new Naim Nait 5i amp I’m interested to know what the higher resolution offerings would be like from both Tidal and Qobuz.
What are the pros and cons of each? And is that “hi res” level of sound quality genuinely noticeable on a significant part of the Tidal library (as £120 extra a year is not a small amount of money). 🙏

Hi all
I’m using Tidal’s basic £10.99 a month hifi service and I’m loving the user experience.
However, as I’ve just upgraded to a new Naim Nait 5i amp I’m interested to know what the higher resolution offerings would be like from both Tidal and Qobuz.
What are the pros and cons of each? And is that “hi res” level of sound quality genuinely noticeable on a significant part of the Tidal library (as £120 extra a year is not a small amount of money). 🙏
tbh, only you can decide if it's worth it. I decided it wasn't!

Do both offer free trials? (Might need to use a different email for tidal as you already have it.)
11 quid a month for the basic tidal hifi plan?? Pretty sure I pay about A$12 a month.

tbh, only you can decide if it's worth it. I decided it wasn't!

Do both offer free trials? (Might need to use a different email for tidal as you already have it.)
11 quid a month for the basic tidal hifi plan?? Pretty sure I pay about A$12 a month.
I am inclined to stick with tidal BASIC, as I like Tidal Connect and I like the sound quality, unless someone can convince me otherwise 😊

I am inclined to stick with tidal BASIC, as I like Tidal Connect and I like the sound quality, unless someone can convince me otherwise 😊
It's a numbers game...
You'll always find someone who will swear blind that the extra khz make a difference ;)
Surely you can upgrade to try it for yourself, and "drop" back down after a month?

To be fair(er), it does seem thar some dacs work better with some input rates than others.
Mine, for example, seems to like 105.47khz

Doubt the Naim will be noticeably superior, is very unlikely to reproduce anything more than 16 bits if this is anything like it.

Hi all

In my experience regarding sound quality there is no audible difference between cd and high resolution. Others think different.
In Germany the price gap for a single user account of Tidal is 10.99 to 19.99 Euro. Which indeed is high. You can save money with a family account or by paying yearly.
Qobuz or Tidal? From sound for me no difference. From catalogue little difference. From price Qobuz is less expensive. Around 5 Euro here. Decide which is better for you from usability, personal preferences or your wallet. If price is an issue I would go with Qobuz. Alternative WiiM offers also the integration of high resolution Amazon Music. If you are already a Prime user and can live with the poor Amazon app it is also worth thinking about to save some money.
I subscribed to the Tidal Hifi Plus tier with the yearly payment because a dac which can handle it was already here. Gives me the feeling to do everything possible.
Your 5i is such a fine piece of technique. It deserves and will love the Pro Plus.
Would feed him the best if the price difference is to afford without financial gymnastics. So go for a high resolution solution. Even if you do not hear differences ;-)
It will sound great with cd quality too. But most likely the question will never disappear in your head if eventually there is however an audible improvement. Have fun!

Last edited:
In my experience regarding sound quality there is no audible difference between cd and high resolution. Others think different.
In Germany the price gap for a single user account of Tidal is 10.99 to 19.99 Euro. Which indeed is high. You can save money with a family account or by paying yearly.
Qobuz or Tidal? From sound for me no difference. From catalogue little difference. From price Qobuz is less expensive. Around 5 Euro here. Decide which is better for you from usability, personal preferences or your wallet. If price is an issue I would go with Qobuz. Alternative WiiM offers also the integration of high resolution Amazon Music. If you are already a Prime user and can live with the poor Amazon app it is also worth thinking about to save some money.
I subscribed to the Tidal Hifi Plus tier with the yearly payment because a dac which can handle it was already here. Gives me the feeling to do everything possible.
Your 5i is such a fine piece of technique. It deserves and will love the Pro Plus.
Would feed him the best if the price difference is to afford without financial gymnastics. So go for a high resolution solution. Even if you do not hear differences ;-)
It will sound great with cd quality too. But most likely the question will never disappear in your head if eventually there is however an audible improvement. Have fun!
Amazing answer - thank you 🙏

Doubt the Naim will be noticeably superior, is very unlikely to reproduce anything more than 16 bits if this is anything like it.

That’s a Naim Uniti Atom review. The Naim Nait 5i is just a high quality analogue amplifier - it won’t have impact on the resolution of the digital signal, all of that work is done adequately by the WiiM Pro Plus.

That’s a Naim Uniti Atom review. The Naim Nait 5i is just a high quality analogue amplifier - it won’t have impact on the resolution of the digital signal, all of that work is done adequately by the WiiM Pro Plus.
It includes an amplifier section, which has a poor SINAD of about 70 dB. Dynamic range of a 16-bit stream is ~ 96 dB. If the Nait performs similarly, the extra bits of 24-bit streams will be buried in the noise floor.

It includes an amplifier section, which has a poor SINAD of about 70 dB. Dynamic range of a 16-bit stream is ~ 96 dB. If the Nait performs similarly, the extra bits of 24-bit streams will be buried in the noise floor.

I find it at least a bit questionable first posting about a totally different all in one device and then this quote "if ..then". Any evidence?

I find it at least a bit questionable first posting about a totally different all in one device and then this quote "if ..then". Any evidence?
Yes, this is what was confusing me. Anyways, the Nait 5 amp is currently playing Qobuz, via my WiiM Pro Plus, and to my ears this easily sounds like the best streaming service I've ever heard.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.png
    IMG_0058.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
"The wideband, unweighted signal/noise ratio, taken with the inputs shorted to ground and with the volume set to its maximum—very much the worst case—were relatively modest, at 63.6dB left and 65.3dB right, both ratios ref. 2.83V into 8 ohms."

"The wideband, unweighted signal/noise ratio, taken with the inputs shorted to ground and with the volume set to its maximum—very much the worst case—were relatively modest, at 63.6dB left and 65.3dB right, both ratios ref. 2.83V into 8 ohms."

Nice to know. Happy with my Naim. My post was not about the figures. Better you've had looked for the right link before ;-) Not very impressive anyway.

@cc_rider
If you have time enough you might find something about the Nait 5i which was mentioned as amp from the thread opener in his initial post.
Eventually you will find the correct article in a third attempt. A 5i isn't a Unity and isn't a 5si.

And while you're arguing over graphs and specification numbers, I'm sat here enjoying Nina Simone in glorious hi-res via Qobuz on my rather marvellous Nait 5i > Ditton 33s. Just enjoy the music! :)

I can't compare the two, as I haven't tried Tidal, but the only contribution I can make is that an annual subscription to Qobuz works out less per month than you're currently paying for Tidal. All the hi-res music you can eat for £10.83 a month. I think the app is absolutely spot on & works beautifully.

Pro+ line out into Yamaha A-S1100 feeding Dynaudio 72SE

Back