Qobuz versus Tidal for WiiM Pro Plus

Using jplay too. But with Tidal ;-) Could not hear any difference. So no reason to change for me.
What about the Hifi Basic and Hifi tier coming together on April 10th?
I must say im very happy with Tidal. Im going to stay.
So on April 10th im getting Hi res?

What about the Hifi Basic and Hifi tier coming together on April 10th?
I must say im very happy with Tidal. Im going to stay.
So on April 10th im getting Hi res?
Personally I am absolutely not able to hear any difference between CD quality and High Resolution as soon as it comes to streaming. (Even with Spotify it is probably not as easy as many say ;-))
Every decision between the "lossless" services does in my ears not effect the sound quality. There are other things. But one of the true words John Darko said once was "to see is to saviour", I guess everyone likes the confirmation he gets when reading the anticipated, promised and paid for high digits.
UIs, price and availability would be the points where the decision is normally made.

Thanks for the replies.
I must say i am very pleased with Tidal.
Bu now i have Spotify and Tidal😀.
I assume that in not the only one with multiple subscriptions ?
I also have youtube premium. For watching videos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
I must say i am very pleased with Tidal.
Bu now i have Spotify and Tidal😀.
I assume that in not the only one with multiple subscriptions ?
I also have youtube premium. For watching videos.
Can you cast Youtube to Wiim to use EQ?

On or therebouts.
And it'll sound better because you want / expect it to ;)
I can hear the difference between Amazon non-HD and HD, not sure about CD vs HiRes. HiRes seems a bit less bright, but that maybe due Amazon or Wiim down sampling.

You can 'Add to my music' (and remove again) within the wiim app when playing tidal.
The main now playing wiim screen doesn't show you if it's alreay added.
You have to press the 3 dot menu to do this - still not available directly on the main screen!

Why not use amazon music app or tidal connect though?
Unfortunately my I-pad is too old. Does support Amazon app. Not sure if it supports tidal connect either :=( Qobuz works well for me. I can save albums or tracks, or create playlist.

Personally, my best experience has been with Amazon Music HD within the WiiM app and Apple Music within Apple TV.

As for the HiRes "hype" - ditch it. Look for recordings with quality Mastering. If the mastering is done well, then the CD quality will cover more than your audio setup can radiate and more than your hearing will allow.

Enjoy the music, forget the numbers.

Can you cast Youtube to Wiim to use EQ?
When you cast audio from the Google home app on your phone to WiiM, and play the video on the Youtube app, the audio will be output from WiiM.

HiRes seems a bit less bright, but that maybe due Amazon or Wiim down sampling.
Amazon provides multiple audio quality files (SD/HD/UHD) for each track. These different files are automatically selected by the user's playback environment.

Therefore, Amazon and WiiM do not need to use down sampling. This is also the case with other Hi-Res streaming services.

When you cast audio from the Google home app on your phone to WiiM, and play the video on the Youtube app, the audio will be output from WiiM.
Thanks for the tips.
Amazon provides multiple audio quality files (SD/HD/UHD) for each track. These different files are automatically selected by the user's playback environment.

Therefore, Amazon and WiiM do not need to use down sampling. This is also the case with other Hi-Res streaming services.
Hmm. The song was recorded only once in HiRes. I assume the record label down sampled it to different quality for Amazon. One interesting thing I notice is when I lower Wiim output resolution, the same track sometimes shows different kbps even though it is showing the same kHz and bits. Looks like there is no relationship between kbps and kHz/bits.

If you really wanna know if you can hear the difference between hi res vs 320kbps mp3 (I believe they used - which is notably BELOW the bitrate in CD 16/44.1) then try this test out... https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality
I can tell the difference especially on acoustic/classical recordings. CD vs 24,/96, I'm not so sure I can do that reliably... but as others have mentioned a lot of the quality of the end product depends on the mixing/mastering. Esp lack of dynamic range sounds pretty terrible even in hi res. 🤷‍♂️

Back