Qobuz & Wiim Pro and Mini

I knew it was nonsense the moment I posted it. But not wanted to act like a coward..

Qobuz's IOS and Android support pages both say:

in 24-bit at 96 kHz in most cases and up to 24-bit at 192 kHz on some devices

So I asked Qobuz if you can really get 24/192 over Chromecast, because we know you can't, and at first I got a stock response:

You can find the list of Qobuz-integrated and compatible brands on our website (in the Our Partners section, https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/discover/apps-partners). If your device does not appear on this list, it is not integrated or compatible with Qobuz. This does not however mean you can’t still use Qobuz with your device.

That didn't answer my question on Chromecast so I went back to them and their response is interesting:

I have checked with our technical department and it looks like the statement up to 192KHZ is a statement from Chromecast that we have adopted. But we have noticed problems and actually 192KHZ is therefore reduced to 96KHZ. Our engineers believe that the Chromecast protocol as provided cannot reliably support 192KHZ. We know that in the past we had customers listening with Wiim Pro with Chromecast in 192KHZ but since the latest Chromecast issues it will now be 96 kHz too. Since we are still talking to Chromecast and working on a update ourselves we are still using the phrasing from Chromecast on our website. If it really turns out to be no longer possible to get 192KHZ via Chromecast, we will adjust this information.

Seems like they got the 192Khz support from Google but when Qobuz engineers are locking it to 96Khz, it is cheeky to still be making this claim. They only fessed up when I sent this link to them:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...qobuz-issues-thread/page/192/#comment-1223331

Seems like Qobuz are saying something on their support pages they know to be false, under the guise "technically" it's possible. Even if actually it isn't because Qobuz resamples 24/192 to 24/96 over Chromecast.

I then asked if 24/192 is getting resampled to 96Khz or 48Khz and they said:
  1. The tracks will be 96Khz not 48Khz. So far we have no issues with Chromecast and 96Khz.
  2. We have only the update that we are further in the development. The first test have not started yet but the team hopes for a release until end of this year. Sadly there are no further details yet. We can't wait for the connect app and to be finally not depending on other services anymore.
Question 2 was me asking for an update on their Qobuz Connect platform.

Yeah, that audiophilestyle link was my query responded to by a Qobuz employee. They’re factually incorrect about WiiM Pro customers getting 24/192 over ChromeCast from their app if that’s what they’re saying - again, I was one of the first to get my hands on a beta Pro which prompted that particular query.

Oh yeah I missed that's your question in the thread. Good job managing to get a response from Qobuz.

Qobuz shouldn't be stating "up to 24-bit at 192 kHz on some devices" in official support pages when they know that's never the case, just because Google told them Chromecast supports 24/192.

I assume that was an internal discussion too because Google never stated this publicly.

I also had to press them for an answer. Their first reply was a stock answer about 24/192 support in general and made no mention of Chromecast. Despite my question only being about Chromecast.

Not sure I believe they've got an active conversation with Google around 24/192 over Chromecast but their response says they're still speaking to Google about it. So fair enough.

It seems clear they publicly want to be vague though, as many customers well just assume they're getting 24/192.

Reading their response again I'm unsure if 24/192 is being resampled to 24/96 or Qobuz serves a 24/96 version.

I'd actually be happy with 24/96. Most tracks aren't 24/192 and I'm not sure I could tell that high up the bitrate chain. The higher up you get the more nuanced the difference seems to be.

Well, it's quite easy to have a 192 kHz with Qobuz - just use LMS.
LMS?

Personally I wouldn't want to use Bubble UPnP. I've used DLNA to stream video from my PC to TV so know about it and it does look great, but for mainstream usage I'd just want to cast from a mobile apps. Really the official app.

LMS?

Personally I wouldn't want to use Bubble UPnP. I've used DLNA to stream video from my PC to TV so know about it. But for mainstream usage I'd just want to cast from the official apps.
Logitech Media Server with an appropriate chromecast bridge plugin. Qobuz content can be casted with 192 kHz quality. Of course it's pretty academic to use it instead of 96 kHz.

Logitech Media Server with an appropriate chromecast bridge plugin. Qobuz content can be casted with 192 kHz quality. Of course it's pretty academic to use it instead of 96 kHz.
Thanks.

Looks like a similar solution to Bubble UPnP.

Given Qobuz lock Chromecast to 24/96 in their apps, I wonder how reliable 24/192 is to Chromecast via LMS.

Thanks.

Given Qobuz lock Chromecast to 24/96 in their apps, I wonder how reliable 24/192 is to Chromecast via LMS.
The question is what "reliable" means here. All I can say it works, so chromecast protocol is capable of doing that in general.

Thanks.

If all Qobuz sees is LMS as the destination, perhaps it's not a problem.

Yeah "Source First" has been the philosophy of Linn systems for decades perhaps explaining the success of their LP12 turntables
On the level of pure logic, the source is obviously essential...

But if in the time of the LP the quality of the signal delivered by the same vinyl turntable could go from execrable to excellent due to the adjustment of the arm and the wear of the diamond, therefore varying in gigantic proportions depending on the turntable models , arms, cells, adjustments of the horizontal and vertical reading angle, fidelity of the RIAA phono stage....

this famous sentence which therefore had a sound reality in the practice of the LP era... . no longer has one today: the qualitative differences between streamer and endpoint are as thin as a sheet of Bible paper... And digital sources delivering a garbage signal are extremely rare... I don't have any in all case never encountered... and I listent a lot since the first generation of CD players in 1983, through the appearance of the Airport express and the solutions that followed... and I use it every day to see how they evolve: Itunes, WMP, Jriver, Foobar, Audirvana, Roon... on Mac and on PC (for Foobar)... with UpNP-DLNA, Musicast, Airplay, Chromecast (via Roon)... and soon Wiim Pro Plus to have a Roon Ready endpoint (although Chromecast is completely transparent from Roon)....

Back