Qobuz & Wiim Pro and Mini

My understanding is that the CC Audio can only handle up to 24/96 and will pass this through to an external DAC if used with Toslink cable.

Imagine they'd increased that to 192 way back and developed the Home App to play locally stored media and made it £89 or even £150.
They'd probably have such a strong foothold in the market especially as it works with so many streaming services, could have been the absolute benchmark.

Can't help but think they missed a trick when they were already way ahead in the race.

Imagine they'd increased that to 192 way back and developed the Home App to play locally stored media and made it £89 or even £150.
They'd probably have such a strong foothold in the market especially as it works with so many streaming services, could have been the absolute benchmark.

Can't help but think they missed a trick when they were already way ahead in the race.
I still have one lying around somewhere. Somewhere in the back of my mind I have a feeling that you could throw 24/192 at it and it would downsample to 24/96 on the puck. Maybe wrong though.

I still have one lying around somewhere. Somewhere in the back of my mind I have a feeling that you could throw 24/192 at it and it would downsample to 24/96 on the puck. Maybe wrong though.

Yes it does downsample it as you suggest, what I was saying was imagine they'd further developed it so it could play 24/192 as that seems to be the Mecca many people are aiming for.

I know that brings about a seperate debate as to whether you can actually hear a difference but if not why do they bother producing at higher than 24/96 in the 1st place.

I know that brings about a seperate debate as to whether you can actually hear a difference but if not why do they bother producing at higher than 24/96 in the 1st place.
The cynics amongst us might suggest that it is to sell us what we already have to make more money.

It amuses me when a post author says they aren't getting 24/192. They only know because their DAC has some kind of indicator not because they can tell from listening!

The cynics amongst us might suggest that it is to sell us what we already have to make more money.

It amuses me when a post author says they aren't getting 24/192. They only know because their DAC has some kind of indicator not because they can tell from listening!
The quality of the recording source is what should be our focus I think. Take 2L recordings, downloads and physical media available in many different formats, which state what the master sample rate is.

If you want bit perfect, you need to make sure the stream reaches the dac in the same format and sample rate. It is why it’s worth the faff of ripping your own CDs or downloading high resolution well recorded music. You then are in control of the streaming process, as you can disable fade in/out and any process that affects bit perfect. This is my understanding of the LMS streaming method.

I notice the difference subjectively between the same 2L recording, same DAC.
In order of quality- in Apple Music via airplay (worst); CD ripped to my local server; CD played in Marantz cd player; DSD64 over PCM (DoP)

The last three options are arguable on quality per se. In 16/44.1 CD quality, a really great recording can sound even better when bit perfect at 24/192. But it depends, like so much in life.

As an example, I also love The Kinks, Dedicated Follower of Fashion. It’s ripped from a CD but the mastering was designed for radio in 60s, and it is better not bit perfect but with tone control on.

As an example, I also love The Kinks, Dedicated Follower of Fashion. It’s ripped from a CD but the mastering was designed for radio in 60s, and it is better not bit perfect but with tone control on.
Sometimes I ask myself if we should ignore the "time factor". In my opinion music is very strong linked to the time it was created. I still own the first German pressing of this Dedicated Follower single. I even remember the purchase in Düsseldorf, 1964 I guess. The price was 4,25 DEM then. It was released on LP/CD only in compilations. For me this very specific sound is so much in my brain and my ears that I can hear clean and sterile versions never without a strange feeling. Fool that I am.

Sometimes I ask myself if we should ignore the "time factor". In my opinion music is very strong linked to the time it was created. I still own the first German pressing of this Dedicated Follower single. I even remember the purchase in Düsseldorf, 1964 I guess. The price was 4,25 DEM then. It was released on LP/CD only in compilations. For me this very specific sound is so much in my brain and my ears that I can hear clean and sterile versions never without a strange feeling. Fool that I am.
All those LPs I listened to over and over on record player can’t have the same impact now. My hearing is worse, my emotional development (hopefully) improved from the teenage self 😁 and I’m more analytical about noise levels.
But in the right mood Bee Gees and Moody Blues still has what it takes.

I came to this forum because my dealer pointed me to the WiiM Pro. He knows I have something like a playground and the necessary time for testing hifi. He said, have an ear on this cheap trick and tell me what you mean. Should I place it in my portfolio?
A couple of things what I noticed seeing different to, I think in the meantime, most of the foristi here is the approach to music reproduction. A few examples. If one is not interested do not read.
- "Audiophile" Till today no one could tell me a definition. Many tried, no one scored.
- "HiRes" Nice to have, but not really important. Much of the stuff they sell as 192 is upsampled.
- The DAC seemed to be the most important thing. My opinion with decades of try and error is: No, speakers and amps are. A good modern integrated will deliver all you need. Ok, no shiny box with proud 192 or Magenta MQA or DSD you can show visitors. If I remember right it was @Mr Ee who found it funny they need to see the resolution because they can not hear any difference.
- Graphs and measurements as the one and only decision maker for purchases. Nonsense all over. Even in maths minus * minus = plus. It is always the question of components fitting to each other. I owned items which measured in ASR not so well. But sounded and sound fantastic. So, ears not oscilloscopes. But, if someone is interested in such things and has a profund scientific background it is fine. But to many first semesters stated to many bs. It is so easy today, a few hundred € or $ or what ever and you can have this gear. Have fun with it but they are not a final instance.
So, back to music. Peter Frampton is my todays go to guy. Hope, I bothered not to much 😉

I came to this forum because my dealer pointed me to the WiiM Pro. He knows I have something like a playground and the necessary time for testing hifi. He said, have an ear on this cheap trick and tell me what you mean. Should I place it in my portfolio?
A couple of things what I noticed seeing different to, I think in the meantime, most of the foristi here is the approach to music reproduction. A few examples. If one is not interested do not read.
- "Audiophile" Till today no one could tell me a definition. Many tried, no one scored.
- "HiRes" Nice to have, but not really important. Much of the stuff they sell as 192 is upsampled.
- The DAC seemed to be the most important thing. My opinion with decades of try and error is: No, speakers and amps are. A good modern integrated will deliver all you need. Ok, no shiny box with proud 192 or Magenta MQA or DSD you can show visitors. If I remember right it was @Mr Ee who found it funny they need to see the resolution because they can not hear any difference.
- Graphs and measurements as the one and only decision maker for purchases. Nonsense all over. Even in maths minus * minus = plus. It is always the question of components fitting to each other. I owned items which measured in ASR not so well. But sounded and sound fantastic. So, ears not oscilloscopes. But, if someone is interested in such things and has a profund scientific background it is fine. But to many first semesters stated to many bs. It is so easy today, a few hundred € or $ or what ever and you can have this gear. Have fun with it but they are not a final instance.
So, back to music. Peter Frampton is my todays go to guy. Hope, I bothered not to much 😉
Once again I have to agree with you. 😊
One point, however. The DAC. You know how I think about and I would like to say
OK, for sure speakers and amps are the most important thing. Agreed. (y)
But once you have a great amp and great speakers, can a better or different DAC affect the sound signature?
As you well know, for me the answer is yes ;)

@Maurizio, my Italian friend.
Everything affects everything. For the moment I do not know if it was Mao, Konfuzius or me who said this first.
Of course a DAC has an impact on the sound signature. By the way, makes a steerable sound signature bit-perfect not obsolete? I have to think about....
You know that in my personal universe (the one and only universe where I can see me as the centre) the order is different. In that moment I are absolute happy and satisfied with my stereo I certainly have a look if I can better the sound with another DAC. Very often I got the impression people think that a DAC can bring a remarkable higher level. So, you and every other who read my posts during the last weeks know how I think. In the very moment one owns a decent enough stereo he or she could look at DACs. If that is ok then he or she should go for cables. But, as you and I and many others know: Once in that rabbit hole there is no way out. Or you must own a bassotto who shows you a way out.
Never stop seeking!

For me modern streamers and dacs, even dacs in integrated amps, are the constant. Means decent enough to fulfill all listenable requirements.
The following sections makes it. For me. Because absolutely not interested in measurements. Another way...but thanks heaven we have a choice 😉

For me modern streamers and dacs, even dacs in integrated amps, are the constant. Means decent enough to fulfill all listenable requirements.
The following sections makes it. For me. Because absolutely not interested in measurements. Another way...but thanks heaven we have a choice 😉
I agree that current measurement methodology is insufficient to capture all sonic differences. And because in the end we have to live with the equipment I prefer to like what I hear! :)

Back