Wiim Pro, Airplay 2 and Qobuz on the Mac

timiambeing

I've been searching all over and can't find a definitive answer so folks...

If I stream via Airplay from the Qobuz app on the Mac to my Wiim Pro what am I getting?

16/44.1
16/48
AAC 256

Unfortunately my Schiit Bifrost2 DAC has no display and I haven't yet learned how to distinguish the various relay clicks! 😊

PS: I think the Qobuz app is Airplay 1, maybe even the OS (Big Sur) is Airplay 1 and the Wiim is either Airplay 1 or 2 - but either way, according to perceived wisdom I should get 16/44.1? I'm asking Qobuz as well but, well you know, they are French so could be a while and then it will be a bot, then I'll get escalated and eventually after a couple of weeks I might get an answer... (just joking, mostly 😊)

You mean "un bot"? ;)

As others will be quick to point out I'm sure, I post this link more often than any other here and elsewhere.

From that, I'd say 16/44.1 lossless but haven't personally checked

Just realised that was more an ios than MacOs answer, but according to the link here
"The Airplay function on MacOS only allows Qobuz to be used in CD quality due to Airplay’s restriction to 16-bit digital audio files at 48 kHz."

You mean "un bot"? ;)

As others will be quick to point out I'm sure, I post this link more often than any other here and elsewhere.

From that, I'd say 16/44.1 lossless but haven't personally checked

Hah! 😁 to be fair the only French I know is ‘je suis a rock star!’ - I’m not sure they like us after the Brexit fiasco!

Yes I read that post, and the Darko coverage, what a silly situation! And like you I am surmising (as my Mac OS is old and the Qobuz app probably just hands over hires to the OS to downsample) that I’m getting the 16.44.1 lossless.

Just realised that was more an ios than MacOs answer, but according to the link here
"The Airplay function on MacOS only allows Qobuz to be used in CD quality due to Airplay’s restriction to 16-bit digital audio files at 48 kHz."
I read all that before and missed that bit! I wonder where the down sampling is performed - Mac OS or Qobuz? I suppose I could tell Qobuz to stream in 16/44.1 and then that would be server end, but even that sounds like it would get converted somewhere to 48Khz.

I read all that before and missed that bit! I wonder where the down sampling is performed - Mac OS or Qobuz? I suppose I could tell Qobuz to stream in 16/44.1 and then that would be server end, but even that sounds like it would get converted somewhere to 48Khz.
I think the Qobuz app will be aware of both its platform and the use of Airplay, so will only request 16/44.1 from the Qobuz server. I don't think any resampling is done on the fly, so I'd leave your wifi resolution settings as they are and let Qobuz do all the thinking ;)

Back