Reasons to use stand-by?

anli

Are there proven (that is with facts and/or numbers) reasons to use stand-by mode except for energy saving?

I am guessing that the 12v trigger out is turned off when in standby mode.
No, the 12v trigger switches off after 2.5 minutes without audio playback (except with digital input, but they say they are working on it), regardless of standby mode setting.

The DAC's auto standby function is linked. My Topping D30 pro turns off when the WiiM is in standby. When WiiM is turned on, When WiiM starts playback, the DAC turns on automatically.

It is very convenient🙂

Last edited:
1. If you want to use autosense for inputs (for example, so that the Wiim Pro switches to the optical input when you switch on the TV) then the Wiim Pro has to be in standby.
2. If you want devices connected to outputs (DACs or Amps) to use their autosense to switch off then the Wiim Pro has to go into standby. This does not happen for the Wiim Pro optical inputs at the moment.
3. Presumably, the Wiim Pro only updates automatically when in standby otherwise it would interrupt listening.
4. If you want to reduce your annual electricity bill by 2p then use standby.

No, the 12v trigger switches off after 2.5 minutes without audio playback (except with digital input, but they say they are working on it), regardless of standby mode setting.
I read and reread your reply several times and don't understand your point, especially the first word.

Every electronic device needs a way to be turned off. Commonly there is a switch or you can simply remove the power (unplug).

Many devices go into a "Stand-by" mode when not being actively used. The WiiM uses very little current when playing music. Logic says so because it uses low voltage through a thin gauge wire. I personally don't know how much less it draws when in Stand-by mode OR if the electronics will last a shorter period being on in "Stand-by", but the reason it has that mode is so it is ready when you use your app to play music through it, and as another poster wrote, accept updates.

My reply was that while playing music that the 12v trigger will also turn on your amplifier, and when not playing music it will go into Stand-by mode and turn off the 12v trigger, thereby turning off your amp. I have this and it works great.

Part of your reply states "2.5 minutes without audio playback" before the trigger turns off. I am not disputing the actual process, but I don't get the "No" your reply starts out with. I simply stated that in stand-by that the [generally] trigger is off, and on when playing music [regardless of any operational delay WiiM programmed in].

Another money saving tip I use is to use a darker photo on my Windows desktop background. I figure it takes less energy to light those dark LEDs. I am hoping to save over 13 cents over the next 10 years!

Actually you won't reduce your bill, as power consumption is literally the same when "turned on" and in stand-by mode, approx 1,5W. Surprisingly, in stand-by it can draw even more, up to 2,4W probably because of permanent searching for updates :) it was very similar with my previous streamer node 2i, consumption was the same regardless of the mode.

My RME DAC will auto-switch back to the USB input when the coax or optical inputs lose carrier. This happens instantly when the WiiM is put in standby, vs a minimum of 30 seconds via timeout. I use the remote to put mine in standby frequently.

3. Presumably, the Wiim Pro only updates automatically when in standby otherwise it would interrupt listening.
All of my wiims are set to standby Never. They all auto update.
I don't have them playing music all the time, but I've never had music stop for an update to be applied.
It could be that Elves perform the update overnight while I'm sleeping.

If I remember correctly, the music stops because it will be rebooted at the same time as the update.

I don't have them playing music all the time, but I've never had music stop for an update to be applied.
one time, that happened to me, it was around noon and music stopped. Luckily i realized was an update and i didn't reboot in between...

Back