Some minor software improvements

BenjaminB

1. When using a NAS with uPnP/DNLA, using folder structure album art is essential. Today no album arts are visible within a folder which only has folders in it. If, however, there is at least one playable audio file (as music.mp3) then all the folders album art are visible.
Thus, it should be easy to improve the sw in order to make all folder album art always visible.
2. Wiim Pro sorts and plays any set of tracks according to track order (the meta info). Sometimes meta info is not always the same as the audio file nae and order (eg a ripped set of 2 or more CD:s, then it is easy to change the file names/numbers but meta numbers use to start from 1 for each CD, thus ending up with more than one file having track number 1 in a folder).
Proposed improvement: let the user decide if user in which order tracks should be played (name/number or track or date or .... ).

//BB

How is the responsiveness on your phone? I find that navigating the folder tree in my home music server is painfully slow and more than a bit frustrating.

How is the responsiveness on your phone? I find that navigating the folder tree in my home music server is painfully slow and more than a bit frustrating.
Wiim home app, home music share, <your nas>, folder view, and then just scrolling / selecting from there?
Extremely responsive for me.
Generally one folder per artist, one folder within each artist folder per album, 10,000÷ tracks.

Thanks for the response. What DLNA server app are you using?

Yes, my file structure is similar to yours. I'm running Serviio on a Windows 10 PC for my DLNA server. Phone is a Pixel 5a.

Thanks for the response. What DLNA server app are you using?

Yes, my file structure is similar to yours. I'm running Serviio on a Windows 10 PC for my DLNA server. Phone is a Pixel 5a.
Minimserver free on a base model qnap nas.
Using an old Galaxy Tablet. And I do mean old, a Tab A from 2016.
Excellent speed no matter which view I use, e.g. artist, album, folder.

Bubbleupnp is similarly fast, but has the benefit of showing album artwork when navigating.
Edit - for clarity, I mean the bubble android app.

Last edited:
Might need to explore Minimserver. I use Bubble because of my issues with WiimHome and have nice responsiveness, and the folder album art views I like. However the Bubble server seems to forget my openhome renderer for Wiim regularly.

openhome renderer for Wiim
I don't know what you mean by this, and maybe I don't need to...
Is this somehow different from just seeing the wiim in the devices/renderers section of bubble?
Edit - and then I read 'bubble server' in your reply, so it seems you're using bubble both as a server and client.
I only use it as a client, on my android tablet, so was blinkered to what you were saying!

Last edited:
Might need to explore Minimserver. I use Bubble because of my issues with WiimHome and have nice responsiveness, and the folder album art views I like. However the Bubble server seems to forget my openhome renderer for Wiim regularly.
I think what you mean is that the BubbleUPnP control point loses the OpenHome WiiM renderer (that BubbleUPnP server has created) regularly, is that correct?
To be honest I haven't used the pro all that much, but looking in my BubbleUPnP server logs (configuration.xml in the root of the install) I can see a lot of definitions for 'WiiM Pro' (grep "WiiM Pro" configuration.xml), that indicates it's generating new UDN's (similar to a UUID). BubbleUPnP server uses the UDN to uniquely identify devices, so everytime a new UDN is generated it appears as a new device and will lose its "old" configuration.
I see this a lot with chromecast devices but I haven't seen this with UPnP - although I haven't had a combo before - is your WiiM left in a powered on state, or do you turn it on only when needed?
If it's generating new UDN's every time it boots then I'm not sure there's a lot you can do, other than maybe ask the author of BubbleUPnP Server on his thoughts.

EDIT: Just noticed that you can see the UDN/UUID in the WiiM app > Speaker Info.

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by this, and maybe I don't need to...
Is this somehow different from just seeing the wiim in the devices/renderers section of bubble?
Edit - and then I read 'bubble server' in your reply, so it seems you're using bubble both as a server and client.
I only use it as a client, on my android tablet, so was blinkered to what you were saying!
I'm obviously no expert, but if you have more than one person on your network accessing the Wiim through Bubble, you need to install the Bubble server on the PC that is serving your music to avoid conflicts between different phones/tablets trying to view playlists or change the music.

I think what you mean is that the BubbleUPnP control point loses the OpenHome WiiM renderer (that BubbleUPnP server has created) regularly, is that correct?
To be honest I haven't used the pro all that much, but looking in my BubbleUPnP server logs (configuration.xml in the root of the install) I can see a lot of definitions for 'WiiM Pro' (grep "WiiM Pro" configuration.xml), that indicates it's generating new UDN's (similar to a UUID). BubbleUPnP server uses the UDN to uniquely identify devices, so everytime a new UDN is generated it appears as a new device and will lose its "old" configuration.
I see this a lot with chromecast devices but I haven't seen this with UPnP - although I haven't had a combo before - is your WiiM left in a powered on state, or do you turn it on only when needed?
If it's generating new UDN's every time it boots then I'm not sure there's a lot you can do, other than maybe ask the author of BubbleUPnP Server on his thoughts.

EDIT: Just noticed that you can see the UDN/UUID in the WiiM app > Speaker Info.
I don't mess with the power state of the Wiim. It goes into standby on its own. I start my music and it wakes up and does its thing.

Since I've totally hijacked the OP's thread for this, I'll close my involvement with this discussion and move any further talk to the appropriate thread.

Minimserver free on a base model qnap nas.
Using an old Galaxy Tablet. And I do mean old, a Tab A from 2016.
Excellent speed no matter which view I use, e.g. artist, album, folder.

Bubbleupnp is similarly fast, but has the benefit of showing album artwork when navigating.
Edit - for clarity, I mean the bubble android app.
Hi Mr. Ee, I'm also using MinimServer in a Synology NAS and Wiim Home in an android tablet. I can't get album art at the album level but not a problem at the track level. Do you get album art at the album level? Thanks

Hi Mr. Ee, I'm also using MinimServer in a Synology NAS and Wiim Home in an android tablet. I can't get album art at the album level but not a problem at the track level. Do you get album art at the album level? Thanks
Correct: no album art at the album level in the wiim app.

Annoyingly there is index artwork in the iOS WiiM app, so hopefully it will make it's way to the Android version soon as the browse experience is so ugly without it! Having said that BubbleUPnP is the way to go unless you're using the WiiM app to unify multiple services.

Back