Spotify Connect Gapless

Brantome

Is anyone using Spotify Connect to cast to their WiiM devices? Does it support gapless playback ?

I‘m asking here as someone has posted on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook saying that it doesn’t work and the playback gapless setting is greyed out.

I only have free Spotify and when I try to cast a gapless album to my WiiM or echo devices, the gapless playback setting disappears altogether from the Spotify app settings page. I’m unsure whether that’s because I’m only using free Spotify and not Premium.

I’ve googled around a bit and it might be the case that Spotify Connect doesn’t support at all - see this admittedly old link https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ot...less-playback-on-Spotify-Connect/td-p/4473674 . There are posts on the Naim and Bluesound forums discussing issues around this too.

Anyone else got experience of this? Thanks

My Spotify use is long gone and we are over the weekend not at home, so I can not check.
But we tried it a few weeks ago with my granddaughter's Premium account when I gave her a little introduction into Pink Floyd 😉
TDSOTM as well as Live in Wembley played gapless throughout. So I guess that the free tier is the reason.

Spotify connect is definitely gapless for me.
Gapless setting is greyed out, but in the 'on' position.

Edit - to clarify; spotify premium casting to wiim mini.

My Spotify use is long gone and we are over the weekend not at home, so I can not check.
But we tried it a few weeks ago with my granddaughter's Premium account when I gave her a little introduction into Pink Floyd 😉
TDSOTM as well as Live in Wembley played gapless throughout. So I guess that the free tier is the reason.
Thanks, guess it might be the free tier then …

I have a free plan, but I can play gapless.

Attachments

• VID_20230610_180950.mp4
    286.1 KB
Is anyone using Spotify Connect to cast to their WiiM devices? Does it support gapless playback ?

I‘m asking here as someone has posted on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook saying that it doesn’t work and the playback gapless setting is greyed out.

I only have free Spotify and when I try to cast a gapless album to my WiiM or echo devices, the gapless playback setting disappears altogether from the Spotify app settings page. I’m unsure whether that’s because I’m only using free Spotify and not Premium.

I’ve googled around a bit and it might be the case that Spotify Connect doesn’t support at all - see this admittedly old link https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ot...less-playback-on-Spotify-Connect/td-p/4473674 . There are posts on the Naim and Bluesound forums discussing issues around this too.

Anyone else got experience of this? Thanks
Hi @Brantome
I resigned Spotify Premium months ago, so now I have the free version just like you. I did a try just now and all is working.
I have gapeless anyway and the switch near gapeless in Settings is visible and working. On/Off. Not greyed

Thanks. I’ll give my free Spotify another go tomorrow - couldn’t get it to not shuffle when I tried playing a gapless album earlier so couldn’t properly check. Although logically perhaps it should, just not seamlessly from a music point of view…

Just for my infamous curiosity...Spotify Free shuffles tracks and is also interrupted by ads. Sound"quality" is 96 or 160 kbs OGG at best. What the hell makes gapless here an issue?

Last edited:
It’s interesting despite their premium price which on par with high res but people still go on their service

It’s interesting despite their premium price which on par with high res but people still go on
Kids, family plan, playing in car, playing on earpod things.
Pretty cheap for that - whole family cheaper than a single Qubuz or Tidal + subscription.

And pretty much every bit of diigital hifi has spotify connect.
(Please don't give me a huge list of those that don't - I'm just trying to say it's a very common, convenient way to stream!)

It’s interesting despite their premium price which on par with high res but people still go on their service
@Smartplug
As i told, i resigned my Premium account, but what @Mr Ee says is pure truth and agreeing with him i would add that their App is, may be, the best App among how many I've seen . Never a failure and full of options. I'm talking about Native Apps.

My post was not about cheap or cheaper, Spotify or not, availability of access and so on. It was only about gapless in the free tier in such environments. For me that makes no sense, sorry.

Last edited:
Just for my infamous curiosity...Spotify Free shuffles tracks and is also interrupted by ads. Sound"quality" is 96 or 160 kbs OGG at best. What the hell makes gapless here an issue?
My original query was whether Spotify Connect supported gapless playback and during the discussion it was postulated whether Premium Spotify did but free Spotify didn’t. I didn’t see any issue.

And before we are out for brunch my question still remains. Some people obviously looking for gapless in the FREE tier. Why?

Back