accessing Spotify from inside WiiM Home app not working?

poltroon

I'm experimenting with Deezer, Tidal, and Spotify (Premium) to compare useability. I can't seem to get Spotify working properly.

From my phone (android) I can cast to my Wiim Pro using Spotify connect. This works fine. But if I try to access Spotify from inside the WiiM Home app it doesn't really work.

For example if I use the WiiM Home search button I get a load of search matches returned from Deezer and Tidal, but nothing from Spotify. Or if I use the WiiM Home browse button I get some limited navigation around the Deezer and Tidal libraries but if I try to browse Spotify I just get a white screen inviting me to "Open Spotify", which then jumps me into the Spotify app. It behaves like it is not "logged in" but I can't see any place to enter credentials? Is this how it is supposed to work? Or have I messed us some setting somewhere?

I'm experimenting with Deezer, Tidal, and Spotify (Premium) to compare useability. I can't seem to get Spotify working properly.

From my phone (android) I can cast to my Wiim Pro using Spotify connect. This works fine. But if I try to access Spotify from inside the WiiM Home app it doesn't really work.

For example if I use the WiiM Home search button I get a load of search matches returned from Deezer and Tidal, but nothing from Spotify. Or if I use the WiiM Home browse button I get some limited navigation around the Deezer and Tidal libraries but if I try to browse Spotify I just get a white screen inviting me to "Open Spotify", which then jumps me into the Spotify app. It behaves like it is not "logged in" but I can't see any place to enter credentials? Is this how it is supposed to work? Or have I messed us some setting somewhere?
It's how it is!
There's no access as such to spotify from within the wiim app - as you note, it simply opens the spotify app.

It's how it is!
There's no access as such to spotify from within the wiim app - as you note, it simply opens the spotify app.
Which is pretty much the norm - I think some AVRs like Onkyo from memory might have an interface in their app, but Spotify Connect direct from the Spotify app seems to be preferred and de rigeur...

It would be hard (impossible?) to replicate all the functionality of the Spotify app from inside the WiiM app.

But the Pro user manual does say that "The App supports the unified search across multiple music services and your local network for artist, track, station, playlist, etc." It then includes Spotify in the list of searchable services. Hence my suspicion that I had stuffed up somewhere!

I'm trying to move the whole family to a WiiM based world and looking for the most user-friendly software to control things. I had hoped to be able to do it with just one app, but that's not going to work. Hence I'm spending some effort experimenting with as many options as possible!

It would be hard (impossible?) to replicate all the functionality of the Spotify app from inside the WiiM app.

But the Pro user manual does say that "The App supports the unified search across multiple music services and your local network for artist, track, station, playlist, etc." It then includes Spotify in the list of searchable services. Hence my suspicion that I had stuffed up somewhere!

I'm trying to move the whole family to a WiiM based world and looking for the most user-friendly software to control things. I had hoped to be able to do it with just one app, but that's not going to work. Hence I'm spending some effort experimenting with as many options as possible!
I think the manual is wrong in that respect as there’s no link to a Spotify account as there is to other services the WiiM Home app supports. I can’t see how it could, for example, find one of your Spotify playlists that matched a search term as it has no knowledge of your Spotify account name.

I think it makes sense to use the native app when listening to music, and use the WiiM app just to control the device. Once you've set up your device, you'll rarely need to use the WiiM app again.

All three streaming apps you are trying out have a casting feature.

Back