Who is the Wiim mini for? ...

riepa

Major Contributor
Hi,

For all the loyal Wii fans out there which protects the company because it is new and cheap, I think the product should live up to its description. The home page lists the music services it supports, but at the moment it looks like nothing matches and this may be a reason to return the device.

I list the music services I checked and the support answers:

Spotify - uz 17.Oct 2023 joprojām nav atrisināta problēma ar “Please set up spotify if expired ... key, please use wiim companion and set up again”. Several months have passed. Spotify is the most popular streaming service and Wiim is a music streamer. This is a viable argument for why the Wium is useless.

Tidal - 20.Aug 2023 Connect to stream audio to WiiM, you can see what's currently playing on WiiM Home app and TIDAL app.
P.S. Although I had a problem every time when the internet network was changed (Spotify didn't have that problem, but maybe it's not related to the Wiim).

Deezer - 20.Aug 2023 Now we have supported TIDAL Connect but not supported Deezer Connect.If you use Deezer, you can only use it on WiiM Home app, and you can't see what's currently playing on Deezer App.

Qobuz - 4.Oct 2023 Qobuz app does not recognize WiiM devices because WiiM devices do not currently support Qobuz Connect, but only Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect are supported, which require you to sign in to your subscription account in the corresponding music service's app. If you are using the WiiM Pro or WiiM Pro Plus

Amazon Music - on October 17, 2023, I can play this music service from Wiim, but Amazon Music App does not see this device in the Devices list. Amazon App doesn't see it. Amazon music is the third most popular music service behind Spotify and Apple.

I have a question for users:
  1. Are you also getting these problems?
  2. Do you think there is a music service with which there is a full and working integration without problems?
  3. What other similar streamer can you recommend that will have maximum full integration with the music services I mentioned?

Thanks in advance for your replies and comments.

Spotify connect works perfectly on my WiiM mini and Pro.
I can't sign up for Qobuz with Tidal in my country, but at least Qobuz hasn't started Qobuz connect yet.
Amazon Music's AlexaCast works fine on WiiM.

Alexacast may not be available in all regions. Also, there may be some kind of problem with your Wiim or network.

Hi,

For all the loyal Wii fans out there which protects the company because it is new and cheap, I think the product should live up to its description. The home page lists the music services it supports, but at the moment it looks like nothing matches and this may be a reason to return the device.

Spotify - uz 17.Oct 2023 joprojām nav atrisināta problēma ar “Please set up spotify if expired ... key, please use wiim companion and set up again”. Several months have passed. Spotify is the most popular streaming service and Wiim is a music streamer. This is a viable argument for why the Wium is useless.

It's not clear what your issue with Spotify is - please expand
Tidal - 20.Aug 2023 Connect to stream audio to WiiM, you can see what's currently playing on WiiM Home app and TIDAL app.
P.S. Although I had a problem every time when the internet network was changed (Spotify didn't have that problem, but maybe it's not related to the Wiim).

Again, not sure what your issue is.
Deezer - 20.Aug 2023 Now we have supported TIDAL Connect but not supported Deezer Connect.If you use Deezer, you can only use it on WiiM Home app, and you can't see what's currently playing on Deezer App.

Deezer Connect isn't a casting mechanism like Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, Amazon AlexaCast etc. It's merely a means of remotely controlling a Deezer app running on another device. Since the WiiM device isn't running an instance of the Deezer app, it can't be "connected to" from the Deezer app running elsewhere. Once Deezer truly implement a casting mechanism like the other major streaming services mentioned, I'm sure WiiM would be interested in providing support/

Qobuz - 4.Oct 2023 Qobuz app does not recognize WiiM devices because WiiM devices do not currently support Qobuz Connect, but only Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect are supported, which require you to sign in to your subscription account in the corresponding music service's app. If you are using the WiiM Pro or WiiM Pro Plus

Qobuz Connect doesn't yet exist - it's currently being developed by Qobuz and its API hasn't yet been released to third parties like WiiM.

Amazon Music - on October 17, 2023, I can play this music service from Wiim, but Amazon Music App does not see this device in the Devices list. Amazon App doesn't see it. Amazon music is the third most popular music service behind Spotify and Apple.

Have you enabled the Alexa service in the WiiM Home app to allow the use of AlexaCast by the Amazon Music app? If not, that app won't see your device. Also, as mentioned, AlexaCast may not have been made available by Amazon for your region.

Also, are these questions academic, or do you really use all the services you mention?

I primarily use Qobuz and Amazon Music, and have occasionally used Spotify Free if I come across a playlist on social media I'd like to try out. By and large (within the vagaries of each app), I've done so without any significant issue.

1. Do you think there is a music service with which there is a full and working integration without problems?

No, same as I don't think I've come across any piece of software/firmware that doesn't have bugs. Plus where you mention a connect/casting mechanism, remember that it takes two to tango - both the streaming service and the receiving device need to run software to achieve that, with the risks of bugs at either end.

1. What other similar streamer can you recommend that will have maximum full integration with the music services I mentioned?

I don't think there is another streamer with maximum full integration for all the services you quote for one particular reason - I'm not aware of /any/ other devices that support bit perfect casting (AlexaCast) from the Amazon Music app up to 24/192 apart from WiiM devices.

Hi,

2. Do you think there is a music service with which there is a full and working integration without problems?
  3. What other similar streamer can you recommend that will have maximum full integration with the music services I mentioned?

there is nothing true or correct in what you have written in this post.

It's not clear what your issue with Spotify is - please expand

Again, not sure what your issue is.

Deezer Connect isn't a casting mechanism like Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, Amazon AlexaCast etc. It's merely a means of remotely controlling a Deezer app running on another device. Since the WiiM device isn't running an instance of the Deezer app, it can't be "connected to" from the Deezer app running elsewhere. Once Deezer truly implement a casting mechanism like the other major streaming services mentioned, I'm sure WiiM would be interested in providing support/

Qobuz Connect doesn't yet exist - it's currently being developed by Qobuz and its API hasn't yet been released to third parties like WiiM.

Have you enabled the Alexa service in the WiiM Home app to allow the use of AlexaCast by the Amazon Music app? If not, that app won't see your device. Also, as mentioned, AlexaCast may not have been made available by Amazon for your region.

Also, are these questions academic, or do you really use all the services you mention?
So then. In the beginning with the wiim I had a Spotify paid subscription (which I still have) and the integration was complete, Wiim<>Spotify App<>Windows Wiim app, and I also used the Wiim remote. Later the problem started with Spotify, because every time I turn it on with a key programmed on the remote, it asks me to reprogram it because the keys are lost. Wiim support is aware of the situation but has not done anything for a very long time.

About the other services, yes, I have had all paid services, because I have Hi-Fi equipment and I use optics and software from the Wiim. This is not an academic question, please give me 1 (only one) ! A Hi-Fi streaming service that would have perfect integration with Wiim software. In my case it is not. And yes, I don't have the Alexa ecosystem and don't plan to.

I primarily use Qobuz and Amazon Music, and have occasionally used Spotify Free if I come across a playlist on social media I'd like to try out. By and large (within the vagaries of each app), I've done so without any significant issue.

No, same as I don't think I've come across any piece of software/firmware that doesn't have bugs. Plus where you mention a connect/casting mechanism, remember that it takes two to tango - both the streaming service and the receiving device need to run software to achieve that, with the risks of bugs at either end.

I don't think there is another streamer with maximum full integration for all the services you quote for one particular reason - I'm not aware of /any/ other devices that support bit perfect casting (AlexaCast) from the Amazon Music app up to 24/192 apart from WiiM devices.
Do you think BluOS would have the same problems as Wiim or would the situation be much better there?

So then. In the beginning with the wiim I had a Spotify paid subscription (which I still have) and the integration was complete, Wiim<>Spotify App<>Windows Wiim app, and I also used the Wiim remote. Later the problem started with Spotify, because every time I turn it on with a key programmed on the remote, it asks me to reprogram it because the keys are lost. Wiim support is aware of the situation but has not done anything for a very long time.
If you let me know what your ticket number is for that issue, I’ll try and escalate it to WiiM on your behalf. They did say just last week that an update for the remote was on the cards, so that might also inclu a fix for your issue.

Do you think BluOS would have the same problems as Wiim or would the situation be much better there?
I’m not a BluOs user so couldn't say definitely, but I’d be very surprised if they didn’t have problems of their own. As I say, no software is entirely bug free.

Edit: plus as I’ve already said, no devices other than WiiM’s allow bit perfect casting from the Amazon Music app, and further, Bluesound steadfastly refuse to implement such

Last edited:
About the other services, yes, I have had all paid services, because I have Hi-Fi equipment and I use optics and software from the Wiim. This is not an academic question, please give me 1 (only one) ! A Hi-Fi streaming service that would have perfect integration with Wiim software. In my case it is not.
I’d turn that question round and ask you to identify another third party device that has perfect integration with any streaming service - as I say, every bit of software has some bug or other. Fortunately, there will be some bugs we can live with and others we can’t.

And yes, I don't have the Alexa ecosystem and don't plan to.

Linking the WiiM app to your Alexa/amazon music account isn’t buying into the Alexa ecosystem per se - it’s making the WiiM device visible to the Amazon Music app via the perhaps unfortunately named AlexaCast (unfortunately only in the misconceptions it causes some people to make).

I’d turn that question round and ask you to identify another third party device that has perfect integration with any streaming service - as I say, every bit of software has some bug or other. Fortunately, there will be some bugs we can live with and others we can’t.

Linking the WiiM app to your Alexa/amazon music account isn’t buying into the Alexa ecosystem per se - it’s making the WiiM device visible to the Amazon Music app via the perhaps unfortunately named AlexaCast (unfortunately only in the misconceptions it causes some people to make).
Let me go to sleep :sleep: and wake up at 2100 a year so everything works perfectly 🤩.
Obviously, I will have to suffer, then accept what is.

Thanks for the note with Alexa, I saw it on the Wiim and have enabled it and now they can see each other o_O.

Hi,

Hi Riepa,

We appreciate your feedback and would like to assist in resolving any issues you may have with your device. It's worth noting that Linkplay technology powers a wide array of devices across multiple reputable brands such as Harman, JBL, and Yamaha, serving millions of users worldwide. With that being said, we have a larger user base to use these music services you mentioned on daily basis.

I must clarify that we have not advertised Qobuz Connect compatibility for any of our devices, as it's currently not supported. That said, we acknowledge there's always room for improvement, and we're committed to continually enhancing our software. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

BTW, if you want to use the music services above in the native App, you can always use this through AirPlay 2 or Chromecast.

For the Spotify preset issue you mentioned, some Spotify Connect API changes affect the preset. You need to redo the presets then it should work.

Last edited:
I forgot to post last night but I set up a preset for a Spotify playlist last night on the remote I have linked to my Pro plus and it operated as expected as I changed from one preset to another and back. Try resetting your preset ans suggested above and see if it now works for you.

I forgot to post last night but I set up a preset for a Spotify playlist last night on the remote I have linked to my Pro plus and it operated as expected as I changed from one preset to another and back. Try resetting your preset ans suggested above and see if it now works for you.
What settings are we talking about? I added presets to my remote control through the Wiim app as presset buttons, but the next day when I press them, a woman's voice tells me that some keys have been lost. Of course, I have tried several times to reassign the buttons, but always the next day the same voice announcing that everything is bad...

P.S. I noticed today in the Wiim menu under MyLibrary > Recently Played. I had read in the announcements that there would be such a thing, but I had imagined it to be presented differently. Now that I see it, I believe that it is a section worth millions for this device.

Hi Riepa,

We appreciate your feedback and would like to assist in resolving any issues you may have with your device. It's worth noting that Linkplay technology powers a wide array of devices across multiple reputable brands such as Harman, JBL, and Yamaha, serving millions of users worldwide. With that being said, we have a larger user base to use these music services you mentioned on daily basis.

I must clarify that we have not advertised Qobuz Connect compatibility for any of our devices, as it's currently not supported. That said, we acknowledge there's always room for improvement, and we're committed to continually enhancing our software. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

BTW, if you want to use the music services above in the native App, you can always use this through AirPlay 2 or Chromecast.

For the Spotify preset issue you mentioned, some Spotify Connect API changes affect the preset. You need to redo the presets then it should work.
Thanks for reply
As an ordinary user, linkPlay, Connect, etc., do not mean much to me. I know how to install an app, open it and press buttons without going into technical details. I see all those music service logos on the Wiim mini home page and I assume they all work. Maybe you could write with an asterisk that they work depending on these services and maybe make a Matrix comparison for users somewhere, which lists how much integration there is with each of these services (who sees/does not see wiim in their app, etc.), but so that an ordinary user like me could understand it.
No answer is required.

What settings are we talking about? I added presets to my remote control through the Wiim app as presset buttons, but the next day when I press them, a woman's voice tells me that some keys have been lost. Of course, I have tried several times to reassign the buttons, but always the next day the same voice announcing that everything is bad...

P.S. I noticed today in the Wiim menu under MyLibrary > Recently Played. I had read in the announcements that there would be such a thing, but I had imagined it to be presented differently. Now that I see it, I believe that it is a section worth millions for this device.
The Spotify playlist I had assigned to a preset yesterday is still working today for my remote and Pro Plus. Are you changing anything overnight, like rebooting a router , turning your Wiim off etc? I don’t know exactly how Spotify Connect works but I believe it establishes a hard link to your device that might be broken if the device gets turned off, changes IP address etc. I know from experience that Spotify connections to echo devices sometimes get lost and have to be re-established by asking Alexa to “Spotify Connect”. If that link gets broken, that might be what’s invalidating the preset - and the “woman’s voice” you hear might well be Alexa.

The Spotify playlist I had assigned to a preset yesterday is still working today for my remote and Pro Plus. Are you changing anything overnight, like rebooting a router , turning your Wiim off etc? I don’t know exactly how Spotify Connect works but I believe it establishes a hard link to your device that might be broken if the device gets turned off, changes IP address etc. I know from experience that Spotify connections to echo devices sometimes get lost and have to be re-established by asking Alexa to “Spotify Connect”. If that link gets broken, that might be what’s invalidating the preset - and the “woman’s voice” you hear might well be Alexa.
The device is never disconnected from the power supply. I don't even use the power button. It works independently. I have noticed that the presset setting crashes regardless of the puts 4 buttons, it also crashes from the other presset settings.
If others don't, then maybe my device is damaged and I have to return it as a guarantee, or maybe that woman Alexa got into the device through some gap, ruins everything there and she has to be lured out.

Back