Spotify for dummies

Hollywood

Major Contributor
Please excuse my very basic questions...
I have been using my WiiMs playing music from my "server", a USB SSD with all of me CDs ripped to FLAC files. It is working well and I am happy.

I am now looking into a streaming service. I have a few questions, but I just want simple answers without getting too technical. I am completely new at this.

I just got a free account for Spotify. It seems pretty cool! I started my WiiM Android app and when I pressed the Spotify icon it prompted me to download and install the Spotify app. My questions are:

Other then launching the app, do you even need the WiiM app to use Spotify through your WiiM devices?

Just like the WiiM playing music from my server, is the music is directly sent to the WiiM from Spotify, not through the phone?

On the "free" subscription, what is the sound quality? CD or less?

What quality can you get from a Spotify subscription?

Some of the service's websites are hard to tell what they are, browse, or see how much they cost. Are there any better services for selection, quality, or app user experience for about $10/month that you recommend?

This seems like another I wish I would have known about this sooner.

Thanks!

Other then launching the app, do you even need the WiiM app to use Spotify through your WiiM devices?
No.
Just like the WiiM playing music from my server, is the music is directly sent to the WiiM from Spotify, not through the phone?
Directly from Spotify.

What quality can you get from a Spotify subscription?
Lossy Ogg Vorbis 320 kbps max.

Some of the service's websites are hard to tell what they are, browse, or see how much they cost. Are there any better services for selection, quality, or app user experience for about $10/month that you recommend?
I think it will depend on subscription prices in your country. Amazon Music is usually quite cheap and can deliver lossless hi-res quality.

No.

Directly from Spotify.

Lossy Ogg Vorbis 320 kbps max.

I think it will depend on subscription prices in your country. Amazon Music is usually quite cheap and can deliver lossless hi-res quality.
Thanks! I will look into Amazon and a few others. I need "simple" and I like what I see so far. For about $10-12 a month you can have an almost unlimited library. I am just one person, but it seems like I can "cast" to all of my devices (the same content), be it the WiiMs, my car via Android Auto, or just my phone or computer. I think the app experience is important for ease of use, features like lyrics, and suggestions of other content. This is pretty cool.

Thanks again for replying!

On the "free" subscription, what is the sound quality? CD or less?

The free version is up to 160kbps. The paid version is, as Onlyoneme says, 320kbps, so the sound quality is higher.

Other streaming that offer hi-fi include Tidal and Qobus. If you have a free period, feel free to try each one.

I think Spotify is a very good music app that is light. It may be hi-fi ready later in the year.

Does Spotify or Amazon Music properly do gapless playback to a WiiM Pro? I tried it with Be Bop Deluxe, Modern Music. The track Modern Music and several tracks after that are linked together music wise and should flow into each other, but they don't. Am I doing something wrong or is gapless not perfected yet?

Also, most songs on Spotify have lyrics, but not as many on Amazon Music. Is that a thing or again am I missing something?

Thanks!

Both Spotify and Amazon Music support gapless. Check if the "Sample rate switch latency" is set to 0ms in the Wiim app's device settings. The higher this number, the more delay will occur.

Amazon music displays a "lyrics icon" on tracks with lyrics. On the playing screen, the lyrics are displayed in the jacket. In that case, tap on the lyrics and they will appear in full screen. Or there are tracks where you can slide the screen up to see the lyrics.

I am a Japan person and I am not good at English. I don't know if I can give you accurate information, but please forgive me.

IMG_20230716_125325.jpgIMG_20230716_125247.jpgIMG_20230716_125538.jpgIMG_20230716_125559.jpg

Thanks. I spent several hours looking at the different services since this afternoon. I am reluctant to try some trials that require a credit card, but I might try Apple and Tidal. This is fun :)

Both Spotify and Amazon Music support gapless. Check if the "Sample rate switch latency" is set to 0ms in the Wiim app's device settings. The higher this number, the more delay will occur.

Amazon music displays a "lyrics icon" on tracks with lyrics. On the playing screen, the lyrics are displayed in the jacket. In that case, tap on the lyrics and they will appear in full screen. Or there are tracks where you can slide the screen up to see the lyrics.

I am a Japan person and I am not good at English. I don't know if I can give you accurate information, but please forgive me.
The latency is zero.
Your English and grammar are perfect!
Thanks for your help!

Does Spotify or Amazon Music properly do gapless playback to a WiiM Pro? I tried it with Be Bop Deluxe, Modern Music. The track Modern Music and several tracks after that are linked together music wise and should flow into each other, but they don't. Am I doing something wrong or is gapless not perfected yet?

Also, most songs on Spotify have lyrics, but not as many on Amazon Music. Is that a thing or again am I missing something?

Thanks!
@Hollywood
Both Spotify and Amazon are gapeless and the WiiM reproduces both gapeless. Be sure you have selected gapeless, or no fade in the Apps settings. ;)
Regarding Services, this is my opinion :
Spotify, great App, but very poor for Music Quality. The worst, even the Premium membership. I have had, but i unsuscribed it.

Amazon, may be the cheapest with a huge library of HiRes albums and Playlists (i have it and music quality is Ok 24/192)
App a bit poor, could be improved

Qobuz, a bit pricier than Amazon. Here too there are tons of HiRes albums and playlists. For me sound quality is even better than Amazon.
The App is really well done. At the moment, Qobuz connect is missing and should be implemented later. So, using the native App, you are limited to 24/96 and no gapeless if you use Chromecast. Less with Airplay. Otherwise you can use BubbleUPnP on Android and MConnect on IOS. Casting Qobuz from these 2 Apps you have 24/192 and Gapeless. It's what personally i'm doing. Of course i have Qobuz too.

Tidal, the most expensive of all. For me it's not worth it. Especially after that MQA rip-off failed. It offers nothing more than Qobuz, but at a higher price.

Apple,
I'm not the best to comment. I'm not friends with Apple and with their closed system and closed ecosystem. The only product that I consider unbeatable, and that I have, is the IPAD.
Again, due to Apple policy you will face a lot of limitations on playback quality.
That's all. Hope can help you. 😊

@Hollywood
Both Spotify and Amazon are gapeless and the WiiM reproduces both gapeless. Be sure you have selected gapeless, or no fade in the Apps settings. ;)
WoW! great response!

I can't find the "gapless" setting on the WiiM. I just downloaded the WiiM Pro manual and did a keyword search. "Gapless" only came up twice, both under "features". I know I previously seen it.

I have a paid Android app of Bubbleupnp and Hi-Fi cast. As of now I have not been able to get gapless play. This is really important for my library of many live albums.

As for choosing a streaming service, I think my first choice, Amazon Music Unlimited is so far the best for me. The price is right, especially paying annually. I want to pull the trigger, but I need to figure this gapless issue out first. As I typed this, I just tried my test album from Amazon Music to just my phone. Gapless worked perfect. I guess the issue is the WiiM. Either it's not supporting gapless OR I am doing something wrong.

I have another thread posted about some songs are missing the first note. There is an open ticket on that. Between that and the gapless issue I am not enjoying my music like I was used to when playing direct (CD or digital) without streaming. I hope someone either points me to a solution OR WiiM fixes these issues. Back in 2006 my first iPod did not do gapless playback, but I reported it (I assume many others did too) and it was added shortly after.

Thanks!

As almost ever 😉 I am glad to confirm @Maurizio and his opinion.
If one "needs" a casting solution, wants to get best price/performance relation and Amazon, as I had to learn, Alexa Cast is available go for Amazon. But you will face a ridiculous bad user interface from Amazon.
If you want a much, much better app, the difference in costs are ok for you and you do not "need" a casting solution and can live with the integration in the WiiM app go for Qobuz.

If you want a much, much better app, the difference in costs are ok for you and you do not "need" a casting solution and can live with the integration in the WiiM app go for Qobuz.
It's getting late here, but I will try the Qobuz free trial tomorrow. Thanks for your reply!

WoW! great response!

I can't find the "gapless" setting on the WiiM. I just downloaded the WiiM Pro manual and did a keyword search. "Gapless" only came up twice, both under "features". I know I previously seen it.

I have a paid Android app of Bubbleupnp and Hi-Fi cast. As of now I have not been able to get gapless play. This is really important for my library of many live albums.

As for choosing a streaming service, I think my first choice, Amazon Music Unlimited is so far the best for me. The price is right, especially paying annually. I want to pull the trigger, but I need to figure this gapless issue out first. As I typed this, I just tried my test album from Amazon Music to just my phone. Gapless worked perfect. I guess the issue is the WiiM. Either it's not supporting gapless OR I am doing something wrong.

I have another thread posted about some songs are missing the first note. There is an open ticket on that. Between that and the gapless issue I am not enjoying my music like I was used to when playing direct (CD or digital) without streaming. I hope someone either points me to a solution OR WiiM fixes these issues. Back in 2006 my first iPod did not do gapless playback, but I reported it (I assume many others did too) and it was added shortly after.

Thanks!

Amazon music doesn't require a gapless configuration.

I tried playing "Be Bop Deluxe, Modern Music" on AlexaCast. As you can see in the video, I played the next track gapless.🙂

Attachments

• VID_20230716_155433.mp4
    2.1 MB
Does Spotify or Amazon Music properly do gapless playback to a WiiM Pro?
Yes. No. Depends.
WiiMs and these services can deliver gapless playback. But it can happen for AM that it won't work when you've selected mixed sample rate content for playback. Unfortunately it can even happen for a single album being played.

Thanks. I spent several hours looking at the different services since this afternoon. I am reluctant to try some trials that require a credit card, but I might try Apple and Tidal. This is fun :)
Support for Apple Music is limited on the WiiM, so Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon Music or Spotify are IMO better choices.

Yes. No. Depends.
WiiMs and these services can deliver gapless playback. But it can happen for AM that it won't work when you've selected mixed sample rate content for playback. Unfortunately it can even happen for a single album being played.
my head is spinning. do any streaming devices similar to WiiM play gapless properly? Like I said, my iPod was updated to work and it worked on all of my music that needed gapless. I guess they were all ripped with iTunes if that made a difference, but playing my library in my car from a USB thumbdrive also works properly. I feel there is a solution. I hope it gets figure out.
Thanks!

Support for Apple Music is limited on the WiiM, so Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon Music or Spotify are IMO better choices.
I just made the plunge with annually Amazon Music Unlimited. Seems best all around. Spotify Free will be my backup. The gapless issue seems to be with the WiiM, not the service, so I thought I could at least commit to one.

Thanks for all of your help suggesting a service. BTW, I did try Qobuz but it would not accept my payment or move from that screen, so I could not fully test it, but on the web based page, it seemed to have less then Amazon.

my head is spinning. do any streaming devices similar to WiiM play gapless properly? Like I said, my iPod was updated to work and it worked on all of my music that needed gapless. I guess they were all ripped with iTunes if that made a difference, but playing my library in my car from a USB thumbdrive also works properly. I feel there is a solution. I hope it gets figure out.
Thanks!
Most of the streamers on the market support gapless playback but none of them will play 2 songs with different sample rates in the gapless manner. I assume being bit-perfect here and digital outputting.

Most of the streamers on the market support gapless playback but none of them will play 2 songs with different sample rates in the gapless manner. I assume being bit-perfect here and digital outputting.
Whatever bitrate my CDs were ripped, the whole CD were ripped with the same settings. Also I don't really know or understand what MQA is, but I hear it might be being phased out so I turned of MQA beta off in the device settings.

Thanks for all of your replies!

I just made the plunge with annually Amazon Music Unlimited. Seems best all around. Spotify Free will be my backup. The gapless issue seems to be with the WiiM, not the service, so I thought I could at least commit to one.

Thanks for all of your help suggesting a service. BTW, I did try Qobuz but it would not accept my payment or move from that screen, so I could not fully test it, but on the web based page, it seemed to have less then Amazon.
Personally I use Spotify, Amazon Music and Qobuz. Spotify for the best user experience, Qobuz for the best audio quality delivered. AM is somewhere between due to the sample rate mixing which may break gapless playback. And also I have an impression, that some of the lossless song variants delivered by AM had been resampled by the service. I think it does not happen with Qobuz.

Back