Spotify "Supremium"

Spotify hifi been announced two years ago and still no hifi. They think most users won’t hear difference using earphone as how most user used it.

Spotify hifi been announced two years ago and still no hifi. They think most users won’t hear difference using earphone as how most user used it.
They have probably thought again better (now that every other competitor offers lossless)

Be interesting to see what it costs.

Whilst I personally abhore the company itself I'm surprised by the lack of love for Amazon Music, Hi Res lossless and can cast from their App to a WiiM for £9.99 per month (£8.25 if you want to pay annually) and whilst I'd move out of choice it won't be if someone else is going to charge £20 for the same thing.

Now if Qubuz released Connect ......

1697191703836.png

Be interesting to see what it costs.

Whilst I personally abhore the company itself I'm surprised by the lack of love for Amazon Music, Hi Res lossless and can cast from their App to a WiiM for £9.99 per month (£8.25 if you want to pay annually) and whilst I'd move out of choice it won't be if someone else is going to charge £20 for the same thing.
It's that app. IMHO, Amazon overall has the worst user experience of all the major and minor music services. And Amazon apparently has no interest in improving it in any meaningful way. Yes, it's cheap, but it's like a pair of cheap, poorly-made shoes that aren't very pleasant to wear.
Now if Qubuz released Connect ......
I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see it in the WiiM ecosystem by early 2024. Though perhaps not in every region at the outset.

Last edited:
It's that app. IMHO, Amazon overall has the worst user experience of all the major and minor music services. And Amazon apparently has no interest in improving it in any meaningful way. Yes, it's cheap, but it's like a pair of cheap, poorly-made shoes that aren't very pleasant to wear.

I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see it in the WiiM ecosystem by early 2024. Though perhaps not in every region at the outset.

I keep hearing people say this and I don't find it that bad and much btter user experience than trying to play music from the WiiM App
..... although it is the 1st one I've used in earnest so maybe it's ignorance of the others being better.

Last edited:
Spotify has been promising lossless since 2021 now I think? If not then for a long time, I don't think it's ever coming, and tbh they have no reason to, they have many subscribers who are perfectly happy with the quality as it is.

Spotify has been promising lossless since 2021 now I think? If not then for a long time, I don't think it's ever coming, and tbh they have no reason to, they have many subscribers who are perfectly happy with the quality as it is.
I agree, unless someone willing to pay 20. There is no incentives to them if they release it for same cost.

They never promised to give it away for the same price.
even if it’s not the same price. More people don’t care than care. I’m sure they’ve done the math and decided it doesn’t add up. Sadly the days when every home had a high end speaker system is long gone

even if it’s not the same price. More people don’t care than care. I’m sure they’ve done the math and decided it doesn’t add up. Sadly the days when every home had a high end speaker system is long gone
Again, I absolutely agree. There's not much to gain for them.

They first announced it at CES 2017, then again three years ago, only to renege both times.

The question is not whether they have "done the math", or if there is anything in it for them relative to their commanding market share position. The question is why would any company announce something as "coming soon" not once but twice in 5 years, only to renege on that each time? Thats stupid arrogant corporate behavior, suggesting they think they are untouchable and unassailable.

They first announced it at CES 2017, then again three years ago, only to renege both times.

The question is not whether they have "done the math", or if there is anything in it for them relative to their commanding market share position. The question is why would any company announce something as "coming soon" not once but twice in 5 years, only to renege on that each time? Thats stupid arrogant corporate behavior, suggesting they think they are untouchable and unassailable.
From what they were saying Apple and Amazon spoil the release of their hifi because there were no price increase. Spotify planing to release hifi with price hike. I wish Apple and Amazon release their loseless after Spotify release theirs.

Lossless would be nice, but honestly, do we need it? Yes, I like the thought of having my music delivered untouched, but what we get today is already basically transparent. Most of those who claim they can tell the difference between lossy and lossless usually cannot if it is blind tested. No one who is past 30 years old OR listens in an untreated room OR listens midfield / farfield not at least using premium studio monitors should ever worry. You are fine with what you get. I have stopped wanting something "better" that actually isn't really better.

Lossless would be nice, but honestly, do we need it? Yes, I like the thought of having my music delivered untouched, but what we get today is already basically transparent. Most of those who claim they can tell the difference between lossy and lossless usually cannot if it is blind tested. No one who is past 30 years old OR listens in an untreated room OR listens midfield / farfield not at least using premium studio monitors should ever worry. You are fine with what you get. I have stopped wanting something "better" that actually isn't really better.
The difference manifests between Tidal and Spotify as a slight improvement in the high end with tidal, it's nice but I don't think it'd convince the masses listening on their phone (that probably won't notice) that hifi is worth it. Especially given the average member of the public only seems interested in bass.

I still feel entitled to rant about Spotify announcing this offer over and over again, but not deliver in the end. :)

@Smartplug is probably right in assuming that Apple and Amazon spoiled Spotify's original business plan, asking for a noticeably higher price for "Hi-Fi" (or whatever their were planning to call it. Still, they would have had quite some time for releasing it after their original announcement ...

Naturally, I don't have the resources to perform controlled double blind ABX tests in my home. I can and do listen to Radio Paradise through airable or vTuner (lossy quality at around 320 kbps, as far as I know) and to the RP lossless FLAC stream, alternatively. The former for convenience reasons (my Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 allows me to directly access airable/vTuner stations from my hardware remote), the latter for comparison. All I can say is that listening to the FLAC stream sounds more pleasant to me, especially when listening over a longer period of time. Not a scientific test, for sure. But it makes me want Spotify to finally put their money's (or rather my money 🤑) where their mouth is. 😁

Nothing wrong with wanting something better. All I'm saying is: Don't let it spoil things for you. We already get ALMOST premium quality from Spotify, whether it is lossless or not. However 99% of music available today is produced so badly that we shouldn't care about the difference between lossless and lossy.

The difference manifests between Tidal and Spotify as a slight improvement in the high end with tidal, it's nice but I don't think it'd convince the masses listening on their phone (that probably won't notice) that hifi is worth it. Especially given the average member of the public only seems interested in bass.
There’s a lot of variables, their gear if someone just using earpiece it would be hard to tell difference. Then your hearing how well can hear high and low. Aging is another factor. For all of audiophiles, we value loseless. Apple offer high resolution loseless but the problem their airplay will only do acc or cd quality. It’s pointless having high resolution loseless.

Nothing wrong with wanting something better. All I'm saying is: Don't let it spoil things for you. We already get ALMOST premium quality from Spotify, whether it is lossless or not. However 99% of music available today is produced so badly that we shouldn't care about the difference between lossless and lossy.
For those who wish to listen to great recordings it doesn't matter how much crap is out there and what people who couldn't care less about their sound quality but just about convenience can and cannot hear a difference think is enough. Spotify is for those people.

Back