Steaming turntable to Echo Speaker Group

mrice71

I've read/watched as much as I can, but can't figure out if this is possible. I have the Fluance 85 turntable. It has a separate preamp that plugs into a powered speaker. I also have Amazon echo speaker groups. How can I stream my turntable to the Echo speaker group using the WiiM Pro plus? Am I missing a piece of equipment?

No, afraid not.

While Wiim devices can be part of an Alexa multi room music group, they cannot do what’s called audio redistribution to echo devices - the Amazon/Alexa protocol to do that isn’t made available to third parties.

To do what you want, you’d need the Amazon Echo Link or Echo Link Amp (and the echos) registered to an Amazon.com account. There is reportedly a workaround for other regions, but like all workarounds, it’s not guaranteed to work or keep working.

Edit: Alternatively, you’d need to replace all your echos with WiiM devices and use a Linkplay group.

No, afraid not.

While Wiim devices can be part of an Alexa multi room music group, they cannot do what’s called audio redistribution to echo devices - the Amazon/Alexa protocol to do that isn’t made available to third parties.

To do what you want, you’d need the Amazon Echo Link or Echo Link Amp (and the echos) registered to an Amazon.com account. There is reportedly a workaround for other regions, but like all workarounds, it’s not guaranteed to work or keep working.

Edit: Alternatively, you’d need to replace all your echos with WiiM devices and use a Linkplay group.
@Brantome related question. Do you know why Echos aren’t configured as Bluetooth receivers? It would surprise me if the onboard chip wasn’t capable of acting as both transmitter and receiver

@Brantome related question. Do you know why Echos aren’t configured as Bluetooth receivers? It would surprise me if the onboard chip wasn’t capable of acting as both transmitter and receiver
They have been able to do that since almost the first model I.e. you can send audio from your phone to an echo over Bluetooth, or you can use Bluetooth headphones or speakers to listen to an echo viz. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GG8S76D3BYTGC424

No, afraid not.

Thanks! I'll try the Echo Link.

If you can Bluetooth to an Echo can’t you Bluetooth the AuxIn from WiiM to an Echo group?
No, Alexa multi room music is primarily a cloud delivered service (apart from using the Echo Link) so can’t take local input of any form. Even the USA Echo Link which can do line in redistribution to echos doesn’t support Bluetooth input when doing that, so what some do is use a small Bluetooth receiver plugged into the echo link’s line in to get round that. Gets a bit Heath Robinson at that point…

I have never seen my Echo’s as BT speakers on my iPhone.
You need to put your Echo into pairing mode by asking “Alexa, Bluetooth connect” then it’ll appear in your iPhone’s bluetooth settings page where you select it. Just did that to connect my iPad to my gen 2 echo show…

Yes to both. I got the Echo Link and so far, no luck. It should go out from turntable to Echo Link, out from link and into phono amp, out from phono amp into powered speaker, correct?
Hi, I’d maybe do turntable > phono amp > Echo Link > powered speaker in case the Link’s line in needs a higher level than the turntable.
For the line in redistribution to an Alexa multi room music (MRM) group, the Link itself needs to be part of the group and the MRM group identified under “Devices> Echo & Alexa> Echo Link> select Line in distribution” in the Alexa app. Once you start playing, the Link should detect the audio then send it to the other echos. The Amazon help pages on this seem to wander around and I can’t find them, but these links should help

I’m not 100% sure if the Link can do line in distribution and line out at the same time - again, the documentation is very sparse if it even exists. However, given that WiiM devices can be part of an MRM group, include yours in the group with the Link and other echos and take its line out into your speakers.

Let us know how you get on once you get your head around the above - the Link can be a mysterious beast to understand and for ages I wondered just what it was meant to do…

Last edited:
Hi, I’d maybe do turntable > phono amp > Echo Link > powered speaker in case the Link’s line in needs a higher level than the turntable.
For the line in redistribution to an Alexa multi room music (MRM) group, the Link itself needs to be part of the group and the MRM group identified under “Devices> Echo & Alexa> Echo Link> select Line in distribution” in the Alexa app. Once you start playing, the Link should detect the audio then send it to the other echos. The Amazon help pages on this seem to wander around and I can’t find them, but these links should help

I’m not 100% sure if the Link can do line in distribution and line out at the same time - again, the documentation is very sparse if it even exists. However, given that WiiM devices can be part of an MRM group, include yours in the group with the Link and other echos and take its line out into your speakers.

Let us know how you get on once you get your head around the above - the Link can be a mysterious beast to understand and for ages I wondered just what it was meant to do…
It worked! Thank you so much. The key was changing the Line In Distribution. Thanks again

That's good to know, thanks. Does the Echo Link produce audio as well on its line out when doing the line in redistribution?
Yes, it gives me the option of "Local Speaker" which just plays to the powered speaker it's plugged in to, or I can choose a "Multi-room Music" group which plays on my other speakers (Echos) in addition to the plugged in speaker. This is exactly the solution I was looking for and there's such little info on how to make this work. Your input is much appreciated.

Back