Trouble with Alexa integration

• Thread starter Deleted member 925
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 925

I'm struggling to replicate my existing Echo Show + WiiM Pro setup in another room in the house using an Echo Dot + WiiM Pro Plus.

What I want, and have with the former setup in our family room, is that the Echo use the WiiM as the default speaker to play music but all other audio from the Echo (e.g. Alexa responses) plays through the built-in Echo speaker.

To do this I create a new device group in the Alexa app, add the Echo as an Alexa device in the group. Then set the WiiM device as the default speaker in that new device group. Additionally, the WiiM trigger out turns on the connected pre/amp.

This works fine in our family room. The Echo Show works as normal using the built-in speaker (e.g. Alexa, what's the weather) but will turn on the pre-pro via trigger out and play music via the WiiM (e.g. Alexa play some music).

I can't get this to work in our new living room system. The Echo Dot won't use the built-in speaker to respond to normal Alexa utterances (e.g. Alexa, what's the air quality). Instead, Alexa seems to try and use the WiiM to play the audio, which engages the trigger out to turn on the connected integrated amp. However, even then I don't hear the Alexa response audio on the speakers.

The two device groups look like they are setup identical. I'm thinking next I'll try an Echo Show instead of the Echo Dot and see if that somehow makes the difference.

Any ideas or help from others with similar setups would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm struggling to replicate my existing Echo Show + WiiM Pro setup in another room in the house using an Echo Dot + WiiM Pro Plus.

What I want, and have with the former setup in our family room, is that the Echo use the WiiM as the default speaker to play music but all other audio from the Echo (e.g. Alexa responses) plays through the built-in Echo speaker.

To do this I create a new device group in the Alexa app, add the Echo as an Alexa device in the group. Then set the WiiM device as the default speaker in that new device group. Additionally, the WiiM trigger out turns on the connected pre/amp.

This works fine in our family room. The Echo Show works as normal using the built-in speaker (e.g. Alexa, what's the weather) but will turn on the pre-pro via trigger out and play music via the WiiM (e.g. Alexa play some music).

I can't get this to work in our new living room system. The Echo Dot won't use the built-in speaker to respond to normal Alexa utterances (e.g. Alexa, what's the air quality). Instead, Alexa seems to try and use the WiiM to play the audio, which engages the trigger out to turn on the connected integrated amp. However, even then I don't hear the Alexa response audio on the speakers.

The two device groups look like they are setup identical. I'm thinking next I'll try an Echo Show instead of the Echo Dot and see if that somehow makes the difference.

Any ideas or help from others with similar setups would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
My Echo dot and Wiim are working fine.

A simple question.
Is something connected to the AUX port of your Echo dot?

My Echo dot and Wiim are working fine.

A simple question.
Is something connected to the AUX port of your Echo dot?

Nope, nothing connected but power. Thanks for confirming your Dot works as expected (mine is 5th gen).

What speaker setting are you using in the second setup with the Dot - a similar room/device group contains the echo and the Wiim set as preferred speaker for the group, as compared to it being set as the preferred speaker for the echo in the echo’s device setting?

Posting a few screenshots from the Alexa app might help

What speaker setting are you using in the second setup with the Dot - a similar room/device group contains the echo and the Wiim set as preferred speaker for the group, as compared to it being set as the preferred speaker for the echo in the echo’s device setting?

Posting a few screenshots from the Alexa app might help

It's the former setup using a device group. Kitchen works but Living Room does not.

Edit: Thanks for the tip, it looks like I had inadvertently changed the device speaker setting not just the device group speaker. I've changed the device speaker back to built-in which I think should fix this. Much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907-071207.png
    Screenshot_20230907-071207.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230907-071224.png
    Screenshot_20230907-071224.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 6
It's the former setup using a device group. Kitchen works but Living Room does not.
Thanks - those look good. Can you take the Dot out of that group and create a new group with the WiiM as default? If you change the WiiM to another echo, does that work? I'd also ask the Dot "Alexa, is there an update?" then reboot it, and maybe even your WiiM and router

Thanks - those look good. Can you take the Dot out of that group and create a new group with the WiiM as default? If you change the WiiM to another echo, does that work? I'd also ask the Dot "Alexa, is there an update?" then reboot it, and maybe even your WiiM and router

See my edit, I think it was the per device speaker setting that was screwing it up. Will test after work.

Thanks again for the help.

Back