USB drive causing erratic behaviors

WiiMer SJ

Major Contributor
A customer service ticket has been submitted for this issue , but I'm curious if it's been seen and/or reported before.
Device: WiiM Amp001
When a 256GB PNY Elite-X Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive with 90.5 GB of data (.mp3 files) is installed, device reads only limited amounts of data during initial scan and subsequent re-scans.
Device also exhibits erratic behaviors, including sudden and dramatic volume changes and loss of remote functionality. When the USB Drive is removed, device functions normally.
Please advise as I am considering returning the device.

Do you have any other USB flash drive to try and see if it also causes similar issues? I wouldn't expect issues from a small form factor stick like that, but do you know what power it needs to operate?

Edit: perhaps you need a cable like this to supply additional power to the flash drive for use with the WiiM Amp - it could be the USB port on the PC or whatever you used to load the files on to the drive has a higher power capacity than the WiiM Amp's USB input

Last edited:
As to the PNY USB drive, neither the packaging nor their website makes any mention of the device's power requirements.
https://www.pny.com/elite-x-fit-usb-3-1?sku=P-FDI256EXFIT-GE

Last night and again this morning, I tried a "Scandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SD XC I" via an "Anker USB 3.0 Card Reader Model #AR200". The results were the same as the PNY drive in both trials. I also tried the "Anker USB 3.0 Card Reader Model #AR200" without the SD card installed. This experiment produced no anomalies in the AMP's operation. I thought this might help reveal a hardware problem, perhaps an electromechanical fault in the USB A card slot or the board to which it is connected.

As to the PNY USB drive, neither the packaging nor their website makes any mention of the device's power requirements.
https://www.pny.com/elite-x-fit-usb-3-1?sku=P-FDI256EXFIT-GE

Last night and again this morning, I tried a "Scandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SD XC I" via an "Anker USB 3.0 Card Reader Model #AR200". The results were the same as the PNY drive in both trials. I also tried the "Anker USB 3.0 Card Reader Model #AR200" without the SD card installed. This experiment produced no anomalies in the AMP's operation. I thought this might help reveal a hardware problem, perhaps an electromechanical fault in the USB A card slot or the board to which it is connected.
Hopefully WiiM can quickly determine that from your device logs. If they haven’t got back to you by the end of the week with a solution, let me know your ticket number and I’ll escalate it.

Brantome,
Prior to the application of the external power source, did your AMP exhibit any anomalies similar to the ones I described?

Brantome,
Prior to the application of the external power source, did your AMP exhibit any anomalies similar to the ones I described?
Not in the manner you describe, but it would either not be recognised, or if it did, it would freeze when trying to scan or access it.

Hi WiiMer SJ,

To ensure compatibility with the WiiM Amp's USB port, which supports a maximum output of 5V and 600mA, I recommend switching to a smaller flash disk. It's worth noting that some flash disks require a current of up to 1A, which might exceed the WiiM Amp's capacity.

Additionally, reformatting your flash disk and then recopying your files onto it could potentially improve performance. This process can help eliminate any existing file system issues that might be affecting functionality.

If these steps don't alleviate the issue, please don't hesitate to submit a support ticket to us. We're here to assist and want to resolve this matter for you as quickly as possible. Your patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated.

Not in the manner you describe, but it would either not be recognised, or if it did, it would freeze when trying to scan or access it.
As I suspected. I'm almost certain I have a defective unit here. Problems such as mine would have certainty raised red flags during early testing.

As I suspected. I'm almost certain I have a defective unit here. Problems such as mine would have certainty raised red flags during early testing.
I don’t think you can say tbh that unless you have tried a different flash drive with no issues. Wiim should be able to infer any hardware issue from your device logs from the ticket you submitted.

Hi WiiMer SJ,

To ensure compatibility with the WiiM Amp's USB port, which supports a maximum output of 5V and 600mA, I recommend switching to a smaller flash disk. It's worth noting that some flash disks require a current of up to 1A, which might exceed the WiiM Amp's capacity.

Additionally, reformatting your flash disk and then recopying your files onto it could potentially improve performance. This process can help eliminate any existing file system issues that might be affecting functionality.

If these steps don't alleviate the issue, please don't hesitate to submit a support ticket to us. We're here to assist and want to resolve this matter for you as quickly as possible. Your patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated.
Although I have not been able to verify it, I doubt the PNY drive in question draws current in excess of 600mA. The drive was new out of the package, and I did reformat it NTFS prior to coping the data.

As I described in a previous post, I did try another drive:
I tried a "Scandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SD XC I" via an "Anker USB 3.0 Card Reader Model #AR200". The results were the same as the PNY drive in both trials. I also tried the "Anker USB 3.0 Card Reader Model #AR200" without the SD card installed. This experiment produced no anomalies in the AMP's operation.
And as I stated in my initial post:
A customer service ticket has been submitted for this issue , but I'm curious if it's been seen and/or reported before.

I don’t think you can say tbh that unless you have tried a different flash drive with no issues. Wiim should be able to infer any hardware issue from your device logs from the ticket you submitted.
I can say that. It is my opinion based on many years of experience both personal and professional.

Last edited:
Update:
I connected the PNY drive via a newly purchased "Insignia 4-Port USB 3.0 Powered Hub"
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...red-hub-metallic-gray/6460662.p?skuId=6460662
The results were exactly the same as originally reported. What other conclusion can I draw but that this might very well be a defective device?
It will likely be returned for a replacement within the next 24 hours.
Yeah, beginning to sound like that. Hope the replacement performs better for you

Hi WiiMer SJ,

If someone from customer support wants to take a look at this, now is the time.
My ticket number is 497106

Back