Use both channels in mono setup

tktreload

I recently moved to another house and decided to get rid of all the cables to speakers. I have a pair of large floor speakers (not the largest, but not small either). I set up one amp per speaker, sitting right on top one set up as left the other as right. Looks great, but lacks punch.

It would be great if it were possible to use both the left and right amp channel to output left it right output. That would "bridge" the amp and allow for using all the power rather than half.

I recently moved to another house and decided to get rid of all the cables to speakers. I have a pair of large floor speakers (not the largest, but not small either). I set up one amp per speaker, sitting right on top one set up as left the other as right. Looks great, but lacks punch.

It would be great if it were possible to use both the left and right amp channel to output left it right output. That would "bridge" the amp and allow for using all the power rather than half.
Already have two WiiM amps?

In that case, you can also use Linkplay multi-room music to split the output of the amp left and right. 🙂

Indeed Wiimer, that is what I already do, one amp playing the left channel and one amp playing the right channel. But I imagine (maybe wrongly) that this simply means that the left channel is playing on the left amp, and the right channel on the right amp.

What I would like is that both the left and the right channel on the left amp play left channel, and that both left and right channel on the right amp play the right channel.

By my simple math (that may not hold true, I am no pixie wrangler) that would mean that I can get each WIIM to output 90 watts instead of the 45 watts that are possible now. I don't want to just go and do it, because knowing as little as I know I might damage something.
Although it is possible to disconnect the posts on my speakers so that I should have two separate circuits in the speakers, allowing me to do this safely, not entirely sure.

Indeed Wiimer, that is what I already do, one amp playing the left channel and one amp playing the right channel. But I imagine (maybe wrongly) that this simply means that the left channel is playing on the left amp, and the right channel on the right amp.

What I would like is that both the left and the right channel on the left amp play left channel, and that both left and right channel on the right amp play the right channel.

By my simple math (that may not hold true, I am no pixie wrangler) that would mean that I can get each WIIM to output 90 watts instead of the 45 watts that are possible now. I don't want to just go and do it, because knowing as little as I know I might damage something.
Although it is possible to disconnect the posts on my speakers so that I should have two separate circuits in the speakers, allowing me to do this safely, not entirely sure.
It seems that I misunderstood. 😅

You can test it by disconnecting the positive cable of the right speaker.

1. Set the sound to the left speaker only.
  2. Switch the output of the left WiiM from "LR" to "L" in the app.
  3. Check to see if the volume changes.
Does this give you the answer? 🤔

I tested it with Pro and Mini MRM.

"LR" and "L" had the same volume. Therefore, I think that the WiiM outputs at full power in both cases. However, I don't have a WiiM amp...

So either I group the amps as one group, and set one to be left and one to be right, if I do that the left only outputs on the left channel, and the right only on the right, I effectively only use half the amp.

Otherwise I don't group them, and simply tweak the balance fully to the left and the right, in which case I also only use half the amp.

What I want is that when I group the amps, and set one to be either left or right both channels in the amp play that output, so I can use the whole amp. So a bridge setting, in the old days on the back of my NAD amp there was a physical switch that allowed me to bridge the stereo amp to a mono block, this is what I am hunting for here.

Newer TPA3255 amps like the A07Max or Fosi ZA3 allow a bridged mono mode which you can activate via a hardware switch.

I am not sure if bridging the WiiM amp would be possible with future software updates. Would be a nice feature though because one would not need any cable connection to create a dual monoblock system.

Back