Use of Left & Right Channel settings with Riva Festival speakers

Lcool

Well, they did a big favor to me that I discussed with their Support back in July.

For several reasons I have an all optical audio/video setup where the sound ends up in two (very nice) Riva Festival speakers which have no L/R functionality (and no support as Riva seems to be out of business).

At Audio Settings of the WiiM Pro, you can now set the output to Left or Right Channel.
I've been testing it yesterday in my TV/Audio setup with an optical splitter and two WiiM pro's where one feeds the left channel in one Riva and the other the right channel into the other Riva.
And it seems to work well as audio is in sync with the TV (B6 LG).

At my first attempt some years ago with two Airlino Pro's and the same splitter I learned that it is "normal" for a streamer to buffer so much that the delay is just unusable i.c.w. TV.
I found a rare "fix" in the form of a (used) Sonifex Redbox RB-SP1 Combiner/Splitter (which has only coax digital connections and goes max 48khz for this).
An optical selector would feed that Sonifex with one of TV, CD or Airlino.

Then in June I replaced that Airlino with a WiiM pro and noticed that besides being a very nice thing to have, it does not have that draconian delay when I feed TV audio through it.
And the setup already used the optical splitter that, besides feeding the WiiM, feeds the wireless headphone station.
So I was interested in getting a second WiiM pro to make a much simpler stereo setup that can feed the Riva's with up to 24bit, 192khz.

But before just buying a second one right away, I got into contact with Support and understood that, if I would connect a second WiiM Pro for stereo in the usual "WiiM" way, I also would get a, for TV, unusable delay.
Then I asked them whether they could just extend the menu with the Mono option by adding options for Left or Right channel so I could run a second (parallel) WiiM Pro from the splitter.
They answered "Ok, we can do that".
And they DID!

So the TV hurdle has been taken and the WiiM autoselects the TV audio when the TV is turned on.
The rest of the things that I use seem to work fine.
At the moment the "Master" (Left) runs Tunein together with the Slave (Right).
It still amazes me how easy that works.
Airplay from my phone to both WiiMs also worked fine while retaining the L/R functionality.

Big thanks to WiiM support.
Of course it would be nice to have a home cinema "WiiM Pro Plus Some More" as a sort of A/V centerpiece that would have multiple optical inputs for TV and CD and two optical outputs with option for L and R channel (and for some maybe a sub out).
But I guess only a few people would need that.
Then, my problem is solved and we now have a setup that is much easier to use for my wife and kids!

Back