What are you listening to?

With one week delay, promises from Leeds. It needed a few spins.
The familiar and the unusual go hand in hand with this young band from Leeds around singer Lily Fontaine: There are folk and prog-rock influences, at the same time a steady post-punk grounding. A songwriting that is in love with British pop traditions, but then repeatedly breaks into completely different paths (symptomatic: I'm Not Crying, You're Crying); you will find references to The Smiths as well as to some early experimental Radiohead albums. The lyrics of the charismatic singer are wonderfully British (I feel so, maybe a genuine British will have another look) rich in irony and precise observation. In Lewis Whiting the band has a guitarist who does not have to hide behind a Graham Coxon. Of course he plays a variety of..guess what? When looking into the British music press most of them agree that English Teacher is the band of the hour, with an LP that could hardly be further away from chart pop of any kind. Of course, it is one of the best and most original things I've heard in intelligent pop music lately. And I hope that this is the beginning of something big. A promise is this debut at all times.

View attachment 6803
As a genuine Brit I will have a listen to this later and pass on my verdict.

1000002434.png
Everything is still so literal. Is this all there is to life? Has every mystery already been uncovered?! 🤔
If the title didn't clue you in. This one's a bassy album 😂

Hopefully not too literal ;-) and the last longer text for today. Promised! (It are often, translated from German, excerpts from even longer texts I have to do.)
35 years ago the debut of the Scots, whose first three albums all have classic status in the hard rock world. After the 2022 unplugged album The Calton Songs the Gizzi brothers have now plugged in again, and made probably the best album since the 1994 Swagger! The riffs are muscular, the choruses catchy, there is no filling material. All Fired Up is the name of the opener, the title can certainly be understood as an album credo.

IMG_3051.jpeg

A long time idea which comes to my mind again and again. The reaction scores show that the interest from many of the users is more or less special interest related. What do you think about opening a subsidiary thread for classical music? Keeping things a bit more structured and avoid boring some people?

A long time idea which comes to my mind again and again. The reaction scores show that the interest from many of the users is more or less special interest related. What do you think about opening a subsidiary thread for classical music? Keeping things a bit more structured and avoid boring some people?
I think those threads would dilute the essence of this one... I, for one, actually look forward to encountering music here that I wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. 🙏

If Aveline can't help me see the nuance that exists even in the mundanity of our existence, then I'm a lost cause... she's been dropping jaws since she was 6 or something! 😮1000002440.png

Maybe a suggestion to add further interest to the thread - how about a BBC 6Music Radcliffe & Maconie type chain where what you post has a link (however obtuse) to the previous post? I realise you couldn’t keep it strictly serial as several people might link to the same earlier post, but it might still be possible.

So to follow #3688 with a Chopin link, how about "Could It Be Magic", a song written by Adrienne Anderson and composed by American singer-songwriter Barry Manilow, inspired by Frédéric Chopin's Prelude in C minor, Opus 28, Number 20.

I think those threads would dilute the essence of this one... I, for one, actually look forward to encountering music here that I wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. 🙏
Ok, its your own fault ;-)
Here a bit crossover from a Greek artist with his Alex Dante project. A shame he plays a wrong guitar brand, but nevertheless he plays it brilliant. His new record are duets composed by Rachmaninov, but I am sure the great Russian had electric guitars in his mind.

IMG_3052.jpeg

Maybe a suggestion to add further interest to the thread - how about a BBC 6Music Radcliffe & Maconie type chain where what you post has a link (however obtuse) to the previous post? I realise you couldn’t keep it strictly serial as several people might link to the same earlier post, but it might still be possible.

So to follow #3688 with a Chopin link, how about "Could It Be Magic", a song written by Adrienne Anderson and composed by American singer-songwriter Barry Manilow, inspired by Frédéric Chopin's Prelude in C minor, Opus 28, Number 20.

@Brantome You're too quick!

Back