What are you listening to?

Fatuous comment of the day (from an article describing the new Australian wave of Jazz Kissa establishments) :

'At a certain point, the ears crave a purity of sound – carried from records on to a needle, via an amp, to vibrational cones within speakers – the same way taste buds would crave a wine made without extra preservatives.'

The non-German-speakers hopefully will pardon me.
Happy Birthday, Tamara!
Silly was (and is with new singers) the most important band from former GDR. Times weren't easy for Eastern German musicians..

IMG_2213.jpeg

This iconic recording of the complete Ring by Sir Georg Solti I own in most of the available formats.
We do not like and more important we do not want a 5.1, 7.1 or X.X system in our living room, because we are not interested in sound effects such systems are able to deliver. The soundbar is good enough for our TV and "home cinema" usage.
But!
I always said that "spatial" formats like Dolby Atmos for me are amusing but nevertheless nonsense. Due to the above mentioned missing hardware I listen to it solely with headphones. And for an old fashioned analog remaining guy like me it is still not easy to confess: Once I've listened to this "Götterdämmerung" in Dolby Atmos with an Atmos enabled headphone there is no way back. It is for me kind of unbelievable how impressive this sounds. Manipulated or not. A wise man, John Ardoin, called such experience in another context "Theatre for the Ears".
The guardians of true High Fidelity hopefully will pardon me for such a blasphemy. I sacrificed them so much during my entire life....😉

IMG_2214.jpeg

Christmas business seems to be done so not a single album (for me) among the very few new releases by the labels. At least on first sight.
Strolling through AllMusic's releases of 2023 in several genres instead. This one is from the Americana choice. Good enough for a "Cloudy, sun from time to time breaking through" morning. Could be also a description for a Summer day here 😉

IMG_2218.jpeg

Back