What will wiim send to DAC

I use Qobuz and my WiiM is set for max output (24 bits/192 kHz) playing through a JDS Laps DAC, so why does it only show “CD 16bits / 44,1 kHz” on a hi res track (24 bits / 96kHz)??View attachment 47
How much can your dac support? My old dac had a cap of 96kHz optical input and I couldn't play higher than that (no sound). Now I have a new dac that accepts 192kHz and I get that when streaming from the wiim

How much can your dac support? My old dac had a cap of 96kHz optical input and I couldn't play higher than that (no sound). Now I have a new dac that accepts 192kHz and I get that when streaming from the wiim
As above, it could be that the qobuz max resolution hasn’t been chosen in the Wiim app separately from the mini’s overall resolution capability

I am planning to get Wiim Pro soon to connect to my existing SMSL DAC.

A question though, for those of you with externals DACs, does anyone feed into an AVR? Since AVR usually does some additional processing (eg. surround mode, DIRAC), I am wondering if the quality of the DAC is crushed again once it went through the AVR?

So in this case, maybe the DAC is not needed?

I meant avr's DAC. If you process music with smsl than I think sound is analog already and avr is not processing it. Am I wrong?

I have SMSL DO200 MKII that has ES9068AS, full MQA decoding, supporting native DSD512 and PCM 768kHz.
I just purchase that and was great dac. Full mqa in usb, coax and toslink. It has fully loaded output as well and latest blutooth. Are you using the dac as preamp or just straight dac?

I meant avr's DAC. If you process music with smsl than I think sound is analog already and avr is not processing it. Am I wrong?
Look for pure direct switch that modern receiver has and that will bypass dsp.

You probably would like to answer to Wimmfan :)
I have Yamaha R-N803 with great DAC inside and ofcourse pure direct always on :)

You probably would like to answer to Wimmfan :)
I have Yamaha R-N803 with great DAC inside and ofcourse pure direct always on :)
I really like the look of Yamaha R-N803 especially the silver version, but I don't believe it natively supports MQA or DSD so an external DAC like SMSL DO200 is still required for my LX505.

I just purchase that and was great dac. Full mqa in usb, coax and toslink. It has fully loaded output as well and latest blutooth. Are you using the dac as preamp or just straight dac?
The DO200 is the most feature rich DAC that I can find in the market given its extensive list of inputs/outputs, it's quite amazing for its price.

I connect the analog out of DO200 to my LX505 AVR via Pure Direct. Just waiting for Wiim Pro to release Roon support so I can use Wiim Pro as endpoint to feed into the SMSL DAC.

I really like the look of Yamaha R-N803 especially the silver version, but I don't believe it natively supports MQA or DSD so an external DAC like SMSL DO200 is still required for my LX505.

The DO200 is the most feature rich DAC that I can find in the market given its extensive list of inputs/outputs, it's quite amazing for its price.

I connect the analog out of DO200 to my LX505 AVR via Pure Direct. Just waiting for Wiim Pro to release Roon support so I can use Wiim Pro as endpoint to feed into the SMSL DAC.
It does supports dsd but no mqa.

To answer this question directly, I think if analog sound from DAC is connected to RCA Analog In on the AVR, then AVR shouldn't process it further.

But I still put AVR in Direct/Pure Audio, in case it applies additional DSP.

Last edited:
Do you see the MQA badge with green dot on the DO200?

Mine is connected to Wiim Pro via Toslink but I can't get MQA label with green dot to show up. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere on Wiim Pro that I am missing.

Do you see the MQA badge with green dot on the DO200?

Mine is connected to Wiim Pro via Toslink but I can't get MQA label with green dot to show up. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere on Wiim Pro that I am missing.
Yes, it changes between blue or green. I’m using wiim app it has no bearing effect even if I turn off mqa core. So if I play music that’s hifi it show pcm anything with master will be mqa.

Yes, it changes between blue or green. I’m using wiim app it has no bearing effect even if I turn off mqa core. So if I play music that’s hifi it show pcm anything with master will be mqa.

Thanks for confirming.

I found out that the trick to get MQA Badge and full 192 KHz on external DAC is to set Audio Settings to "Fixed volume output" -- I guess this is Wiim Pro's "bypass mode."

One downside though, if EQ is applied, then the stream is downsampled to 48 kHz only, if external DAC mode is set to "Decoder and Renderer."

But when external DAC mode is set to "Renderer Only", then we get 96 kHz even with EQ on.

I have yet to compare which mode provides the highest sound quality.

But ultimately, Roon allow EQ even at 192 kHz so I'm looking forward to Wiim Pro being Roon Ready.

Thanks for confirming.

I found out that the trick to get MQA Badge and full 192 KHz on external DAC is to set Audio Settings to "Fixed volume output" -- I guess this is Wiim Pro's "bypass mode."

One downside though, if EQ is applied, then the stream is downsampled to 48 kHz only, if external DAC mode is set to "Decoder and Renderer."

But when external DAC mode is set to "Renderer Only", then we get 96 kHz even with EQ on.

But ultimately, Roon allow EQ even at 192 kHz so I'm looking forward to Wiim Pro being Roon Ready.
In theory, hardware doing both decoding and rendering yield what’s mqa have been designed for. I mean all these high res music non of them gave me a wow factor unlike when we move from vhs to dvd it was wow factor

In theory, hardware doing both decoding and rendering yield what’s mqa have been designed for. I mean all these high res music non of them gave me a wow factor unlike when we move from vhs to dvd it was wow factor
True, they don't give "wow" factor but it also stops me from getting "urgh" factor when listening to compressed, unnatural and limited bandwidth music.

The lack of "urgh" factor is more important to me than "wow" factor.

Thanks for confirming.

Hopefully 1/15 new updates will arrive on time with mqa will become a non beta and that peq I have been waiting

Back