What will wiim send to DAC

grantwillemse

I have a Denafrips Ares 2 DAC connected to my WiiM Pro Plus via coax. If Tidal displays 24bit192, my DAC also shows same. When l play a track that indicates MAX/MQA, the dac shows 24bit96, however when I connect my galaxy s22 to the ares via USB, the same MQA track shows 24bit192. I enabled fix volume on the wiim and disabled eq. MQA settings tried on rendered and Decoder + Render without any luck...I'm stumped. Might have to wait for the ultra.

I have a Denafrips Ares 2 DAC connected to my WiiM Pro Plus via coax. If Tidal displays 24bit192, my DAC also shows same. When l play a track that indicates MAX/MQA, the dac shows 24bit96, however when I connect my galaxy s22 to the ares via USB, the same MQA track shows 24bit192. I enabled fix volume on the wiim and disabled eq. MQA settings tried on rendered and Decoder + Render without any luck...I'm stumped. Might have to wait for the ultra.
You've been posting to a WiiM Mini thread (which has now been corrected by a mod).

What does No MQA do? How much of a difference can you spot between your phone and the Pro Plus?

Last edited:
afaik, the ares doesn't support mqa on any input.
The wiim can perform the first unfold, up to 96, which is what you are seeing. I can't see that changing for the ultra.
So the real question is why / how is the s22 sending 192 for an mqa track over usb...?

I have a similar DAC, the Musician Draco running bit perfect. I am unable to get a good performance with the WiiM pro via coax at 24/192. At 24/96 there are no dropouts. Maybe try the optical connection, I get 24/192 through that just fine.

I have a similar DAC, the Musician Draco running bit perfect. I am unable to get a good performance with the WiiM pro via coax at 24/192. At 24/96 there are no dropouts. Maybe try the optical connection, I get 24/192 through that just fine.
Hi, I'm about to do a similar set up (wiim pro plus + draco). Could I ask- 1) Did you do any firmware update on the draco?; 2) Did you have to disable eq on the wiim?; 3) Was it worth it? Was there a step difference in sound quality, or even an order of magnitude difference? Thanks!

Interesting to hear you say that. @Andrew C was having similar issues when trying 24/192 out via coax to his Cambridge audio Dacmagic 100. https://forum.wiimhome.com/posts/48940/

Hi, I'm about to do a similar set up (wiim pro plus + draco). Could I ask- 1) Did you do any firmware update on the draco?; 2) Did you have to disable eq on the wiim?; 3) Was it worth it? Was there a step difference in sound quality, or even an order of magnitude difference? Thanks!
AFAIK there hasn't been a firmware update for the Draco. I run the WiiM pro in bit perfect mode so no eq with my setup. I really like the sound from the Draco. I'm sensitive to sss and tss being over represented. To me, the Draco has none of that and guitars are heavenly with a natural trail off. YMMV.

AFAIK there hasn't been a firmware update for the Draco. I run the WiiM pro in bit perfect mode so no eq with my setup. I really like the sound from the Draco. I'm sensitive to sss and tss being over represented. To me, the Draco has none of that and guitars are heavenly with a natural trail off. YMMV.
Matterhorn, Hi again, I got the draco working with the WPP and it's been fantastic! Thanks for the blazing the trail.

I've got another question for you. Have you attempted to connect two digital sources to the draco? Say your Wiim and a CD player? I'm wondering if the draco can handle it?

however when I connect my galaxy s22 to the ares via USB, the same MQA track shows 24bit192
The Android audio device connected to any dac with usb, goes 48KHz for anything up to 48KHz and goes 192khz for anything over 48KHz. My S22 does the same, my old Huawei s10 did the same but up to 96KHz.
If you want to use Tidal connected by USB at the right sampling rate of song, you should use an iPhone.

Matterhorn, Hi again, I got the draco working with the WPP and it's been fantastic! Thanks for the blazing the trail.

I've got another question for you. Have you attempted to connect two digital sources to the draco? Say your Wiim and a CD player? I'm wondering if the draco can handle it?
Yes, you can connect the optical to one source and the coax to another.
I'm curious, what is your component chain?

Back