No amazon ultra HD via external DAC

Popmaster109

Hi on the wiim app, on SPDIF output resolution I've selected 192khz + 24bits
It plays the tune + my external separate DAC it shows it's received a HD signal yet when I play a amazon music ultra HD track the HD light goes off, I have made sure inches wiim app I've selected HD/UHD for amazon music/ Then on amazon music app I've selected via the settings streaming quality HD/UHD + still when playing UHD tracks on my external DAC the HD/Hi-res light goes off??? Then I went back to the wiim Pro app and once again went to SPDIF output preferences and selected 192khz + 24 bit played test audio clicked yes and the test music played and the HD light came on my DAC'S front panel??? Any advice

We haven’t yet seen his screenshots which match the three I’ve just posted, the last one of which is crucial in getting lossless bit perfect amazon music hd/uhd to the Wiim from the amazon music app.
Ho is this the screenshot you're looking for

Attachments

• 20230627_195739.jpg
    20230627_195739.jpg
    918.8 KB · Views: 7
Ok, that is as it should be for casting from the amazon music app in lossless 16bit Amazon HD or 24 bit Amazon UHD.

As @Achim1811 pointed out, your last earlier screen shot shows a 24/192 track being played on the WiiM where you have set its max SPDIF output to also be 24/192, so I can’t see anything wrong in your setup. If your Naim HD LED isn’t lighting up for that, but it does if you play that same track from within the WiiM Home app, then I’m stumped - there should be no difference at all to the Wiim whether it’s playing Amazon Music from within its app or cast from the Amazon Music app to the WiiM.

The LED aside, do you hear any difference between playing from the WiiM app or casting from the Amazon Music app?

Ok, that is as it should be for casting from the amazon music app in lossless 16bit Amazon HD or 24 bit Amazon UHD.

As @Achim1811 pointed out, your last earlier screen shot shows a 24/192 track being played on the WiiM where you have set its max SPDIF output to also be 24/192, so I can’t see anything wrong in your setup. If your Naim HD LED isn’t lighting up for that, but it does if you play that same track from within the WiiM Home app, then I’m stumped - there should be no difference at all to the Wiim whether it’s playing Amazon Music from within its app or cast from the Amazon Music app to the WiiM.

The LED aside, do you hear any difference between playing from the WiiM app or casting from the Amazon Music app?
Thanks as I've mentioned this is all totally new to me I have just this minute tested listening and it does sound lime it's in UHD

I slept a little.
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with your WiiM Pro and DAC.

Amazon music defines 24bit/44.1kHz or higher as "UHD".
On the other hand, your DAC defines "HD" as 24bit/48kHz or higher.

Therefore, you don't have to worry about the HD lamp not turning on.

For me an almost funny thing is that many of such discussions stop immediately when questions like "do you hear a difference?" pop up. Honi soit qui mal y pense 😉
As confessing Qobuzzer I often notice a false flag operation from the competing services. For example AMHD and also Tidal labelling albums as MQA or UltraHD and very often only one track is this resolution. From a business point of view it is minimum questionable.
As often mentioned even with my best equipment for me CD quality is fine. There is so much headroom for so many components to bring even this 16/44,1 to a limit.
If Q labels HiRes an album is completely so. I hope they survive, the rumors keep going..

Yeah, but I know at times we can all be guilty (me included) of focussing on numbers, displays, LEDs etc when the aim is really (or should be) a good listening experience... :)
I am also obsessed with this bling blings! But sometimes I have to bring my self back to reality. 😉 Of course I want to have the (im my range) best possible solutions and want to have kind of a proof I did all I can. So, if paying for something I want to get it as described. But this tohuwabohu yesterday showed me that it could happen things can go in weird directions. So, no blame for no one.

For what it's worth. I struggled like you wouldn't believe. It was very frustrating but I finally got my external DAC & WiiM PRO to work as advertised. Bit perfect at the highest bit rate Amazon HD would play. Here is what I do. DAC is an SMSL D0100. INPUT is ethernet. Output is COAX mogami digital RCA. Sign to Amazon Alexa. Stay connected. Set COAX out to 192/24. Just once. Fixed volume on. Browse Amazon HD thru the WiiM Pro. Set Amazon Music HD/UHD on. Stay always connected. Now select My Music and you see all your music. Select your music. Select your device and settings. It should show all your settings. Start Play. At the bottom of your screen you will see your selected song. Hit that and screen pops up. You should see bit rate info Amazon is playing at. Also your DAC should show output device with the bit rate matching The WiiM Pro.

I leave the WiiM Pro always on. All I can say is . It works with with Amazon UHD at HI rez.
Good luck

For what it's worth. I struggled like you wouldn't believe. It was very frustrating but I finally got my external DAC & WiiM PRO to work as advertised. Bit perfect at the highest bit rate Amazon HD would play. Here is what I do. DAC is an SMSL D0100. INPUT is ethernet. Output is COAX mogami digital RCA. Sign to Amazon Alexa. Stay connected. Set COAX out to 192/24. Just once. Fixed volume on. Browse Amazon HD thru the WiiM Pro. Set Amazon Music HD/UHD on. Stay always connected. Now select My Music and you see all your music. Select your music. Select your device and settings. It should show all your settings. Start Play. At the bottom of your screen you will see your selected song. Hit that and screen pops up. You should see bit rate info Amazon is playing at. Also your DAC should show output device with the bit rate matching The WiiM Pro.

I leave the WiiM Pro always on. All I can say is . It works with with Amazon UHD at HI rez.
Good luck
To add to that if you wish to cast from the amazon music app at the highest resolution, you also need to select Browse/ Alexa in the Wiim Home app, then on the Alexa page select the cog settings icon and finally turn on Amazon music hd/UHD there too.

From what I understand, and I might be wrong, using the Amazon app on Android only gives HD.
According to the Amazon blurb, Ultra-HD is only achievable on the PC?

From what I understand, and I might be wrong, using the Amazon app on Android only gives HD.
According to the Amazon blurb, Ultra-HD is only achievable on the PC?
The native Amazon Music app playing on any platform is a dog‘s dinner, and even in the instances where your device can support up to 24/192 such as Windows, it’s not bitperfect. For Android, it does support up to 24/48, so strictly speaking does support UHD as Amazon terms anything that is 24bit as UHD.

The WiiM devices, on the other hand, can either play Amazon Music bit perfect up to 24/192 either from the WiiM Home app or when casting from the Amazon Music app.

Back in my Amazon times I tried it with a Samsung S22 and a few USB dongles. The FiiO KA1 for example showed with it's LED that AMHD delivered higher than 48 (it has no digit display, only different colors) and the app showed up to 192, if available. So if the question is meant for an Android phone: there are dongles which can deliver up to the magic 192 😉
Any other Android device: I do not know.

The native Amazon Music app playing on any platform is a dog‘s dinner, and even in the instances where your device can support up to 24/192 such as Windows, it’s not bitperfect. For Android, it does support up to 24/48, so strictly speaking does support UHD as Amazon terms anything that is 24bit as UHD.

The WiiM devices, on the other hand, can either play Amazon Music bit perfect up to 24/192 either from the WiiM Home app or when casting from the Amazon Music app.
Thanks for the reply. I have not been able to achieve HD-Ultra with my Android tablet, even activating all the ULTRA/HD toggles & hires coax settings. Still......sounds good and certainly matches Tidal HiFi in SQ.....

Thanks for the reply. I have not been able to achieve HD-Ultra with my Android tablet, even activating all the ULTRA/HD toggles & hires coax settings. Still......sounds good and certainly matches Tidal HiFi in SQ.....
My Motorola Edge 30 Fusion happily plays 24/48 i.e. UHD, and will play 24/96 when connected to an external DAC. Same as my Ipad. But again, both not bit perfect. That's why the WiiM devices are so good for Amazon Music

Ok, are we talking about playing Amazon Music on your WiiM, or on your tablet itself? The WiiM Home app will play Amazon Music up to 24/192 on your WiiM device if you have enabled hd/uhd on its browse/ amazon music/ settings page. I presume you have also done the audio test for whichever digital output (coax or optical) you have chosen on your device?

If you wish to use the amazon music app to cast up to 24/192 to your Wiim, you first need to link the Wiim home app to Alexa via the amazon Alexa option on the browse page, then choose the cog setting icon on that Alexa page to select hd/uhd as well. At that point, your WiiM should appear as a casting target in your amazon music app and should then delpivert up to the max of the device/DAC your Wiim is connected to. Also check the amazon music app settings for playing over wifi although that might not impact casting.

Last edited:
Ok, are we talking about playing Amazon Music on your WiiM, or on your tablet itself? The WiiM Home app will play Amazon Music up to 24/192 on your WiiM device if you have enabled hd/uhd on its browse/ amazon music/ settings page. I presume you have also done the audio test for whichever digital outpout (coax or optical) you have chosen on your device?

If you wish to use the amazon music app to cast up to 24/192 to your Wiim, you first need to link the Wiim home app to Alexa via the amazon Alexa option on the browse page, then choose the cog setting icon on that Alexa page to select hd/uhd as well. At that point, your WiiM should appear as a casting target in your amazon music app and should then delpivert up to the max of the device/DAC your Wiim is connected to. Also check the amazon music app settings for playing over wifi although that might not I pact casting.
Thanks for your help Brantome.
I have tried playing both through the tablet via Amazon app, and through the Wiim app. Since activating Alexa, I now have another option in the Amazon Music app to play through which I assume is Alexa?
Even so, my DAC display is showing 16/44, although Amazon via Wiim app displays playing at 24/44 :unsure:

Back