No sound from Optical Out

morespinach

Like many other threads..

Wiim Mini
Connected via SPDIF Optical out, into a two-RCA into my Marshall Stanmore speaker.

In the Wiim app on my iPhone, I've ensured
- Volume is fixed
- tried all bit rates combos... 44 / 16bit would be OK for me, even that doesn't work
- Optical Out is selected
- On Marshall, RCA is selected

What else? Is my device faulty too as is the conclusion in all those other threads at last?

Wiim Mini
Connected via SPDIF Optical out, into a two-RCA into my Marshall Stanmore speaker.

- Volume is fixed
- tried all bit rates combos... 44 / 16bit would be OK for me, even that doesn't work

What else? Is my device faulty too as is the conclusion in all those other threads at last?
I'm slightly confused...
How do you go from mini optical to speaker rca?
What's in the middle to convert to analog?

Wiim Mini

- Volume is fixed

Can you tell us a little more about your device and how to connect it?

If you want to connect the Mini and the Marshall speaker directly, you will need to connect the Optical out of the Mini to the Optical in of the speaker and switch the input of the speaker to Optical.

Wiim Mini

- Volume is fixed

Don’t think we’ve seen “many other threads” doing what you’re trying to do. More detail is needed on how you convert a digital optical out into an analogue rca input.

Wiim Mini

- Volume is fixed

That’s not how it works. Optical need to be fed on dac to be converted to analog. Take a picture how you connect it then we can see why it wasn’t working.

The model of the speaker would be helpful along with a photo of its back so we can see the available connections. From your information in your original post, it’s not surprising it isn’t working…

The OP has only made two posts, both on Friday, both rather angry, and related to the same "issue".

Nothing further. Maybe he has his answer?

The Marshall Stanmore speaker does not have an optical input. Your options for connecting the WiiM Mini to that speaker are analog (3.5mm or RCA), or Bluetooth.
That was my first reaction, too. I than noticed that OP had rather cryptically posted:

Whatever he intended to write, the magic device "two-RCA" might have an optical input and an analog output. Just guessing of course, since there's been no response.

The Marshall Stanmore speaker does not have an optical input. Your options for connecting the WiiM Mini to that speaker are analog (3.5mm or RCA), or Bluetooth.
The picture of Marshall Stanmore that I saw has an Optical input. I don't know in detail, but is it different for different generations?

1000002246.jpg

In any case, it seems that the OP is no longer here. He may not come back until finish eating the spinach. 😁

Yes @Wiimer is right - I have a Marshall Stanmore (original) and @Mike in NY describes the Marshall Stanmore II. I confirm mine has an optical toslink output. I currently have a Wiim Pro/Topping dac into rca on the Stanmore. My Stanmore also has a 3.5 mm input - i have always assumed it was an analog only input, but i guess it could be a combo digital/analog 3.5mm (I think there is such a thing?) @morespinach probably found his answer without the need to answer the many enquiring minds of the wiim forum :unsure:

I don't know in detail, but is it different for different generations?

Yes, there have been at least 3 generations of that speaker. To the best of my knowledge the Stanmore II did not have an optical input, but it would appear from your post that other versions do.

My Stanmore also has a 3.5 mm input - i have always assumed it was an analog only input, but i guess it could be a combo digital/analog 3.5mm (I think there is such a thing?)

There is such a thing, but I believe it is analog only on the Stanmore, actually a 16/48 ADC.

Maybe the OP uses a regular jack to rca plug which he put in the AUX output of the mini. No issues there. But he needs to select the correct output of the mini (and not the optical output).

Worst case, there might have been different versions for different markets. The current generation Stanmore III as sold in Europe does not have an optical input, that's for sure.

Maybe the OP uses a regular jack to rca plug which he put in the combo output of the mini. No issues there. But he needs to select the correct output of the mini (and not the optical output).
And that's yet another possible reason for no sound. Could even be an explanation for this weird "into a 2-RCA" statement.

Back