No sound coming from Wiim Mini using SPDIF

ssen

Wanted to use the Wiim mini to output audio to my Sonos playbar (not connected to TV) so that I can Airplay content from my iPhone/iPad to the soundbar. The playbar is just used as speakers and is not connected to a TV or anything else. Connected the Wiim mini to the Sonos playbar using SPDIF as the original Playbar only accepts SPDIF as input (no AUX).

Unfortunately, I am not getting any sound to the Playbar. I have tried different audio resolutions and none of them output any sound (even during the test/settings). I know the Playbar works because I am able to stream content from the Sonos app directly to the playbar and everything works perfectly from the Sonos app.

I have tested the cable that came with the Wiim mini as well as a different one (that I know works). I do see the red light from both optical cables.

The Wiim app shows that my network strength is "Very Good". I am able to toggle the status light on/off on the Wiim mini from the app so I know that the app connects to the Wiim mini.

When I play a song from my iPad to the Wiim (via the Wiim app), it says that the song is playing but of course, there is no sound coming from the speakers.

Is there something I am missing?

Wanted to use the Wiim mini to output audio to my Sonos playbar (not connected to TV) so that I can Airplay content from my iPhone/iPad to the soundbar. The playbar is just used as speakers and is not connected to a TV or anything else. Connected the Wiim mini to the Sonos playbar using SPDIF as the original Playbar only accepts SPDIF as input (no AUX).

Unfortunately, I am not getting any sound to the Playbar. I have tried different audio resolutions and none of them output any sound (even during the test/settings). I know the Playbar works because I am able to stream content from the Sonos app directly to the playbar and everything works perfectly from the Sonos app.

I have tested the cable that came with the Wiim mini as well as a different one (that I know works). I do see the red light from both optical cables.

The Wiim app shows that my network strength is "Very Good". I am able to toggle the status light on/off on the Wiim mini from the app so I know that the app connects to the Wiim mini.

When I play a song from my iPad to the Wiim (via the Wiim app), it says that the song is playing but of course, there is no sound coming from the speakers.

Is there something I am missing?
Is there sound when you change "Spdif output resolution" to 16bit/44.1kHz in the device settings of the WiiM app?

The output resolution must be set to a value that allows the Sonos Playbar to accept input.

Yea, I tried that and some other combos - no sound! Not sure what the Sonos playbar requires but the playbar plays the same songs from the Sonos app directly.

Last edited:
Thanks @Achim1811

I read the article but I think the issue is with the device’s optical port. My Sonos playbar doesn’t have Airplay so I was hoping to use the WiiM mini to get around that limitation. As per the article, it should work the way I had it set up i.e. WiiM to Sonos Playbar via optical, unless I misunderstood something

@ssen
Only for my understanding. We use an Arc in the living room for TV only and in the kitchen an Era. Neither my wife nor I had ever thought to leave the Sonos app for this jobs and try to do it via WiiM. What advantage do you expect? No answer to your question, I know. But I am curious 😉

@Achim1811, great question. I have an Arc in the living room as well. In fact, it replaced the Playbar. As a result, I have a spare soundbar that I was planning to use as a speaker in the bedroom.

I can stream music to the Playbar from the Sonos app so that’s not a problem.

What I was hoping to do was to Airplay the sound from my YouTube app on the iPad to the Playbar so that I can watch videos on the iPad while the sound from the YouTube video comes from the Playbar. If the Playbar supported Airplay like the Arc, my problem would be solved but because it doesn’t, I was hoping to use WiiM as an Airplay receiver (connected to the Playbar). That way I could Airplay the audio to the Playbar from the YouTube app on the IPad

:)

Ok, reads a little bit complicated 😂
The more I read and think is that is a use which is simply restricted by Sonos. Only a suspicion of course.
The Sonos gear is always build for using in their own system and they think what the hell could be a reason to connect a streamer to a streamer? Just brought my Pro to the living room and switched the optical cable from the TV to the WiiM. No sound!

You may be right in that it is restricted from Sonos. I ordered another WiiM, just to eliminate the possibility that the optical port is faulty. If it also doesn’t work then very likely the culprit is the Playbar and I may have to look at alternatives

Thanks for checking though. Really appreciate it 🫶🏼

You may be right in that it is restricted from Sonos. I ordered another WiiM, just to eliminate the possibility that the optical port is faulty. If it also doesn’t work then very likely the culprit is the Playbar and I may have to look at alternatives

Thanks for checking though. Really appreciate it 🫶🏼
Do you have any other device with optical in that you can test with?
Is the volume on the wiim turned up? I know that mine was on zero when I first got it, so I got no sound at all, even on the test tone.

If you airplay to the wiim then optical out to the Sonos you might find that there's a lip sync issue. Then again, you might not, but be prepared for it, just in case!
And... I can't see how the Sonos bar would know the difference between a tv and any other source! If you do connect the tv to the sonos, does it work?

I checked it again and still no sound. May be the reason is this adapter cable coming with the ARC...? We use it for TV with HDMI but thats of course not possible with a WiiM.

Such questions leave me restless 😂 so I tried something different.
Connected the Sonos Arc's HDMI in via i2s out from my Neo Stream. Works!
The Arc via optical to the Neo Stream doesn't work.
So my suspicion is still a limit for the optical, maybe due to the adapter.

@Mr Ee I did try fiddling with the volume on the Wiim when it wasn't playing any sound. My Playbar was connected to the TV previously using optical so I know that both the Playbar and the optical cable work.

@Achim1811 I contacted Sonos support. Their suggestion was to try and do the TV Setup option in the Sonos app after everything is hooked up. He did say that it may or may not work as the Playbar is ideally meant for TV setups.

Unfortunately, in the interim, I decided to return my Wiim so I don't have it with me anymore. I'll leave the comment here for posterity in case someone wants to try and troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and feedback everyone!

Perhaps my thoughts were right. The only setup it worked with was via i2s/HDMI. Maybe they do not really want to please the competition 😉

Back