What will wiim send to DAC

Just for curiosity.
I had a old Musical Fidelity V-Dac mk1.
By the specs it accept only 24/96 through Toslink. I downloaded a 24/96 and 24/192 samples. WiiM optical out is set to maximum resolution and both files are on my phone memory.
I hear both...is it possible ?

Just for curiosity.
I had a old Musical Fidelity V-Dac mk1.
By the specs it accept only 24/96 through Toslink. I downloaded a 24/96 and 24/192 samples. WiiM optical out is set to maximum resolution and both files are on my phone memory.
I hear both...is it possible ?
Hi Bazzast,

Since your DAC only supports 24/96, you can only set the maximal output of the TOSLINK output to 24/96k (not 24/192k). When the WiiM plays 24/192k sample and your output only supports up to 24/96k, it will automatically down-sample it to the 24/96k before outputting to your DAC (so your DAC can support, otherwise, it'll be no sound). Hope it clarifies.

Hi Bazzast,

Since your DAC only supports 24/96, you can only set the maximal output of the TOSLINK output to 24/96k (not 24/192k). When the WiiM plays 24/192k sample and your output only supports up to 24/96k, it will automatically down-sample it to the 24/96k before outputting to your DAC (so your DAC can support, otherwise, it'll be no sound). Hope it clarifies.
Ok, but how WiiM could know about max resolution supported by dac ? Is it possible the the dac itself downsample the signal to 24/96?

Ok, but how WiiM could know about max resolution supported by dac ? Is it possible the the dac itself downsample the signal to 24/96?
There is test audio we asked you to try and play from the WiiM Home App when you set the maximal resolution for your output of the WiiM devices. You can access this by selecting the Devices tab > Tap the device setting gear icon > Audio Settings > SPDIF Output Resolution > Select the sample rate, bit depth then play the test audio.

There is test audio we asked you to try and play from the WiiM Home App when you set the maximal resolution for your output of the WiiM devices. You can access this by selecting the Devices tab > Tap the device setting gear icon > Audio Settings > SPDIF Output Resolution > Select the sample rate, bit depth then play the test audio.
And I do it, and I hear sound at both 24/ 96 e 24/192.

It's quite possible that the device specs only state up to 96khz on toslink yet the device can work with 192.
My amp/dac does this, and the manufacturer confirmed that it's because there can be issues with > 96 over toslink (see others here who say that they've had issues with some cables at 192 while other cables work) so they only state 96 in the specs.

It's quite possible that the device specs only state up to 96khz on toslink yet the device can work with 192.
My amp/dac does this, and the manufacturer confirmed that it's because there can be issues with > 96 over toslink (see others here who say that they've had issues with some cables at 192 while other cables work) so they only state 96 in the specs.
That's a nice news.
Probably works the way you said.
Need to find some free 24/192music for approfondite test..

Back