Which WIIM model would I need if i use external DAC?

scottm_dj

So my question is pretty simple: Even the best WIIM Pro Plus DAC can't beat the stellar 9038 Pro DAC implementation of my OPPO 205. So I want to be able to send the full high-res 24-192 Qobuz output (plus lesser internet radio) from the WIIM into my 205 DAC to be processed and then out to my system.

So...which WIIM model would do this? Would even the "lowly" mini model work for this purpose If I use one of the digital outputs? In my scenario I have no need to output other than a "bitstream" signal...

So my question is pretty simple: Even the best WIIM Pro Plus DAC can't beat the stellar 9038 Pro DAC implementation of my OPPO 205. So I want to be able to send the full high-res 24-192 Qobuz output (plus lesser internet radio) from the WIIM into my 205 DAC to be processed and then out to my system.

So...which WIIM model would do this? Would even the "lowly" mini model work for this purpose If I use one of the digital outputs? In my scenario I have no need to output other than a "bitstream" signal...
Yes, the mini will work, having optical out.
But for not much more money really I'd go the pro, if only because it has more capabilities and more internal memory / processing power.
(Edit: such as ethernet, coax out and chromecast)

Wiim are working on Qobuz Connect, which I'm certain will come to the pro.
It may well come to the mini too, but I can't recall this being confirned.

I'm just looking for Q Connect to come to ANYTHING :). They're so far behind on that is ridiculous...

But in my case there's really no need for the PLUS because I'll be using the digital outs, correct? That would come into play if I was hooking directly into a preamp with the analog-out...or using an analog-in like from a turntable, neither which I'm doing.

I'm just looking for Q Connect to come to ANYTHING :). They're so far behind on that is ridiculous...

But in my case there's really no need for the PLUS because I'll be using the digital outs, correct? That would come into play if I was hooking directly into a preamp with the analog-out...or using an analog-in like from a turntable, neither which I'm doing.
Correct, no need for the pro plus apart from what you mention.
Another edit! The plus has a little more space around the sockets. Some coax cables in particular don't fit in the smaller recess on the pro.

So I dug up an old Sonos Zone Player tonite and hooked it up the same way into my 205--has to be at least 15 years old but still does the trick Obviously it's not going to be in high-res & going to cut everything down to "dreaded" 16-44, but their interface Is considered the gold standard.

How does the WIIM software interface compare to Sonos for those that have experienced both? I don't see access to Shoutcast or Icecast internet radio (containing my fav PureClassix station), but it looks like Sonos has about everything else. Does WIIM have a favorite section where you can add any mix of entries?

The Wiim home app does offer access to radio via vTuner (which carries Pure Classix), Tunein and Open Network Stream where you can add the url of the station if it’s not in the previous two services. You can favourite from within the vTuner and Tunein sections, as well as setting presets.

Last edited:
Back