While streaming via Airplay, the app shows 256kbps bitrate only?

DariuszP

I am a new user / member, so let me use this opportunity to say hallo to everybody! I have just purchased WiiM Mini - it is really an impressive tiny device!

I have the following problem however: when streaming to the WiiM via Airplay (from iPhone, MacBook, AppleTV - tried all), the app shows that this stream is at 16/44 @ 256kbps (as per screenshot attached). And this is for Apple Music as well as any other content I stream via Airplay. I checked all the settings (both on WiiM app and on the source devices) and I believe all is setup properly and should send music in max. quality available for Airplay protocol (for best Apple Music files: ALAC 24/48 I guess?), but apparently it does not? My main concern is this 256kbps (16/44 I could live with).
Have you encountered such problem? Is there a quick fix for this?

Many thanks for your help!

My best regards

Darek

My setup is: WiiM Mini connected via Optical to DAC-40 card in Accuphase amp.

Attachments

• IMG_395573CBC141-1.jpeg
    IMG_395573CBC141-1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
That screenshot is showing the sample rate of the source file. In essence you are streaming an MP3
Well, this is exactly my concern - on Apple Music app side it is Lossless (or for other files - even Hi-Res Lossless), but on the WiiM App side it is what it is (256 - like AAC).

I am a new user / member, so let me use this opportunity to say hallo to everybody! I have just purchased WiiM Mini - it is really an impressive tiny device!

I have the following problem however: when streaming to the WiiM via Airplay (from iPhone, MacBook, AppleTV - tried all), the app shows that this stream is at 16/44 @ 256kbps (as per screenshot attached). And this is for Apple Music as well as any other content I stream via Airplay. I checked all the settings (both on WiiM app and on the source devices) and I believe all is setup properly and should send music in max. quality available for Airplay protocol (for best Apple Music files: ALAC 24/48 I guess?), but apparently it does not? My main concern is this 256kbps (16/44 I could live with).
Have you encountered such problem? Is there a quick fix for this?

Many thanks for your help!

My best regards

Darek

My setup is: WiiM Mini connected via Optical to DAC-40 card in Accuphase amp.
In my Accuphase integrated is the DAC-50 option. With files in CD quality or hi-res up to 192 the WiiM app always shows the correct resolution. I guess it is related to Apple and/or Airplay.
Did you have correct audio settings in WiiM?

Did you have correct audio settings in WiiM?
I set this at 24/192 (as this is supported by the DAC, also based on test sounds clips in the app). And while streaming Tidal (either via WiiM App or Tidal Connect), the files are typically 24/96 (MQA, first unfold) and are recognized as such both in WiiM App and by Accuphase integrated (it clicks to proper sample rates). The only problem is Airplay...

In the very moment I wrote about the settings I instantly knew it was nonsense and in no way applicable to your problem. When reading your reply I think you have your answer 😉

In the very moment I wrote about the settings I instantly knew it was nonsense and in no way applicable to your problem. When reading your reply I think you have your answer 😉
Dear Achim, thank you for your support! I have not noticed other people reporting such behavior, so I think that Airplay CAN work properly on WiiM Mini (otherwise - what's the point?) and I hoped that simply there is something I could change in the settings...

Just a thought have you set something on your iOS device that makes it think it’s not on WiFi - I don’t use Apple do not sure if there is a bitrate limiting setting

My first idea have been the settings.
Personally I do not use all the casting things like Airplay or Chromecast, so I am a wrong adviser 😉
But hell of a lot users here can and will give you all the knowledge you need!

Airplay2 is anyway stripped down to 44.1 16bit AAC. I not yet understood if and when in some case it is passed lossless.
As far I know, only Sonos and tweaked Mac with ext dac, can play at hi-res available files on apple music

Just a thought have you set something on your iOS device that makes it think it’s not on WiFi - I don’t use Apple do not sure if there is a bitrate limiting set
I do not think so... I have even changed the Apple Music bitrate to HiRes Lossless - regardless if on WiFi or cellular - and it is playing such files on the device (but not via Airplay). And moreover I have the same if streamed from the computer or apple tv (having no cellular options).

Airplay2 is anyway stripped down to 44.1 16bit AAC. I not yet understood if and when in some case it is passed lossless.
As far I know, only Sonos and tweaked Mac with ext dac, can play at hi-res available files on apple music
It is but it should play 16/44.1 FLAC at 1411kbps. 256kbps is AAC

Dear Merifon, thanks for the clarification. However my real problem is not this 16/44, but rather reported 256kbps bitrate (suggesting this is not ALAC but rather compressed AAC).

I do not think so... I have even changed the Apple Music bitrate to HiRes Lossless - regardless if on WiFi or cellular - and it is playing such files on the device (but not via Airplay). And moreover I have the same if streamed from the computer or apple tv (having no cellular options).
What if you stream from something other than Apple?

Try rebooting the WiiM
I know. IT cliche but perhaps the first thing you threw at it was 256kbps and it’s misreporting it’s ability to play higher.

Back