How did this happen?

Sliphorn

I have three linked mini’s, a master and two slaves with the master being my main system. I use an iPad (Airplay) and play everything through the WiiM app using Qobuz as my streaming service. Every once in a while the linked mini’s will separate and I have to link them back together. Today I happened to turn on only the smallest system in my house, the bathroom, and this is what I got…….See photo. I did not think it was possible to get anything higher than 16/44 or 16/48 with Airplay. I looked at the app and noticed the bathroom had separated from the other two even though they were not turned on. When I turned on the main system and linked the three back together, the music stopped playing. After starting the music again it reverted back to the usual 16/48 that I always get with Qobuz playing through the WiiM app. Strange, right? Too bad it wasn’t my main system that was playing the higher resolution to see if I could hear a difference. I suspect not considering I’m 69 years old and was a professional musician for 48+ years.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.png
    IMG_0163.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
I don’t see anything untoward - looks like you’re using Qobuz from within the Wiim App to that device’s aux out, not Airplay, so up to 24/192 is supported for that. When you link the other devices back in again, you are constrained by Linkplay’s 16/48 group limit. I don’t see Airplay being deployed at all in either scenario - perhaps you’re mistaken in believing that’s what the WiiM app uses to play to Wiim devices.

I don’t see anything untoward - looks like you’re using Qobuz from within the Wiim App to that device’s aux out, not Airplay, so up to 24/192 is supported for that. When you link the other devices back in again, you are constrained by Linkplay’s 16/48 group limit. I don’t see Airplay being deployed at all in either scenario - perhaps you’re mistaken in believing that’s what the WiiM app uses to play to Wiim devices.
Ok, thanks for that. Yes, I always use Qobuz from within the WiiM app. I am definitely confused how this all works. My other two systems use optical to connect and I use external DAC’s. When I use one system via optical it always plays the lower resolution. Yeah, I am confused. When is Airplay deployed?

Thanks

Ok, thanks for that. Yes, I always use Qobuz from within the WiiM app. I am definitely confused how this all works. My other two systems use optical to connect and I use external DAC’s. When I use one system via optical it always plays the lower resolution.

If you’re using the same Wiim Home app/phone, Qobuz login and have set the resolution on the Qobuz page there to its highest , then it could be that the device to which the WiiM is connected only supports 16/44.1 on its optical input; or you haven’t done the audio test on the WiiM home app for that WiiM device and set it at its highest supported resolution; or maybe the optical cable isn’t properly seated at both ends. Guess there might be an outside chance that there’s an issue with your cable, so try another.

Yeah, I am confused. When is Airplay deployed?

Thanks
AirPlay is only deployed when you explicitly connect to your WiiM Mini‘s from an iOS device, say to transmit an audio stream from your phone for a service not supported by the WiiM Home app - you’d have to select the Mini as an airplay target in the ios control centre. WiiM doesn’t use airplay to play Qobuz from the WiiM Home app to a single or group of WiiM devices.

Last edited:
If you’re using the same Wiim Home app/phone, Qobuz login and have set the resolution on the Qobuz page there to its highest , then it could be that the device to which the WiiM is connected only supports 16/44.1 on its optical input; or you haven’t done the audio test on the WiiM home app for that WiiM device and set it at its highest supported resolution; or maybe the optical cable isn’t properly seated at both ends. Guess there might be an outside chance that there’s an issue with your cable, so try another.

AirPlay is only deployed when you explicitly connect to your WiiM Mini‘s from an iOS device, say to transmit an audio stream from your phone for a service not supported by the WiiM Home app - you’d have to select the Mini as an airplay target in the ios control centre. WiiM doesn’t use airplay to play Qobuz from the WiiM Home app to a single or group of WiiM devices.
Again, thanks. I’m going to do some re-do’s and trouble shooting.

Last edited:

I got it all sorted and am listening to my main system only, and my current selection is streaming at 24/96. Not that I can hear a difference. Ha! Thanks for all your help.

Back