While streaming via Airplay, the app shows 256kbps bitrate only?

DariuszP

I am a new user / member, so let me use this opportunity to say hallo to everybody! I have just purchased WiiM Mini - it is really an impressive tiny device!

I have the following problem however: when streaming to the WiiM via Airplay (from iPhone, MacBook, AppleTV - tried all), the app shows that this stream is at 16/44 @ 256kbps (as per screenshot attached). And this is for Apple Music as well as any other content I stream via Airplay. I checked all the settings (both on WiiM app and on the source devices) and I believe all is setup properly and should send music in max. quality available for Airplay protocol (for best Apple Music files: ALAC 24/48 I guess?), but apparently it does not? My main concern is this 256kbps (16/44 I could live with).
Have you encountered such problem? Is there a quick fix for this?

Many thanks for your help!

My best regards

Darek

My setup is: WiiM Mini connected via Optical to DAC-40 card in Accuphase amp.

Attachments

• IMG_395573CBC141-1.jpeg
    IMG_395573CBC141-1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
According to this article from Darko, I guess we could ask WiiM to let us set Airplay mode to "Airplay 1" rather than "Airplay 2" to get a cd quality stream?
Guess we/you could, or get CD quality if the system-wide AirPlay device is set on MacOS as per the oft quoted audiophilestyle article that “Brother Thomas“ didn’t mention ;)

Edit: re reading that article, it looks like you would need the apple music app to be an airplay 1 app, which according to him, it isn’t. So even if WiiM could operate in Airplay 1 mode, you still wouldn’t get lossless Airplay from the Apple Music app on iOS.

Last edited:
Think that's been clear for WiiM users for a long time ;)
Indeed but Apple hardware shouldn't be similarly tarnished. I have been using iPhones as portable LMS players using iPeng with an external DAC, a pair of B&W P7s and getting 24/192 for ages whereas Android has only recently got its audio pathway sorted.

Guess we/you could, or get CD quality if the system-wide AirPlay device is set on MacOS as per the oft quoted audiophilestyle article that “Brother Thomas“ didn’t mention ;)

Edit: re reading that article, it looks like you would need the apple music app to be an airplay 1 app, which according to him, it isn’t. So even if WiiM could operate in Airplay 1 mode, you still wouldn’t get lossless Airplay from the Apple Music app on iOS.
I think it means as long as either app, transmitting device or receiving device is running AirPlay version 1 it should opt for airplay 1?

I’ve tried all the usual suspects but I feel like none of them comes close to the Spotify suggestions and theme lists etc…. I want the algo with cd quality (or better) I think I’d be happy with cd quality..

Do you mean that none of the other services comes close to Spotify just in terms of suggestions?
It has the best library and user interface too in my opinion. But unfortunately also, easily the worst sound quality
Yes, their algo for suggestions are simply great and also I enjoy that I can just pick “moods” and other stations and so on easily. While trying out all others it feels like I need a well-curated list or lists with music I want to listen to.

On your other points I do agree (I think). I haven’t been able to determine how well the others’ libraries stack up since… well, their suggestions have not been at all that great to help me find music 😅

Apple will stream over airplay in lossless quality. You need the end point to be running Airplay 1. I use a 1st generation Airport Express (runs Airplay 1) and it’s lossless. This is why WiiM products stream AAC … Wiim uses airplay 2. I would like to see WiiM give you a choice for Airplay1 vs Airplay 2. A firmware update could easily take care of this.

Last edited:
Hi all
I’m trying to get either one or ideally of course both my AirPort Express 802.11 g and n 1st gen models (blocks) which I have on my wireless network to be used as endpoints for the WiiM Amp.
Has anyone managed this?
Note - I can connect to both as AirPlay devices from Apple Music, podcasts etc. as an iphone or Mac endpoint successfully, and other 2nd gen n one can be seen and used by Wiim Amp, albeit not simultaneously with, say, my main speakers.

Last edited:
I am a new user / member, so let me use this opportunity to say hallo to everybody! I have just purchased WiiM Mini - it is really an impressive tiny device!

I have the following problem however: when streaming to the WiiM via Airplay (from iPhone, MacBook, AppleTV - tried all), the app shows that this stream is at 16/44 @ 256kbps (as per screenshot attached). And this is for Apple Music as well as any other content I stream via Airplay. I checked all the settings (both on WiiM app and on the source devices) and I believe all is setup properly and should send music in max. quality available for Airplay protocol (for best Apple Music files: ALAC 24/48 I guess?), but apparently it does not? My main concern is this 256kbps (16/44 I could live with).
Have you encountered such problem? Is there a quick fix for this?

Many thanks for your help!

My best regards

Darek

My setup is: WiiM Mini connected via Optical to DAC-40 card in Accuphase amp.

From Mac, I use Airfoil from rogueamoeba for streaming after Airfoil still uses the Airplay I protokoll (+ supports casting to several devices) = around 900kbit stream/16bit/44.1 FLAC. MacOS & iOS "build in" airplay always defaults to 265kbit AAC even with strong wifi and plenty of bandwith. Seems Apple does not care Airplay lost it's ability to stream lossless but still hope it'll be changed some day... until then, if Wiim could introduce a setting to force Airplay I on Wiim s side it'd be great.

Back