Why SPDIF instead of Coaxial Input?

Doublej

Major Contributor
I am curious as to why WiiM chose to use a SPDIF input instead of Coaxial input on the Pro Plus. My reason for asking is I was looking to use a DVD player as a CD transport but all I can find are DVD players with coaxial output.

I am curious as to why WiiM chose to use a SPDIF input instead of Coaxial input on the Pro Plus. My reason for asking is I was looking to use a DVD player as a CD transport but all I can find are DVD players with coaxial output.
I'm assuming 'cos most TVs have optical output, and that's likely to be the prime use case.

Just run the signal through a coax-optical converter. They're inexpensive and the audio data is unaffected.

As for WiiM's rationale the use cases are obviously part of it, but it also removes any possible gremlins caused by galvanic coupling.

Just run the signal through a coax-optical converter. They're inexpensive and the audio data is unaffected.

As for WiiM's rationale the use cases are obviously part of it, but it also removes any possible gremlins caused by galvanic coupling.
Yes, this is the solution, although I was trying to avoid having a stack of boxes and transformers.

Back