Why do people buy downloads?

Giro413

Just wondering what the incentives are for people to buy downloads. From what I gather there is no advantage in downloading rather than streaming (unless you have a poor internet connection). Is that not so? And does that mean that the main reason to pay money for a downloadable file of an album is because you want to actually own the digital file? I am not implying that there is anything wrong with that. Just curious if I am missing something here. I use Qobuz for streaming with my Wiim Pro Plus and buy the vinyl if I want to own a copy of an album (I do believe that vinyl still sounds the best, so there is my incentive for doing that). I also have a bunch of downloadable album codes laying around (from my vinyl purchases) but have never used one, as I am not sure why I would when I can stream the same file more easily.

It is a tricky and often disputed point.
Personally I still buy fluid music. Not so often as before because the streaming services give me the chance to try before buy.
But for me feeling and appreciation for the artist is still important.
I know that my opinion is not so common but for me streaming is too cheap. We had this before, so many are talking about fair payment for the artists but then make their decision with 2 € price difference. And for too much people that I know it changed the good old patient listening behavior. Skip instead of listening. I call it the playlist generation 😉
But that is as always a very subjective position of an elder music enthusiasts.

The “ownership” of a digital file that you have paid for and downloaded is still open to question. In most countries you cannot transfer the title to it as you only have a legal right to keep it and listen to it,

To sell a downloaded music file is for me the same nonsense than to sell or buy a "used" software. I wanna "have" the music, not a thing to trade 😉

To sell a downloaded music file is for me the same nonsense than to sell or buy a "used" software. I wanna "have" the music, not a thing to trade 😉
I was referring to the fact that you can’t leave it to your Grandchildren for example

They will get all the harddisks 😉 but of course you are right. But when I bought music in my life it was never with the intention to sell it. And in this special case may be I am a stupid naive idiot who wants to pay what he gets. So simple.

Last edited:
The “ownership” of a digital file that you have paid for and downloaded is still open to question. In most countries you cannot transfer the title to it as you only have a legal right to keep it and listen to it,
Interesting point. I will stick to my vinyls when I want to purchase an album. Those will be more interesting for my grand kids to take out and look at in bewilderment, when the time comes. ;)

More money goes to the artists I like. Streaming services loose rights to stream artists regularly. Owning my own allows me to chose the version I want to listen to not some crappy remaster, a format I don’t want etc. I can listen to it when I have no internet and on more devices. I can curate it in a way that means something to me. I don’t have to deal with the crappy suggestions all streaming services throw down your throat nor all the noise they have in their apps.

I use streaming services for discovery only, if I like it I buy it either as cd or a download.

Back