Where is WiiM going to spend its resources?

Bluedolphin

I am curious what users thing about business plan and opportunities for WiiM going forward. Where is WiiM going to spend its resources, to establish a steady revenue stream?

My thoughts:

HARDWARE

• Clearly there are products in pipeline, and the pipeline is probably 2 years out.

• They just need to keep executing at the current level, which is terrific.

• Sonos has its fans. Lock-in. Expensive. Hardware is not all that profitable unless you are Apple. Software is not very configurable.

• Several other options, but WiiM is great bang for the buck.

SOFTWARE

• Roon has lots of fans. Expensive. Recently bought by Harmon-Kardon, and acquistitions like this usually mean bad things for the product.

• Streaming vs locally stored music

- I suspect streaming is over 80% of use, or will trend that way as WiiM goes beyond audiophiles to greater adoption.

- WiiM is going to keep getting this data from its users, and will base resource allocation partially on this data. They will continue to gather user data, and use it to improve features (and possibly sell the data).

• Software is hard to do well, but incredibly sticky if end user falls in love with stability, ease of use and interface. Especially if it is tied to hardware.

- WiiM app should become the best solution for WiiM hardware. Integration is always better for end-user. Simplicity is king. I use Spotify and Tidal streaming and MusicBee on Windows. No experience with Apple Music and many other competitors.

Spotify has the best user interface for all comers. Tidal has copied much of it, for good reason.

WiiM app UI should shamelessly copy Spotify for ease of use/transition since Spotify has greatest market share. Any friction is bad.

- Make multi-room work flawlessly.

Hopefully the start of a lively discussion! :)

I do not think this forum is an academic ‘business school’ seminar. WiiM does not need this forum’s advice to set its path, nor should.

WiiM has asked for customer wishlists and that should be it.

Last edited:
I have answers, opinions and solutions for all the questions! (As I have it always for everything)
So sorry WiiM's offer was more than 1.000.000 € too low. ;-)

WiiM app should become the best solution for WiiM hardware. Integration is always better for end-user.
Impossible as the APIs that streaming services provide to third parties like WiiM don't offer the same richness of features offered in native apps, and with the availability of connect/casting features such as Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, Amazon Music AlexaCast and hopefully Qobuz Connect there's no need for a third party like WiiM to constantly develop their app to keep apace with the native app.

As I've said elsewhere, I wouldn't expect there to be a universal video app that could offer all the features that Netflix, Apple TV, Disneyplus etc offer when I can simply choose the app I wish. I don't see music apps as being any different.

I am absolutely indifferent to how and where this company will go. If it hits my ideas and needs, I might buy a product. That's all.

Impossible as the APIs that streaming services provide to third parties like WiiM don't offer the same richness of features offered in native apps, and with the availability of connect/casting features such as Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, Amazon Music AlexaCast and hopefully Qobuz Connect there's no need for a third party like WiiM to constantly develop their app to keep apace with the native app.

As I've said elsewhere, I wouldn't expect there to be a universal video app that could offer all the features that Netflix, Apple TV, Disneyplus etc offer when I can simply choose the app I wish. I don't see music apps as being any different.
Ah....the API issue makes sense....thank you for the explanation, Brantome. :)

Back