WiiM Home app

Hollywood

Major Contributor
I actually bought an Arylic device (and returned it) that seemed buggy before I got my WiiMs. I noticed that the apps were almost identical. I also have 2 cheap brand devices for my garage and patio that also have what looks like the same look and feel app. A reviewer said it was a "4stream" app.

Does an outside company sell a custom app to WiiM? Is the app outsourced? Can WiiM make functional or cosmetic changes, or do they have an outside company do that?

Just curious because I tons of help with the hardware,but a few posts with app suggestions got no response.

I actually bought an Arylic device (and returned it) that seemed buggy before I got my WiiMs. I noticed that the apps were almost identical. I also have 2 cheap brand devices for my garage and patio that also have what looks like the same look and feel app. A reviewer said it was a "4stream" app.

Does an outside company sell a custom app to WiiM? Is the app outsourced? Can WiiM make functional or cosmetic changes, or do they have an outside company do that?

Just curious because I tons of help with the hardware,but a few posts with app suggestions got no response.
Linkplay is a company that provides solutions to other companies. This includes the Linkplay app.

If you are going down the LMS route then the only thing the WiiM does that can't be done with LMS is Amazon Music / Alexa.

I never touch the App except to see if there have been firmware updates.

On LMS I have local music, Qobuz, BBC Sounds, Radio Paradise (with metadata), Internet Radio etc - I could have Spotify, Tidal, Deezer plus other stuff but what I have got is enough for me.

If you are going down the LMS route then the only thing the WiiM does that can't be done with LMS is Amazon Music / Alexa.

I never touch the App except to see if there have been firmware updates.
I do have Amazon Music as my only paid service. It's Android app is nothing special, but the Windows app is really bad. That's OK, all of the services have a lot of content and it's fun listening to new stuff every once in awhile.

I do have Amazon Music as my only paid service. It's Android app is nothing special, but the Windows app is really bad. That's OK, all of the services have a lot of content and it's fun listening to new stuff every once in awhile.
The windows Amazon music app can’t cast so wouldn’t be of any use for a WiiM device. The WiiM Home app Amazon Music interface isn’t bad but there’s a new amazon api that might make that better that WiiM are looking to implement.

The windows Amazon music app can’t cast so
Amazon Music Home app doesn't have sort functions or be able to use List rather then tiles when listing albums. Also say a band has a lot of albums you are looking through and click one, when you go back to look more the albums are usually not in the same order. Sometimes suggestions for other artists are on the album listing, even listed before all of the actual artist's albums.

I like good sound and am not an audio snob. I don't know the technical details, but I am personally 100% happy with the sound of Amazon Music coming through my WiiMs and they have a great library. Perhaps Amazon being a small company they don't have the pockets to invest in a decent app? They should hire the the guy that wrote Material Skin?:)

If anything, the Amazon Music app has been getting worse rather than better of late. I use my iPad in landscape mode 99% of the time and that was fine till the latest release where I now need to lift it up and rotate it in order to cast or get more info on the track it’s playing, info that used to be ther on the one screen - clearly the developers didn’t think how tablets users might feel.

I’m bemused at how difficult it appears for them to develop a slick, functional music app - at its core it should be a list management app, with the ability to stream your selection. It feels like they should bin it and start again with developers who are users…

If anything, the Amazon Music app has been getting worse rather than better of late. I use my iPad in landscape mode 99% of the time and that was fine till the latest release where I now need to lift it up and rotate it in order to cast or get more info on the track it’s playing, info that used to be ther on the one screen - clearly the developers didn’t think how tablets users might feel.

I’m bemused at how difficult it appears for them to develop a slick, functional music app - at its core it should be a list management app, with the ability to stream your selection. It feels like they should bin it and start again with developers who are users…
I agree. Like I posted about LMS/Material, the app experience makes a BIG difference using the same equipment and library. Back to the Amazon Windows app, you can't even use the mouse to paste into the search box (you can use ctrl-V though). They gave it very little effort.

The infrastructure is already there, with a decent app Amazon Music could own the streaming music industry.

Just speculating here, but it would make sense that a lot of the engineers and supporting tech workers they've laid off over the past several months were associated with the services that have been losing money, including AMU. Amazon's primary sources of revenue are the margins it makes from their retail fulfillment business, and AWS. As the saying goes, if you're not a profit center, you're a cost center...and therefore on the wrong side of the Darwinian fence.

Back