WIIM Pro asking for Airplay code that doesn't exist - for Airplay or "Home" app to add

HappyHighwayman

I just set up the WIIM Pro and it works fine except for Airplay from my iPhone. The iPhone is naturally on wifi while the WIIM is on wifi and Ethernet.

If I choose Airplay from Apple Music OR attempt to add it as a "Home" accessory, it asks for a passcode. There is no option in the Home app to disable the password as indicated by screenshots from the pages I've googled. I do not have a homepod.

The Mac Mini, which is on the ethernet network only, can stream to the WIIM pro via Airplay.

Ideas?

I wonder if your roku is deemed an ’airplay compatible tv’ and it has a setting as alluded to in this Sonos forum thread? Clutching at straws I know, but…

But i can connect to the roku no problem.

Also my roommate is able to use his non-Apple phone (Android) to use their version of Airplay to stream with no issues, so clearly it's an Apple issue.

But i can connect to the roku no problem.

Also my roommate is able to use his non-Apple phone (Android) to use their version of Airplay to stream with no issues, so clearly it's an Apple issue.
He can stream to your WiiM Pro using airplay? If so, sounds more like an issue with apple/your phone. Give Apple a nudge…

I'm convince tech support is trolling me now...
"
Sorry for all the back and forth here. We aren't able to replicate the issue on our end. Can you share what you're connecting the WiiM Pro to?

Did some research online and some people suggest doing a factory reset like you already have, but worth trying again if that works.

Also, if you want to access your Apple Music you can use Airplay 2 directly from the Apple Music app to the WiiM Pro device."

....I can't use Airplay 2....because of the problem I reported to them. So they say "Don't worry you can se Airplay!"
WTF...I can't wrap my head around that.

For clarity and to see if anyone else with the same kit can reproduce the issue, what is the model number of your iPhone and what iOS level are you running? The firmware level the Pro is running and the WiiM Home app version would also be informative.

I’d try the nuclear approach, perhaps again (and sorry if I’m teaching granny to suck eggs...) :
  1. Disconnect the WiiM Pro from your router (if using Ethernet) and reboot the router. Wait till it fully restarts.
  2. Factory reset the WiiM Pro by pressing and holding the play/pause button for 10secs - you should hear the voice tone and the unit’s led should flash white and red.
  3. Connect your WiiM Pro to your wifi network.
  4. On your phone, delete all items and homes in the Home app. Even better, delete the Home app.
  5. Check if your phone is on its latest o/s version. If not, update it.
  6. Power restart your phone: press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. Turn the phone back on.
  7. Re-install the Home app.
  8. Make sure that both your phone and WiiM Pro are connected to the same 5gHz network and the same node if you have a mesh network. Under network status in the Wiim home app, I’d try selecting 5gHz only and wifi roaming off.
  9. I’d then again try to add the WiiM as an accessory to the Home app as per the previously mentioned link https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/so...iim-mini-into-apple-home-app-as-an-accessory-
  10. If that finally works, you should be able to select your WiiM Pro as an Airplay target device from your phone.
    If not, I’d submit another ticket to WiiM detailing the steps above that you have taken and give them yet another opportunity to look at your logs.

I’d also raise a ticket with Apple, or post on their support forums, to see if anyone there has any ideas.

I’d maybe even try the Eero forums as airplay issues have been discussed there going by a quick Google search.

Good luck…
(PS if anyone can think of other steps to add/ things to try, please chip in)

Very puzzling. If you know anyone else with an iPhone and a different account, that would be worth a try to see if they can add the WiM to their home app and airplay to it (both on their network and yours) to try and see if it’s an issue with your setup or the WiiM. In over a year of using WiiM devices and participating in a few different forums, I don’t think I’ve come across this before.

You might want to try and get a replacement Wiim in the event that your unit is faulty.

Thanks a lot. I can try replacing it, getting the Mini, or living with it.

My roommate only has an Android, when friends come over with an iPhone I'll try it. Also I was thinking of borrowing or buying a home pod, disabling the password, and returning it...

Thanks a lot. I can try replacing it, getting the Mini, or living with it.

My roommate only has an Android, when friends come over with an iPhone I'll try it. Also I was thinking of borrowing or buying a home pod, disabling the password, and returning it...
Or AppleTV as it can also work as the hub.

WIIM has concluded that the MDM on my phone by my work org is causing the conflict. There is nothing I can do about that, short of setting up another iOS device.

Back