Wiim Pro+ OPAMP replace

zacci

Hello!

I recently bought a Wiim pro+ streamer and I want to get the most out of it. I replaced the factory rca cable, and a Topping P50 linear psu is on the way. I'm thinking about other tunning for the wiim pro plus. I want to replace the SE5534 opamps.
The options are:
OPA627
OPA1611
AD8065

Can any of them be inserted in place of 5534? Of course, if necessary, I would use a dip8/sop8 converter.

I welcome advice and constructive opinions.

My stereo system:
Onkyo Integra A8450 vintage amplifier, B&W DM602S1, original Audioquest speaker cable and Chinese fake Nordost odin rca :)

Sorry, my bad english! :(

br,
zacci

Hi @zacci I don't think the opamps are socketted for easy replacement. I only had a quick look but they look to be soldered to the board. Could be wrong. Unless you have experience in this type of thing you may not want to attempt this. Your warranty would presumably be void as well.

Hello!

I recently bought a Wiim pro+ streamer and I want to get the most out of it. I replaced the factory rca cable, and a Topping P50 linear psu is on the way. I'm thinking about other tunning for the wiim pro plus. I want to replace the SE5534 opamps.
The options are:
OPA627
OPA1611
AD8065

Can any of them be inserted in place of 5534? Of course, if necessary, I would use a dip8/sop8 converter.

I welcome advice and constructive opinions.

My stereo system:
Onkyo Integra A8450 vintage amplifier, B&W DM602S1, original Audioquest speaker cable and Chinese fake Nordost odin rca :)

Sorry, my bad english! :(

br,
zacci
If the 5534 is not socceted then its gonna be very difficult to change them .
But if they are, I would use opa1611.
I would also expect a small improvement in the soundquality, if its doable.

However - remember that you can have a similar ” upgrade ” in the sound very cheap in the form of SMSL su1 that uses LME49720 , also better sounding than ne5534/5532, at least in my opinion.

The newer smsl d6s uses two opa 1612 but its more expensive .

If you listen to the WiiM pro + long therm you will know if the inbuilt dac is good enough as it is - if its not, I would buy a separate dac .

I use the WiiM pro together with a Rega dac R , and it sounds wonderful .

Last edited:
Hi @zacci I don't think the opamps are socketted for easy replacement. I only had a quick look but they look to be soldered to the board. Could be wrong. Unless you have experience in this type of thing you may not want to attempt this. Your warranty would presumably be void as well.
Yeah, sounds more like Raspberry Pi territory if you want to strip a consumer unit apart and tinker with its components for at best minimal gain 🤷‍♂️

Thank you all for your replies!

Soldering is not a problem. I checked pins 7 and 4 and measured 24v voltage. Rev.4 motherboard. It differs from previous versions.
It has 2 VENT 4700uf 10v capacitors. Is this worth changing to Nichicon?
If engineer from Wiim is here, my question would be why did they use a VENT capacitor? Cost savings?
I'm trying to identify the by-pass capacitor on the SA5534, but I don't know exactly which pins it's connected to. Is there any at all? Can someone tell me from a picture?
The dip8 socket would fit in the housing, but it is possible that I will directly solder the new OPA.

It is certainly good news for me that the SMSL su1 also has an AKM4493SEQ DAC, but with a more serious OPA and in principle it sounds better. Then there is also a chance for tuning on the Wiim :)

Here are some pictures of the rev.4 motherboard:
1702805968591.png
1702806101470.png

it will end in 1611 and with a nice capacitor in power supply
;-)
(a few measurements would be nice...subjective comparisons are much more delicate*... the future streamer of wiim probably use 1612... ;-) )
(*captures on a very good ADC with the different options remaining one of the rare options to consider...the irony as somes will perhaps be equipped with numerous 553* ....hihi)

v04....ahh.. interesting...
if wiim can enlighten us on what was achieved between v03 and v04 and why??

Last edited:
Devices reporting PCB 2 via api ("V1" revision) are with V03 motherboard. PCB 3 ("V2" revision) are probably with V04 motherboard.

Thank you all for your replies!

Soldering is not a problem. I checked pins 7 and 4 and measured 24v voltage. Rev.4 motherboard. It differs from previous versions.
It has 2 VENT 4700uf 10v capacitors. Is this worth changing to Nichicon?
If engineer from Wiim is here, my question would be why did they use a VENT capacitor? Cost savings?
I'm trying to identify the by-pass capacitor on the SA5534, but I don't know exactly which pins it's connected to. Is there any at all? Can someone tell me from a picture?
The dip8 socket would fit in the housing, but it is possible that I will directly solder the new OPA.

It is certainly good news for me that the SMSL su1 also has an AKM4493SEQ DAC, but with a more serious OPA and in principle it sounds better. Then there is also a chance for tuning on the Wiim :)

Here are some pictures of the rev.4 motherboard:
View attachment 4088
View attachment 4089
This brings back memories of mods on my Marantz CD 63 during the -90.

If you can desolder smd components without difficulty then go ahead and do it.
Opa1611 is better than ne5534 no doubt.
Maybe the whole analog section is slightly compromised,? it seems to be that those IC:s is driven by rather low voltage. Maybe not a problem , but… Im comparing now with the best DAC implementations I have seen like Linn Selekt and the Benchmark dacs . Many of them use regulators for 15 V output.

I would also check if the line output has a capacitor blocking DC , and of what quality ?

Optimal line output impedance would also be about 100-200 Ohm set by a resistor .
Is the muting set by a transistor or relays ?

Last edited:
You do realise the Topping PSU is under the spec for the PP+ it only has 1A for its usb you need more than that for the PP+

but… Im comparing now with the best DAC implementations I have seem like Linn Selekt and the Benchmark dacs . Many of them use regulators for 15 V output.
Comparing the DAC implementation of a Pro Plus at £219 with a Linn Selekt at between £5k-17K? Hallowed company indeed. I'll check if my Pro Plus can take the new Utopik PSU upgrade ;) 🤣

You do realise the Topping PSU is under the spec for the PP+ it only has 1A for its usb you need more than that for the PP+
I know.
I measured its current consumption and approx. 0.5A in all cases. It does not go above 0.6-7A even during a fw update.

Comparing the DAC implementation of a Pro Plus at £219 with a Linn Selekt at between £5k-17K? Hallowed company indeed. I'll check if my Pro Plus can take the new Utopik PSU upgrade ;) 🤣
Oh dear. A Linn man 😂 I visited Audio Republic in Gateshead this summer to audition a truly outrageous (£150k) Linn stereo (with Qudos speakers). It sounded like pants!
I have an LP12 c.1979 it's ok. Bought on a student grant to replace my Garrard 401.
My deck has the original fluted plinth which I'm advised sounds much better!😂

Ofcourse its rather unfair comparison, but….:)

If this WiiM pro + will play with the big boys regarding sound quality from the analog outputs they need comparisons with the best, ie selekt or Benchmark dac 3 . As a transport, I have already shown in another thread that a WiiM pro with a better power supply is as good sounding as a Klimax DS/0 from 2007. Thats rather good I think .

One probably need to max out the IC:s at the analog stage with 15 volt power to get the best sound from opa1611 .
And ne5534 is probably not good enough for having the best sound.

Last edited:
Back