Wiim Pro+ OPAMP replace

I can't understand this.
It's one of the most common arguments in case of any enhancements in audio - darker / more black background. And one of the easiest to verify when talking about output noise levels.

Should the VENT condenser be replaced? I don't know this brand.
Hi, what was the final verdict? Is it difficult to remove board soldered opamps or are these in some kind of a socket or can a socket be put in easily enough? I was thinking of going all out and buying sparkos cuz I really like this unit

Hi, what was the final verdict? Is it difficult to remove board soldered opamps or are these in some kind of a socket or can a socket be put in easily enough? I was thinking of going all out and buying sparkos cuz I really like this unit

just look at the photos above..
cms....

Zacci,

Hello. Congratulations on the opamp upgrade. I have not done this myself, but I have the help of a friend who is able to do so.
If you can advise, please ?
1. Do I need to determine which motherboard or revision that I have ?
2. The capacitor upgrade / change: was it necessary ? Would that relate to which motherboard / revision I have ? Did it help ?
3.. I am willing to spend a little more on the opamp. Which opamp would be the best available for the location ? I want the biggest upgrade that I can get as I plan on using the wiim for years.

Last edited:
Zacci,

Hello. Congratulations on the opamp upgrade. I have not done this myself, but I have the help of a friend who is able to do so.
2. The capacitor upgrade / change: was it necessary ? Would that relate to which motherboard / revision I have ? Did it help ?
3.. I am willing to spend a little more on the opamp. Which opamp would be the best available for the location ? I want the biggest upgrade that I can get as I plan on using the wiim for years.
The question was not for me, but I would use a bipolar IC . Opa 1611 is probably the best one.
If something goes wrong with changing IC, the unit will be destroyed and theres no guaranty. As I pointed out earlier - the voltage driving the two IC is probably to low for sota performance.
That said, I think opa 1611 will probably be an audible upgrade for the sound. Maybe Zacci has already done it ?

Last edited:
The question was not for me, but I would use a bipolar IC . Opa 1611 is probably the best one.
If something goes wrong with changing IC, the unit will be destroyed and theres no guaranty. As I pointed out earlier - the voltage driving the two IC is probably to low for sota performance.
That said, I think opa 1611 will probably be an audible upgrade for the sound. Maybe Zacci has already done it ?
Thank you for your response. I gathered from the pictures that he probably already did do it. I was wondering if the 1656 is even better than the 1611 and I was wondering if you needed to do or (should do) that cap upgrade that it seems like he did. For an even higher end op amp I contacted sparkos and their opamp is a replacement, but I'm wondering how much space is inside the lWiim ? Are there two boards in there leaving just a little space between? The sparkos. is kind of tall

Thank you for your response. I gathered from the pictures that he probably already did do it. I was wondering if the 1656 is even better than the 1611 and I was wondering if you needed to do or (should do) that cap upgrade that it seems like he did. For an even higher end op amp I contacted sparkos and their opamp is a replacement, but I'm wondering how much space is inside the lWiim ? Are there two boards in there leaving just a little space between? The sparkos. is kind of tall
you realize that you are facing a dac approach that sells for like 80 dollars in finished product..? (but in fact often mounted in 1611, the modern 553* according to smsl topping etc in the little race for ASR-style mesureaments)
☺️
(ps maybe the idea of a wiim pro and an external dac would be more sensible...?.
ps bis I repeat... it's cms , adaptator etc etc;-) )

Last edited:
Thanks Canard,

I appreciate your response. I generally like the sound of the wiim through the analog outs. And I do also have an external DAC I switch back and forth. After reading the original posters comments and the improvement he said he noticed from switching to the 1611.... I have thought about doing the same thing but with even better opamps. In the long run the $80 for op amps and or caps is a worth it to me if it will make a noticeable improvement.

Thanks again. I don't know enough about opamps to know whether they are drop in or there's a lot of other engineering that goes around it: Current and voltage, etc.... That would need to be adjusted or regulated along with the change of opamp ?

I wish the OP would come back and visit his thread

Zacci,

Hello,

Thank you!

The version of the motherboard is not important.
I haven't replaced the capacitor yet.
I originally wanted to buy the OPA627, but it is currently not available in my local store.
Instead, I bought the OPA1611 for much cheaper. Not sure if the OPA627 would be that much better, but it is much more expensive.
In principle, the OPA627 works in the Wiim. Pin compatible, but OPA1611 is Bipolar, OPA627 is FET. I don't know how much that matters. I'm not an expert.
Many people have already changed from SA5534 to OPA627 in different devices and there were no problems.

Last edited:
Thanks Canard,

I appreciate your response. I generally like the sound of the wiim through the analog outs. And I do also have an external DAC I switch back and forth. After reading the original posters comments and the improvement he said he noticed from switching to the 1611.... I have thought about doing the same thing but with even better opamps. In the long run the $80 for op amps and or caps is a worth it to me if it will make a noticeable improvement.

Thanks again. I don't know enough about opamps to know whether they are drop in or there's a lot of other engineering that goes around it: Current and voltage, etc.... That would need to be adjusted or regulated along with the change of opamp ?

I wish the OP would come back and visit his thread
The OPA1611 is a reasonable upgrade in my opinion. Good value for money. Maybe the circuit design doesn't deserve better, I don't know.

Hello,

Thank you!

The version of the motherboard is not important.
I haven't replaced the capacitor yet.
I originally wanted to buy the OPA627, but it is currently not available in my local store.
Instead, I bought the OPA1611 for much cheaper. Not sure if the OPA627 would be that much better, but it is much more expensive.
In principle, the OPA627 works in the Wiim. Pin compatible, but OPA1611 is Bipolar, OPA627 is FET. I don't know how much that matters. I'm not an expert.
Opa1611 is compatible with ne5534, both are bipolar. There is probably no better IC for this application than 1611 , but the voltage is probably compromised ( to low ) to get sota performance soundvice. Have you desoldered the ne5534 and soldered the 1611 ? I guess it wasnt easy? Is there any risk of damaging the board with to high temperature ?

Opa1611 is compatible with ne5534, both are bipolar. There is probably no better IC for this application than 1611 , but the voltage is probably compromised ( to low ) to get sota performance soundvice. Have you desoldered the ne5534 and soldered the 1611 ? I guess it wasnt easy? Is there any risk of damaging the board with to high temperature ?
I checked pins 7 and 4 and measured 24v voltage.That doesn't seem low to me
if you can solder, it won't be a problem.

I dont believe that. The ne5534 destroys with voltage higher than 20 V . https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/ne5534-d.pdf

Please take a picture of your modification with 1611 otherwise I think your are pulling our legs. To other readers - dont do any modification If youre not sure what youre doing !

Last edited:
You said earlier you didnt have any measurement instrument ? Unsoldering smd components without the right skills and tools are almost impossible.

Last edited:
I dont believe that. The ne5534 destroys with voltage higher than 20 V . https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/ne5534-d.pdf

Please take a picture of your modification with 1611 otherwise I think your are pulling our legs. To other readers - dont do any modification If youre not sure what youre doing !
please don't be smart, just look at my previous posts. RTFF!
I measured 24v on the power pins. I measured it several times.

Last edited:
Back