Wiim Pro+ OPAMP replace

I have a rev. 2 board version.

Hmmm.... Does that change how, why, or even if I should consider the op-amp upgrade ? Was the bass distortion issue addressed with a software or firmware edition for my unit and earlier units or are we just out of luck ?

Last edited:
I have a rev. 2 board version.

Hmmm.... Does that change how, why, or even if I should consider the op-amp upgrade ? Was the bass distortion issue addressed with a software or firmware edition for my unit and earlier units or are we just out of luck ?
Which “bass distortion issue”?

I learned about it here and at the dreaded ASR. There was a revision 3 PCB to deal with it. If I recall correctly it was low frequency distortion. I have not looked at it in a while because I thought I had a newer revision, but I have the one before the fix.

I learned about it here and at the dreaded ASR. There was a revision 3 PCB to deal with it. If I recall correctly it was low frequency distortion. I have not looked at it in a while because I thought I had a newer revision, but I have the one before the fix.
The your version? Thanks

kirkoff,
I have PCB 2
Here is something about it. I think discussion might follow

kirkoff,
I have PCB 2
Here is something about it. I think discussion might follow

Thanks.
From V03 is ok? The improvements in v04 respect V03? Do you know? Thanks

Finally changed opapmp too.
With OPA1611 lower frequencies gave wow effect 🤩 So much better bass extension and articulation.
"shhh" from vocals feels sliiightly less annoying. Satisfied more with this mod, very nice soundstage.

Thanks for advice on this forum 👌

PXL_20240130_100520601.jpg

recognize that the thing that would be most relevant would be to be able to compare an unmodified "plus" and one in 1611 on demanding audio files of acoustic type and in uncompressed quality..
but I do not believe that in the future wiim will no longer be required save on the 1611 on its future products or the modern 553* even if 1611 is noticeably more expensive
;-)

Last edited:
Did all of these units have SE5534 ? I recall reading (I think) that they ran out of 1611 at one point ? Maybe some already have those ?

Did all of these units have SE5534 ? I recall reading (I think) that they ran out of 1611 at one point ? Maybe some already have those ?
I have never heard this story and all the actors in this thread point to 5534.. simply open your machine and observe which AOP you have installed
;-)

TI has discontinued the 5534. WIIM will have to look for an alternative over time. Fortunately, there are plenty.

a 1611 is near 4 times more expensive....
(but we find it, it seems to me, now in standard even on modest DACs at 80 dollars ,same akm base etc... evb akm in sym with dual 1612)

Last edited:
hmm, perhaps WiiM will offer a Pro Plus Special Edition with these upgrades.
That would be nice, but I believe the will not do it because of marketing reason. The coming WiiM ultra will probably have opa1611 or 1612 ( my five cents ) .

I hope so!
If there are ne5534 in the Ultra it would be a compromise. The competition in form of eversolo dmp a6 use better ICs than 5534.

(Edit : Eversolo dmp a6 standard uses opa1642 and the signature model uses opa1612.)

Last edited:
Back