WiiM Viewer Chrome Extension

Updated one final time, metadata will now update continuously while the popup is open, vs the one-shot WiiM query before. Will at some point move this up to github.

Any chance you could create a simple full screen Android TV app for this as well? Would be amazing! If not, I'll try to look into it myself. Eager to learn! 😁

I've just tried sideloading the WiiM Home app on my Chromecast with Google TV, but it's not ideal 😅

This targets the Inovato Quadra, which is essentially an inexpensive Android TV box running a Linux variant.

Well… that was easy. Plugged in my el cheapo T95 Android TV box, installed the Kiwi browser, downloaded the .zip from this thread, installed it as an extension, configured the ip address, and voila! It works!

It’s written for a small pop up, but loads as a tab in Kiwi, so will need some minor code changes, but pretty cool that it works.

chrome_screenshot_Feb 21, 2023 5_25_44 PM PST.png

Added a slightly modified version for the Kiwi browser on an Android TV box in first post of this thread.

A $29 T95 Android TV box driving a 24" display on the Kiwi browser. Doesn't appear to be a way to force Kiwi to full-screen, but not horrible.

1677037054231.png

Kiwi browser's Night Mode:

1677037293333.png

Last edited:
Kiwi browser is nowhere to be found in the Google TV Playstore. I think the T95 is running standard Android 10 with a skin maybe?

Yep, they run Android, and have the standard Play Store installed. Mine runs Android 9, but others now run 10 or 11.

I'll try sideloading it later, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with the app in portrait mode again.

Playing around with the idea of a Deezer option. Is anyone using Deezer? It's one of the few services that has a fully documented, published API which is pretty nice and easy to use. There don't appear to be any album review or artist bios, though - am I missing something?

1677692115832.png

I had a sub to Deezer years ago, IIRC an annual sub that was super inexpensive due to some sort of discount. I remember at the time, Flow would start out playing what I liked, then would start playing completely unrelated garbage. I had to give up on it as a result. I've been listening to Flow the last couple of days - looks like that nasty old habit has perhaps been fixed. We'll see. Zero ads so far, freebie account, 128kbps. Nice "radio" for background music.

I had a sub to Deezer years ago, IIRC an annual sub that was super inexpensive due to some sort of discount. I remember at the time, Flow would start out playing what I liked, then would start playing completely unrelated garbage. I had to give up on it as a result. I've been listening to Flow the last couple of days - looks like that nasty old habit has perhaps been fixed. We'll see. Zero ads so far, freebie account, 128kbps. Nice "radio" for background music.
Whereas I trialed Deezer a month or so ago and gave up on it partly because of Flow.
I liked that Flow was so easy to use from within the wiim app (apart from the favourite icon being hidden in a menu, and that menu often not displaying properly, i.e. not showing all menu items, when selected!),
I imported about 1500 favourites from other services to give Deezer something to work with, and Flow was a great 'radio' to start with.
When it worked.
It'd often not allow me to skip a song (the next button would be greyed out, and seeking within the song didn't work either) and it'd sometimes behave like a very small playlist, and only play those 6 songs over and over. Both those issues happened within the Deezer app too, so not a wiim issue.

Then Flow would get fixated on one particular genre and I'd hear pretty much the same songs over and over and over with very little new stuff being ofered up.

The only service that seemed to like giving me completly unrelated garbge was Qobuz's weekly Q.
But maybe that's better in a way than getting nothing new or being stuck in a rut from either Deezer Flow or Amazon Soundtrack after a while?

I really like the idea of having what's playing on the Wiim being displayed on another device with a screen, unfortunately the device I wanted to use is too old for this app or for the Wiim app, is it possible to display what's playing on an Echo show?

I really like the idea of having what's playing on the Wiim being displayed on another device with a screen, unfortunately the device I wanted to use is too old for this app or for the Wiim app, is it possible to display what's playing on an Echo show?
No, unless you’re playing music in an Alexa multi room music group with your Show and Wiim, but be aware that will be limited to 16/48 at best using a WiiM Pro, and lossy SD if using a WiiM Mini. The echo shows are primarily display interfaces to Alexa, don’t run apps and aren’t general purpose devices where you can easily do things like that,

No, unless you’re playing music in an Alexa multi room music group with your Show and Wiim, but be aware that will be limited to 16/48 at best using a WiiM Pro, and lossy SD if using a WiiM Mini. The echo shows are primarily display interfaces to Alexa, don’t run apps and aren’t general purpose devices where you can easily do things like that,
Why there is such difference between WiiM Pro and WiiM Mini?

Back