Test WIIM pro+ with different power supplies

I’m really interested in upgrading the WiiM power supply. Would anyone be able to post some WiiM’s SNAD measurements w. different power supplies. I’ve been searching around so far what I saw at most were just measurements of the power supplies themselves. Thank you

That is OK if the measurements are the same, what really matters is how it sounds:)

Of course how it sounds is what really matters. And it's OK when it sounds the same too.

Yep, I agree. I also know beyond a doubt mine sounded just a bit better, clearer, more detailed, with the iFi PS.....But.....

Once I do a serious test I might even prefer the stock PS, I am one to be pretty open minded about such things, different is not always better, different is what gets far to much mislabeled attention in the crazy world of high cost audio. I have been to big audio shows and asked one vendor to turn down the gain as it was distorting and sounded horrible and they acted offended. At the same show the very best sounding system by far to me was at least ten times less the cost of the one that everyone thought was the best there.....

I have not tested the other PS's I am going to, been busy on our remodel and building a new(from mostly used parts) computer that had three major issues to sort out, great fun that was....

I search for the middle ground and what I hope to believe the truth in all things, religion, government, social "norms", and stay away from the dogma of the far extremes most all things humans seem to fall into.

I just would underline that the use of a decent linear power supply ensures that no HF-garbage is being emitted by a cheap and questionable switching power supply.
Even if the WIIM pro plus might "ignore" this HF-garbage - my analogue pre- and power amplifiers might not, as this HF-garbage ist not only emitted towards the WIIM pro plus but aswell back into the mains...
So I always do seek to keep the complete chain free from unnecessary "pollution".
The price of around 80,-- EUR for the LPS is -to my mind- modest enough.

Being linear is not mandatory here. Which leaves an open question - is it better to choose a high quality SMPS or similarly priced cheap LPS.

Being linear is not mandatory here. Which leaves an open question - is it better to choose a high quality SMPS or similarly priced cheap LPS.
Very good question. I believe some high end manufactures specifically use (high quality) SMPS in preference to LPS.
I'll have to get searching / reading again; been a while since I found / read that.

Very good question. I believe some high end manufactures specifically use (high quality) SMPS in preference to LPS.
I'll have to get searching / reading again; been a while since I found / read that.
Yeah, Linn’s Utopik power supply/module which comes in at £1350 is SMPS.

I use the LHY LPS, or Jay's Audio, same unit. They do make a difference, at least to my ear, and do not break the bank. I think the more sensitive your speakers are the more you will hear these SQ improvements. At least that is my experience with a pair of KLH Model 5's vs a pair of Zu Omen Dirty Weekends and their new DW6 Supremes. The difference on the Model 5's was negligible. The Zu's, immediate and noticeable. Just my experience, no measurements taken. Even the ifi power supply sold on Amazon made a positive SQ improvement, I think it is still around $79. I would recommend either, the LHY or ifi over the WiiM usb power supply.

The IFI iPower X performs well, it is 109, but they do pop up on the used market for less. It is at least as good or better than similarly priced linear supplies from Ali Express. Type isn't most important, build is. There just happen to be a gazillion of badly made smps's out there because they are cheaper, lighter en more efficient than linear solutions. Just not good for audio because noise isn't a factor in most applications so manufacturers couldn't care less.

I just would underline that the use of a decent linear power supply ensures that no HF-garbage is being emitted by a cheap and questionable switching power supply.
Even if the WIIM pro plus might "ignore" this HF-garbage - my analogue pre- and power amplifiers might not, as this HF-garbage ist not only emitted towards the WIIM pro plus but aswell back into the mains...
So I always do seek to keep the complete chain free from unnecessary "pollution".
The price of around 80,-- EUR for the LPS is -to my mind- modest enough.
A linear power supply also pollute the mains somewhat. And the magnetic field from the linear transformer can pollute nearby electronics.

A big 12 volt battery and a lm1084 regulator set at 8 volt followed by another linear regulator set at 5 volt is probably the best option, it will lower the batterys high output impedance . No pollution on the grid and the double regulation makes the ripple very low. Left is the noise from the regulator. I did try double regulation:

IMG_0848.jpeg

Last edited:
That LM3042 looks like a pretty kick butt IC. Very high specs. Data sheet has everything needed to DIY a supply.
Yes, Im not an expert but it cant deliver the current needed to drive a WiiM pro+. lm3042 is only spec at 0.2 A. You will need at least 1 A spec to be sure longtherm.
A lt1084 is better at delivering current and wont overheat with a proper heatsink.

Last edited:

Apple USB supplies are very good. Pick one with USB-A out and 5W or so.

Apple USB supplies are very good. Pick one with USB-A out and 5W or so.
Those are made for quickly charging iPhones, not for Audio. Don't buy it from shady sellers because they will likely be fakes.

I bought the Apple charger on for $6.49, there is info I believe on this thread about getting a real one. I have not tested it yet, using the iFi, will do so when I get done redoing some remodeling plans and modding my computers.

I bought the Apple charger on for $6.49, there is info I believe on this thread about getting a real one. I have not tested it yet, using the iFi, will do so when I get done redoing some remodeling plans and modding my computers.
Please report your findings.

Back